AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up my theater room and I have an very asymmetrical room. The room dimensions are 25' l x 10' w and with such a long room the surround speaker set up is a challege. If I place the speakers in the center of the room the only listeners that get the full affect of the speakers would be those who sit in the center of the room. A friend of mine suggest that I use 4 surround speaker. 2ea. on the left and right, both sides of the speaker wiring has the speakers wired up in series. Do I get dipole and run Audysessy and hope that it give a goo calibration? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Could you do a 6.1 / 7.1 setup perhaps? I had a 14' x 30' room, and my 5.1 setup was struggling because the length of the room. When i moved to a 7.1 setup, the 4 speakers were able to do a much better job of filling in the sides and rear than the 2 speakers in the 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
You could also use the dipole speakers for the center seats and still have the rear surrounds for a 7.1 surround system.

My room will be approximately 20 x 13 and I'm planning on 7.1 with dipole as my side surrounds and then normal bookshelves for the rear. Should work out well.

Best of luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Long rooms definetly benefit from using 4 side surrounds. This is what pay theaters do. Well they have more than 4 but they are really long.

Put a pair midway, then a pair at the rear.

PS: Wide rooms benefit from multiple rear surrounds in the same manner as well.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you do multiple surrounds on the sides, don't you need some sort of special processor to manage the timing differences between the "front" pair and the "rear" pair of side surrounds?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
In a symatrical theater, it does seem you would make the distance the same to the targeted postion. But, theaters have been running this way for a long time. Maybe some of them use additional processing, but I don't think most do. I was more up on this stuff in the 90's when I did audio and sound work. My Denon 4802 had binding posts for them even, no additional processing though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18272778

In a symatrical theater, it does seem you would make the distance the same to the targeted postion. But, theaters have been running this way for a long time. Maybe some of them use additional processing, but I don't think most do. I was more up on this stuff in the 90's when I did audio and sound work. My Denon 4802 had binding posts for them even, no additional processing though.

I am just worried about when I run the surround set test the sound will hit the wrong areas.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
In my room, I'm going to wire for 7 speakers, two sides (dipoles) and two rears (bipoles). I'll use a 7 channel receiver to either produce 7 independent channels or produce the back two channels based off the side channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts