AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas/pictures of some neat surround speaker shelves? Either store bought or DIY?

I do not want to use speaker brackets as those speakers will be one of my future upgrades and I don't want to change the brackets.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...833&fullpage=1

You can see my surround shelves in the background. Not the best pic for getting a view of them, but it gives you the idea. They need to be painted yet in this picture - and they STILL need to be painted yet in real life too. :)

Here's how I made them. I literally made mockups of my surround speakers before I bought them (literally - 1/2" x 1/2" pieces that I cut) and clamped them to my ceiling frame work to get the approximately angling and placement within the corner that I was shooting for. I then came up with the measurements for the triangular shelves from that placement.

I ripped 2x4's in half and used them as the frame work for the triangle and then put a brace in the middle running front to back - just to be safe. I used carriage bolts to secure the shelves to the wall studs, then skinned both the shelves with 1/2" plywood. (nailed and glued) I don't know if I gained anything from this, but I also insulated inside the shelves. Just to be safe, I also glued a small piece of 1/2 round molding across the front, top edge. This also allowed me to give the speakers a downward angle without fear of them sliding off the shelf. Oh - and I also caulked around the egdges for a nice smooth transition to the wall.

I feel sorry for whoever may want to pull these things down some day - they're pretty secure, and since the plywood is nailed and glued there's no easy access to the carriage bolts securing them to the wall.

I guess the fact that they're custom-sized to my surround speakers also keeps me locked into keeping my Mini-Monitors as surrounds unless I find something else someday that happens to fit on these shelves, but I like them so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Here's another shot with lighting:

These are sold thru a company in the UK, so I don't know if they are available locally to you. But maybe you could use a similar idea if you like them.

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.