Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am evaluating the real estate in my HT room and planned on placing my dipole speakers (Paradigm ADP's, which are 180º dipoles) into columns. Since my room has a rough length (i.e. framed, non-drywalled) of 26'3", I am thinking of two pairs of columns, with the forward-most pair of columns containing my surround speakers.

According to my Pioneer Elite's manual, the THX model shows the 180º dipole speakers being placed such that the front edge of the forward-firing driver of a 180º dipole surround speaker should be aligned with the 1st row's listener's ears, which if the center channel is at a 0º position with respect to the listener, the surrounds would be some +/-90º offset to the center channel angle.

Ok, but I have a problem. Because of the planned screen size determines a screen width, which determines the seated position of the viewer in the 1st-row, this places the first column (which has to be 12" wide since the ADP is that dang wide) in a position that encroaches about 6" upon the HT room's entrance.

Now, a friend has suggested that I could move the entrance to the HT room and this in and of itself is a good suggestion. I do not typically fear playing with load-bearing walls (already removed one), but the wall the door is on is a load-bearing wall with a real load on it (not like the previous wall I removed).

Also, this wall already has the skeletal frame for the soffits in place and the about 20" to the side (and in the direction of the suggested door-move) of the entrance is the main electrical panel.

So, I have to ask, what would you do when placing your surrounds in a less-than amicable scenario? I know the surrounds do not have to be placed into columns (no real reason for the columns except to control potential room modes; act as dampeners) but even dry-hanging the 180º dipoles at the proper locations still has the same problem.

Now, I had planned on placing the screen on the given particular short wall because its a poured concrete wall with 2x4 false-wall covering it. If I choose the opposite short wall (which has a 2x4 framed false wall covering a 2x6 wall with two daylight basement windows in it) I will be firing my main loudspeakers in the direction of the covered poured concrete wall. Would refection still be a strong problem if this concrete wall is covered with a 2x4 false wall?

The original room had two short (12'8") walls and two long (26'8") walls. One of the short walls was formed from poured concrete, which I framed over using 2x4's. Also, one of the long walls was formed from a staggered poured concrete/2x6 frame, which I framed over using 2x4's. As noted above, the other short wall was framed-over, too. I'm now wondering if I should reverse the layout along the length of the room, but did not want to create another problem I just have yet to become consciously aware of.

So, did anyone else also run into problems with surround placements following the THX model? I hear, no pun intended, that you should absolutely not place the surrounds ahead of the 1st-row listener. Did anyone do this anyway, hehe?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the rough layout of the room I am forming in the basement. The perimeter walls are already in place, but the wall with the door (entrance) is a pre-existing interior load-bearing wall. Just to the right of that door there is the main electrical panel.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/joe6pack...c_Layout_1.jpg

Notice that the Left Surround speaker is encroaching upon the doorway. This is because the screen size defines the seating distance, which in turn defines surround speaker placement. I wanted to place these 180º dipoles into columns, which makes this doorway/layout a problem.

I could attempt to frame this doorway shut and knock out a couple of 2x6 studs that are supporting this load-bearing wall, and that would create an opening in the extreme right-side of the same wall.

I originally was wanting columns to break up any reverb/modes in the room and was thinking of two pairs of columns at the 8' and 12' mark, but these locations are useless when talking about surround speaker integration. And having a single pair of columns would look ...

Suggestions?

PS I am planning on constructing a riser behind this primary seating position for another sofa. I just could not figure out how to get 3DHA to raise the flooring. Instead, I had a second sofa hovering in mid air.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/joe6pack...c_Layout_1.jpg

·
Registered
616 Posts
As a journeyman ISM (Interior System Mechanic) I wouldn't wory about moving the door over. Knock out the drywall in the front portion as close to the door as possible put in a metal floor jack or 3 2X6's nailled together & do the same back of where your new door will be & knock er down. You could also frame in the existing door way before knocking out the studs & that would eliminate the need for the front jack/2x6's.

I would ask the pro's on this site first for how close to the golden room dimensions you are in relation to your seating positons before doing any further construction.

Dougofthenorth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.