AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a AV stand from Standout Designs and replacing my Denon AVR-4800 with a Denon AVR-4311ci soon, and want to add two more surrounds to improve my sound. My home theater is in my living room, and it's size, height, and being open to three other rooms presents a challenge.

I have Klipsch Reference Series fronts & center, and a SVS powered cylinder sub. The rears are MTX in-wall speakers installed by a installer when the house was built. They are mounted up 10' with tweeters tilted down. I can rarely hear these speakers, that is until I was up on a ladder painting yesterday. That inspired me even more to do something about the speakers.

Since this is my living room, I would like to keep it looking nice, and therefore, would like the surrounds to be either in-wall or modest sized speakers. As you will see in the attached photos, my only mounting option for the left side of the room which is open to the dining room, is 8' high on a beam.

The room is 17' x 24' with 14' ceilings, so I would think ceiling speakers would get lost. I started by looking at Klipsch's surrounds in an attempt to keep the speakers matched, but their options are big. I considered the RS-42II and thought I would mount them vertical so I could get the speakers to point down to the listening area. But, they are black and the mounting bracket allows for horizontal mounting.

So, I just started searching on amazon just to see what was out there for surrounds. I came across Definitive Tech articulating wall brackets for the ProMonitor 800 bookshelf speaker. They also have a Pro-Mount 90 which works with ProMonitor 1000, Mythos Gem XL and various others. I also saw Polk Audio OWN3 on-wall speakers that come in white, and appear to have a variety of mounting angle options.

Should I only consider the Klipsch to match my fronts, or are one of these other speaker options a viable alternative. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in another post, that if you want someone to provide a recommendation, it helps to give your budget. The max I am looking to spend on a pair of surrounds is $550. I might replace the rears too if I end up really liking the surrounds.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I would take a look at the Emotiva ERD-1's. Two pairs, currently on Holiday special, would run you $580 (for 4 speakers total). They are switchable bipole/dipole speakers, so they spread the sound really well. They are also the most shallow speakers I've seen, at just 4.25", so their low profile would help with aesthetics and proper placement of the rears well below where the in-walls are now. While mounting the sides so high would present a challenge, you can probably figure out a way to tilt those toward the listener.

That said, your Klipsch fronts have a somewhat unique design and sound, so it MAY be better to stick with Klipsch all the way around. The good news is that Emotiva has a 30-day in-home audition policy.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew Klipsch was my best option, but I don't they don't offer surrounds in white, and I really want white.

I looked at the Emotiva ERD-1's but they too only come in black. Since I am purchasing an Emotiva Amp, maybe I should just purchase a pair of these and try them out. May I can replace the speaker cloth with white speaker cloth. $580 is a pretty good deal for four, since I was prepared to spend $550 for each pair. Are the Emotiva's high sensitive surrounds?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy /forum/post/0

I knew Klipsch was my best option, but I don't they don't offer surrounds in white, and I really want white.

I looked at the Emotiva ERD-1's but they too only come in black. Since I am purchasing an Emotiva Amp, maybe I should just purchase a pair of these and try them out. May I can replace the speaker cloth with white speaker cloth. $580 is a pretty good deal for four, since I was prepared to spend $550 for each pair. Are the Emotiva's high sensitive surrounds?

They have a fairly high sensitivity for 4-ohm high-power surrounds, and they really come alive when they're paired with an Emotiva amp. I push mine with a UPA-7, and they're simply amazing.

White speakers? That presents a challenge...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kathy, not sure where you got with your speaker purchase, but if you are still looking for a surround speaker, especially in white, you might want to consider the Wharfedale DFS models. I just picked up a set of these from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Evolu...item256072b281

My room dictates that I need wall mounted speakers that would accommodate somewhat "off-spec" mounting locations. In my case they will be quite close to the ceiling, just beside a door. I'm going to mount them using an articulated speaker mount to allow me to play around with the orientation of the speakers.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts