AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
due to a change in the arrangement of my living room, my surround speakers can no lnger be behind me on stands. the couch is right up against the wall. due to the window and door layout the only place i can install them is on the celing, high in the corners, or on the walls just slightly ahead of the couch........the last being the easiest. has anyone else used a similar layout with fairly good results??

thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dirk,

We had the same situation in my old house. We had the rears about 2 feet above seated ear level on each side of the couch. They were positioned and aimed slightly down towards the couch but not directly at the listener. While not the best choice for placement it was acceptable for us at the time. Go with an adjustable speaker bracket rather than a shelf or something like that. This way you can experiment with the best way to angle the speakers up and down, right and left.

Good luck,

Rob

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Rob.....

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Dirk is speaking of surrounds. Rob is talking 'rear surrounds' which might imply Rob has side surrounds as well.

In any case, the "surrounds" go to the side of the listening position, not the rear (unless you're still using nothing but Pro-Logic). You'd have 'rear surrounds' in addition to side surrounds only if you're using a 7.1 system, THX Ultra2 system, THX EX or DTS ES.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found some brackets that will let me place my speakers to the side of the listening position, but i will have to place the horizontally. Would the best layout be with the tweeters to the front of the room, toward the front speakers, or toward the rear, toward the rear wall...........

I dont know if it will mater much either way, but as i have to drill holes in my speakers, i only want to do it once!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.