AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots of threads on this and seen lots of good things for different speakers. I would like to find a reasonable set that will work well with the layout of my living room and furniture.

Please see pics.

1. 5.1 vs simulated surround: The problem is wiring - I have a wooden floor and the left rear would be hard to run a clean wire (signal or power) to - otherwise I would think wireless rear speakers would work well.

2. Speaker size: What size type of speakers would work well for a room this size?

3. Speaker height: I would guess some tall tower or speakers on stands would work in the front?

4. Sub placement: by the TV there is an exterior glass door on one side and an open doorway on the other. Should the sub be in the back of the room under the table?

5. I currently have the TV where it is the illustration. I could hang it beside the fireplace but it would create an awkward location for the cable box, receiver etc... Any suggestions?

6. Is wireless junk or would it serve me well?

PIC1
PIC2
PIC3
PDF1
PDF2
SH3D file in case you are interested...

I don't have access to a camera so I have attached a layout I made in " Sweet Home 3D ". And yes, I went a little over board....

Thanks in advance for the help!

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen all too many places where the TV is placed above a fireplace or 3/4 towards the ceiling or equivalent.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Think about this. If you were to watch a 2-2 /1/2 hour movie, you would need to tilt your head up to see your set. After a while, you're going to get a pretty good neckache. Also consider this. Assuming you have an LCD flat panel, viewing at an off-angle would result in less than optimal blacks and contrast, unless you tilt the unit.

The concensus around here and in other sites is that the centre of your TV screen should be placed at eye-level when you are comfortably seated on your sofa or seating area. Contrary to what the "glossy magazines" show, this means that for the vast majority of us, the TV would be positioned somewhere in the lower half wall, assuming an 8-9 foot ceiling.

For your speakers, may I direct you to the following site:

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/index.html

For your front L/R speakers, the size of your room will dictate whether or not you are fine with bookshelves or towers. Whatever you choose, I forget where I read this, but the tweeters of your speakers should be positioned at ear level when you are comfortably seated in your sofa/seating area.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the hardest part for me is to find a good set for the front - towers or satellites on stands.

And for the rear - if I do towers in front, placement may be difficult to have complimentary towers.

If I do rear saltellites I would gess the need to be high wall, or ceiling mounted. If so, where? Feel free to 'shop the pics I posted for examples.

Or do I just ignore rears and get a 3.1 setup.

If I can figure those questions out I can find some of the speakers suggested on the other 5.1 posts from today. (I guess it is "Five Point One Friday.
")

This is to go with the HK AVR 354 that is in the mail btw...

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMHO, assuming you have fairly sensitive rear surrounds that are capable of handling descent wattage (I'm talking satellites here), what matters in the end is that you have the correct cross-over settings in your receiver that are matched to where your satellite's lower frequencies drop off, and that the resulting sound pressures in the rears matches the fronts.

For example, my crossover settings for my fronts (Axiom M22 bookshelves) and rears (Axiom QS8 quadpolars) are both set to 80Hz, which is approximately where their lower frequencies drop off appreciably. Assuming you have a receiver that can independently assign crossover frequencies, you might be able to set your rears (that is, if you have satellites) to, say, 80 Hz, and your fronts (if you have towers or full ranging) to 40 Hz.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
when you decide on your TV location, definately go ahead with a 3.1 system. Don't let the issue with where to place 2 surrounds delay the benefits of a much better audio system than the crummy speakers in the TV.

When it's bookshelf on stands vs. floorstanders - I would seriously look at towers. There is a very nice sale on Polk Monitor 70's at Newegg ($20 off each speaker with coupon "SPEAKER82X2" maybe today only ??) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...AFC-C8Junction and add a Polk CS2 for the center channel for the front 3

or go with the Jamo deal and just set the surround towers in the corner until you need to move them out for "movie night" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...AFC-C8Junction (note: the towers are not huge, roughly 35x8x8 or so)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gtn wanjeyin! that makes it easier. I will keep that in mind.

Vanmeter - What sub would you recommend with those Polk towers? Or should I wait and see if I think I still need a sub after I hear them?

I can't find the Jamo deal - I am on my phone.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar /forum/post/17040037

Gtn wanjeyin! that makes it easier. I will keep that in mind.

Vanmeter - What sub would you recommend with those Polk towers? Or should I wait and see if I think I still need a sub after I hear them?

I can't find the Jamo deal - I am on my phone.

No prob. I'm happy to help.

Lastly, it would help if you had a sound pressure level metre that you can use to calibrate your system. This seems to do it for most people:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103668

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those Polks look nice but if I still need a center and then a sub - that begins to go beyond what I want to spend on all this.

Is $360 the entry level when talking towers?

Thanks for the link to the Jamos, but I can't see the page anyway - it is a full flash page and my blackberry doesn't support flash... :/

And I am stuck at work, politely waiting on someone, but not accomplishing anything - except anticipating a nice new setup! So that's good!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
once you find something you like, there is always the "build out" possibility. Get what the budget can afford now, then save for the next item. 2.0 to 3.0 to 3.1 to 5.1

Takes a little longer, but you will end up with a really nice setup in the end.

"entry level when talking towers" - no, the M70's are 2 steps up the Polk ladder, Newegg also has the M50 and M60 towers (sometimes out of stock) starting at less than $100 each. The M50's will definately need a subwoofer to perform at their best.

Also currently on sale are Infinity P362 towers (google search) and Mirage Omni 550 http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ge-omni-550-ch matter of fact, their bundle price for the 5.0 system is pretty sweet (lower right side of web page).

·
Registered
45 Posts
The "building out" method is what I did. Back in 2004 I started out with Axiom M3s for fronts. I then sold those and got the M22s in 2006 (FL/FR), the VP100 (centre) in 2007, the QS8s in 2008 (SL/SR), and finally the M2s in 2009 (BL/BR).

I couldn't be happier with the result.

Andrew

www.axiomaudio.com

·
Registered
872 Posts
Take your time and don't act too soon. All these goods deals aren't going away anytime soon.

Energys and TSC are worth looking at also.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just went to a big box store to listen to speakers. The the full and bright Klipsch sound is awesome but I don't think I am going to spend that much.

I wish I could demo all these speakers side by side...

Can anyone offer a comparison on these speakers?
Infiniti P 362
Polk Monitor 60 or 70
Energy C-500
Energy RC-30 "Recommended Amplifier Power: up to 225 watts RMS" - Is this out of my power range at 75 watts on my Harman AVR 354?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar /forum/post/17047009

After posting this I found a thread that answers my question.

I like the Polk Monitor 70s and the Energy RC-30s the most.

Remaining question: Can my AVR 354 put out enough power for the Energy RC-30s (Recommended Power - up to 200 watts RMS) or the Polk M70s (power range = 20-275)?

yup. git r done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.