AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's quite impossible for me to have surround speakers at the side or rear in our current setup. However, in the manual for my Yamaha amp, it says you can have surrounds at the front (!):

Has anyone done this? Can anyone confirm whether or not this would provide any benefit?

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's quite impossible for me to have surround speakers at the side or rear in our current setup. However, in the manual for my Yamaha amp, it says you can have surrounds at the front (!):

Has anyone done this? Can anyone confirm whether or not this would provide any benefit?
Ask yourself this - "How can it be surround when it's all in front of me?" Not trying to diss your set up but proper surround really needs to be placed around the mlp - not just in front.

Reactions: badass_09

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask yourself this - "How can it be surround when it's all in front of me?" Not trying to diss your set up but proper surround really needs to be placed around the mlp - not just in front.
Yeah, logic definitely tells me that, but I wonder why on earth Yamaha would even put that in the manual and as an option in the system?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, logic definitely tells me that, but I wonder why on earth Yamaha would even put that in the manual and as an option in the system?
I think it depends upon how far out you can place the sides in comparison to your MLP. The picture doesn't do any justice but if you can pull your sides to about midway in the room their will be some benefit.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I once had my computer 5.1 setup like that while waiting for some stands for the surround speakers to arrive. It was rubbish, don't bother.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Reactions: sigpig and RayGuy

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
of course it is possible, however, you wouldn't get "surround sound" if all the speaker are in front of you. There is nothing better than when something happens behind you that sounds so real you turn your head and look at your surround speaker.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Sorry to reply to an old post but this company Crutchfield made an interesting article about having all 5 speakers at the front using the Virtual Cinema Front mode of Yamaha AV receivers.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-tmGTjDrQ585/learn/yamaha-virtual-cinema-front.html

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sorry to reply to an old post but this company Crutchfield made an interesting article about having all 5 speakers at the front using the Virtual Cinema Front mode of Yamaha AV receivers.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-tmGTjDrQ585/learn/yamaha-virtual-cinema-front.html
... and they have no interest in selling an additional two speakers?

That said, there are always ways to get surround speakers into the mix, if you are a bit creative. Wires can be hidden behind baseboards, or enclosed in a wire track or you can use a wireless design. Surrounds can go behind you, to the side, high up on the wall, or IN the wall, in the ceiling, on the floor behind the couch facing upwards ... to name just a few of the options.

Putting surround speakers in front only destroys the front sound field. Don't do it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yamaha has had "front Height" speakers for some time. I remember it being an option in my RX-V2092/95 receivers. As already said, surround speakers are not always in the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
... and they have no interest in selling an additional two speakers?

That said, there are always ways to get surround speakers into the mix, if you are a bit creative. Wires can be hidden behind baseboards, or enclosed in a wire track or you can use a wireless design. Surrounds can go behind you, to the side, high up on the wall, or IN the wall, in the ceiling, on the floor behind the couch facing upwards ... to name just a few of the options.

Putting surround speakers in front only destroys the front sound field. Don't do it.
True, true surround is the way. I have different mode, the Yamaha "Cinema DSP 3D" mode that I use in my 3.1 setup but it sounds horrible. I just use my setup in regular stereo mode as that sounds better.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Old topic, but still relevant to some. There are a couple of things to consider regarding surround speakers and their placement.

First, consider that sound generated from all speakers is both direct and reflected (particularly off hard surfaces like walls).

Second, consider that when watching something on a screen in front of you it doesn't necessarily make any sense for sound coming from beside or behind you.

So, consider that some people might prefer "immersive" sound rather than surround sound. Creating a "sound wall" around your screen may make more sense, especially if you consider my first point: reflected sound.
In a traditional 5.0 setup you'll have the center below or above the screen, front speakers on either side of the screen, toe in, and surround speakers on the outside of the front speakers, toe out. Depending on the room and calibration, toe out will ensure that the surround signal becomes a reflected signal creating a more "ethereal" soundscape that some might consider more suited to the screen experience.

I personally prefer this solution as it creates an "immersive" surround sound experience connected to the screen I'm watching, rather than immersion breaking surround sounds occuring beside or behind me.

When all is said and done, it's your surround setup. Any way you prefer to set it up is up to you. Any and all experiences are subjective after all. :)

For your consideration. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem as above so I put two Dolby Atmos on top of the SL and SR as presence speakers in the Virtual Cinema Front setup. I was wondering if I should switch the current FL/FR with with Dolby Atmos and have them as the FL and FR? Would this make sense or would it be a waste of time. I was hoping the better quality of the Atmos would be an improvement.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

So the answer is in manual for tha

So the answer for that question is in manual. Placing surround speakers at front you will get virtual sarraund. It is a bit better then just stereo but not good like when you have rear speakers behind you. When you use yapo (i think that's name) it will set up speakers for you. Sometimes you will have to setup Subwoofer Phase manually

1 - 14 of 14 Posts