AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently finishing my basement for my media room and have discovered that I'm going to have a bit of a problem with my surround speaker placement. Here's the room and the intended layout:

http://www.shagnog.com/misc/basement_dimensions2.gif

What that picture doesn't show is that the top surround speaker (in the picture) is actually right in the middle of a window. This won't work so well. :)

The problem is that the right edge of the window on the top wall is even with the left edge of the opening between the theater and pool table rooms. So, the only way I could position side surrounds would be to put them about 8' high (above the window). I'm assuming this would be a bad thing, right?

I had been planning to use Paradigm Reference Studio/ADP's on the side walls, but may not be able to now. So, looking at my room, can anyone make a suggestion for rear speaker placement and speakers (based on that placement)?

My mains and center are:

Paradigm Reference Studio 80's (v1)

Paradigm Reference Studio CC

I'd also like to be able to expand to 6.1 or 7.1 in the future, so take that into account.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
726 Posts
1. Depending on the TV size, you could consider moving your couch closer and thus the speakers. Your seating distance implies a very large screen, aka front projector. So unless that is in your plans, this might work.

2. I'm mounting the base of my surround speakers at a height of 7' because of a similar problem. This is close enough to recommended heights that I've seen that I'm hoping this works.

3. Build an extension of the stairwell wall (~1 ft) and move the speakers forward. This wouldn't have to be a complete wall, but just a frame mounted to the ceiling. Of course, you'll have to watch your head when you leave the stairwell.

4. When you migrate to 7.1 format, you dont' have a wall to mount one of your rear speakers. You might want to build a short wall to partially close off the back to mount this speaker. Or you might even build a full wall to fully close off the room.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm planning for a 60"-70" RPTV for this room. I tried pushing the couch forward of the doorway, but it's WAY too close, and it makes the room look really screwy. Optimal placement for the couch would put the centerline of the couch even with the left edge of the door, presenting the original problem.

I don't really want to build anything into the door frame, as I really like the large opening between the rooms. As for the back wall, I'm planning on putting large double-doors to close off that opening. I have placement for a rear center channel (at ear level), but not 2 rear surrounds. I do, however, have the ability to ceiling or high-wall mount 2 rear surrounds (there's a ceiling height difference at the large opening, which creates a lip). I just wonder if it would not give the right effect to have the 2 main surround and the 2 rear surrounds all on the same plane - seems like that might defeat the purpose.

Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm certainly considering that as an option. Basically, I'm trying to figure out the best option, considering the room:

-dipoles mounted 8' high to the sides of the couch (angled down, maybe?)

-direct radiators mounted at the back corners, aimed at listening couch

-third option?

The problem is, I want a diffuse rear sound field to accomodate various listening positions around the room. Dipoles are best designed for this, but direct radiators would be easier in my room. So, how do I accomplish the diffuse soundfield with direct radiators?

I'd like to find a way to use the dipoles effectively - any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You may consider using two StudioCC's on the lip, angled a bit downward. As center speakers they are designed for a wide, horizontal soundfield. Also, Sonance, NHT and others make excellent in-wall dipoles that can be mounted in the ceiling over the couch with a pair of tweeter/mids angled forward and one pair aft. Check the THX Sonance Cinema One.Sur. for starters. The install manual suggests this as a placement option.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think you're solving 2 problems: audio and visual. For the size TV you've suggested, a good seating distance (in order to feel like you're watching more than TV) will be 8-9' (60" diag) or 10-11' (70" diag). So you may want to experiment more with the placement of your couch.

Check out the technical section at the Dolby website ( www.dolby.com ). This shows various speaker configurations for movie and multi-channel audio. I posted a layout of my setup in the "theater construction" area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.