AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am a NOOB to the forum and theater room set up in general. I have been doing a lot of reading in the forum to help with setting up my room. There is a ton of information on the site, i have probably only scratch the surface. I am looking for some recommendations for surround speaker placement. I have read all the standard layout. I am sure as a lot of people it is not a fully committed theater room. It is in my basement. I have front and right side wall, no back wall and only 1/2 length wall on the left. The basement is a walk out so on the far left side there are windows the full length of the wall.

Speakers are Infinity P363, PC351, P163 (2)

Subwoofer is a JBL ES150PBK

Receiver is Pioneer 1123VSX

projector is an Epson 5020UBe

I have not placed the P163 yet and am thinking to set up 7.1 system so i need another pair. With the room layout being off center i am trying to determine where the best location is to intial place the surreounds and then adjust from there. I have included a link to the layout and a picture. I appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
30,536 Posts
The rear speakers are fine where you have them in the diagram. Just make sure you're pointing them down towards the main listening area and not the countertop (avoid those reflections).

I would mount the side speakers in-line with the main row of seats, to give some meaningful rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. I use four Infinity P153 (smaller siblings of your surrounds), also mounted sideways and tilted down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moving the side more forward is easy enough. the only thing i was concerned with is the spaeker on the right wall side would not have a left wall to reflect off of and is almost above the person sitting closest to the wall

·
Registered
30,536 Posts
The only way to restore symmetry in the surround field is to cover the right wall with broadband absorption opposite where the left wall is missing. The fact that the speaker will be above the listener's head means that it will be firing away from them, so it won't be distracting to have it nearby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts