AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me apologize if this has been discussed before but I could not find anything on a search. I got a good deal on some Monster THX speakers and I trying to decide what to get for the rears. I don't know if I should go with regular speakers or the dipoles. Does anyone have any advice/links to help me out on the choices and pros/cons of both types of speakers with regards to the lossless audio formats? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have both so I am qualified to tell you want I think. First of all my speakers are all ear level. I don't listen to six channel music however I think that detail is just as important to hear in the surround channels as it is in the front channels. I tried my setup with my dipoles setup in typical formation where they are on the sides and with the null facing your ears. I also tried this with my direct speakers on the side with the speaker pointing directly at my ears. Any speaker that has good sound dispersion with do a great job as surrounds. I did not like the dipoles in their typical configuration because the sound didn't seem to actually surround me. I could hear them but I heard a lot more room ambiance on which made them easy to locate. With the direct speakers I got some room ambiance and more direct sound. A lot of people will tell you that direct speakers are bad for movies because you can locate them easily. That's true if you have the following conditions: Your surround speakers are near the seating position like 5 feet or less or your speakers are like 10 feet away but the distance adjustment on your receiver is set incorrectly. If all your speakers are timbre matched and distances are set correctly then the transition will be seamless. Near field direct speakers don't work because there is zero room ambiance before the sound hits your ears making it sound artificial; like it's not in the room with you. So where are my dipoles? Since my best listening position is against the back wall, my surrounds are 10 feet away on the side and my dipoles are near me at about 4 1/2 feet from my ears with the null facing the front of the room and one speaker facing just behind my head and the other facing the side wall........bipolar configuration. I found that dipoles are great to use if the speakers must be close to your ears since they create a lot of ambient sound that distract your ears from being able to easily locate them. It all depends on the size and configuration of your room. There is no wrong way. Dipole speakers probably work better when you have a lot of space to fill with sound. Notice that theaters have many surround speakers. The room is too large to have just one speaker. Dipoles are the next best thing to multiple speakers if you must fill a large room. Experiment and stick with what sounds the best.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used both dipole and mono-pole speakers. In my old Denon set-up I had a/b surround speakers options so I had dipole on the a" and mono on the b". I've gone to a Marantz 8002 which has a/b only on the front two channels so I only use the dipole. My room is only 12x18 and they work fine for movies and not so good for multi channel music, till I upgraded my subwoofer to a James EMB 1200. I don't understand why upgrading to a musical sub-woofer would make the set up sound so much better but it has. If I had to make a choice, personally I would choose dipole because I watch TV and movies 90% of the time (I listen to radio in the morning). I still have a two channel hifi for critical music listening. My experience and two cents.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
it seems like the new formats are getting more directional with the sound like dvd-a

does with music but that is just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts