AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on surround speaker placement - and would like some help from anyone with a similiar room setup. My room is 21 x 14 with my RPTV and speakers placed DIAGIONALLY in a corner. The surround speakers are placed in the back on the long walls to the L and R of the room. I have 2 couches (listening positions) - #1 placed in a line between the 2 surrounds (ideal surround positon but less than ideal TV viewing angle) and another #2 couch placed along the long wall opposite the TV (ideal TV viewing angle but less than ideal surround position). If you are sitting on the end of the #2 couch you are pretty far from the surround speakers.

Would a second set of surround speakers help? I'm thinking of putting one surround along the long wall to the back L of the room and another along the long wall to the front R of the room. I would then put 2 surround back speakers in the back corner where the long wall and short wall intersect - behind the corner formed by the 2 couches. I hope this makes sense?

Does anybody have a similiar room situation? What have you done? I'm thinking it may be an improvement for the #2 couch but may actually take away from the surround experiene on the #1 couch?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Interesting challenge.

Any chance you can upload a scan showing doorways, windows and current configuration of furniture and home theater?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a diagram that I created in Excel, howeer, I can't figure out how to post it??

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enclosed is a crude diagram. Couch #1 extends from the noted positon down and couch #2 extends from the noted position L and R. The spot marked 1? is where I was thinking of adding a surround back and the spot marked 2? was where I was thinking of putting the right surround speaker.

I look forward to some suggestions. Thanks.

ht text.txt 0.333984375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was planning a setup very simmular to yours. Your diagram gave me a good Idea. The surround speakers I have seem to be very directional. you could place a LS at your 1? and a RS at 2?. As long as your surrounds are (somewhat) directional it should work and sound well. If your surrounds are NOT directional you might try moving your RS to position 2?. The surround effects are supposed to be like echos and such and could increase thier soundfield size making your ideal seats sound even better if your surrounds are of good quality. I would tend towards my second option due to cost unless your couches are normally full of friends.

Please post back, I am very interested how this might turn out.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Hi Mit

I've been studying the diagram and had a couple of questions for you.

Does your receiver/amp have a provision for dual set of rear effect speakers, 6.1 or 7.1.

Is couch number 1 away from the left wall a few feet and couch number 2 against the wall.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The enclosed diagram is slightly better. Couch #1 is centered between the 2 long walls and 5 feet from the back wall. Couch #2 is up against the long wall. I have a Pioneer Elite with 7.1 processing.

I'm very interested in hearing how others have set up surrounds in similar rooms.

ht diagram.txt 0.36328125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
My initial idea is to set up a pair of monopole speakers on either side of couch 2 aimed at each other about 2 feet above ear level of a seated listener. This should give you a diffused effect channel for listeners on couch 2 that would fade enough to not affect those on couch 1. If your receiver allows matrixing of the left and right rear channels and output to six and seven and then wire these to the speakers for couch 2 . Effectively, this gives you 5.1 for couch 1 and prologic for couch 2. I would be careful about wiring both sets of effect speakers to a single set of terminals as this might overheat your amp. (wrong impedance not to mention how would you ever balance the effect speakers to the mains and center channel. Unfortunately, if you use your 6 and 7 channel outputs for the second set of surround speakers, you wouldn't be able to go to 7.1 at a later date without disrupting this system.

Something else that you might enjoy experimenting with is moving your existing left and right surround speakers forward a bit where they're just a little behind couch 1 and aim them at each other(up 2 feet from ear level). I've been playing with this lately and I'm concluding that it give a more enveloping rear sound field than when they were at the back wall facing forward.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't be shy - there must be others out there that have their TV and main speakers set up in a corner - and need to be creative with surround speakers. Especially here in New England where every home for the past 200 years has a fireplace in the middle of the room. Please let me hear your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This is really interesting to me, as I am dealing with a setup very simalar to this. I think I may have to go in ceiling speakers for my solution. I hope you get some good ideas from people as I will be interested to hear them too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.