AVS Forum banner

There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco

• Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole)

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speake

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design)

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woof

Votes: 55 22.0%
  • Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole)

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable)

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! )

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters
1061 - 1080 of 1089 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Klipsch RP-502S
There is a wall behind the sofa. At what height is it best to hang?
Everything is complicated by the fact that the rear wall on the left and on the right has "corner" restrictions.
on the left is a cabinet 34 cm deep and 197 cm high, on the right is a corner wall 64 cm with a continuation to the window, that is, I can’t hang up close - the sound will be reflected
i.e. a minimum of 35-40 cm should be retreated.

Viewing / Listening Distance 2.7 m
Yes, I understand that everything is individual and depends on the room.

Front - Klipsch RP-280F
Center - Klipsch RP-440C

p.s. I assume that I need to put it on the cabinet, and the second in level with her

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2 side surrounds are Polk S10 for the small room. They hang from the basement ceiling, a little behind my ears[not directly at my brain], angled down towards my ears, w the tweeters 22" above my ears.

My 5.1 surround system is auto calibrated via AVR. It took some experimentation for best location for both surrounds. I found mounting them a bit behind my ears, was best for me, in my mounting. 14ga, 2 conductor speaker wire is strung above the basement drop ceiling and down to the speakers, attached by decorative chain link. The surround speaker chain links are attached from the 2 X 10 floor joist.

Room size is 8 X 10 w 55" screen with listening area 7 feet from 4K screen. Front L/R speaker tweeters are at ear level, angled towards listening seating, with center speaker just above ear level, angled down towards seating.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looking for some basic surround speakers. I Think direct firing would be best for my needs. I have a Pioneer Elite receiving, a Klipsch RC-25 and two RB-25's for left and right channels. THe room is a large bedroom. The center will be about 10' in front of me and the left and right channels will be about 11' apart and approximately 11' from the main seating position. I am looking for two 'smaller' (the Klipsch 25's are already pretty big for the room) surround speakers for a 5.1 set up (may go 7.1 in the future). I can stand mount the surround speakers or if possible, I could mount them to the wall behind the seating area (about 2' from seating area to back wall) and to the left and right of seating area (in line with the front left and right channels). Any suggestions for direct firing and 'articulating' wall mounts for the surrounds that would allow me to angle them in towards seating position? Thanks!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've read through a good percentage of the 36 pages, and I think I have a unique situation. I have a new Marantz SR 5013 winging its way, (slowly), to me. I have, and want to continue using one Rear Surround. It is a Cambridge S305, and can be either Bipole or Dipole, but there is just one pair of wires that will go to the receiver. I'm wondering about doubling the + & - wires and inserting them in both the L & R rear surround channels, or if merely inserting in either L or R might work and the rcvr. will figure it out. Incidentally, does anyone know if the L & R rear channels are truly discrite?
Thanx,
Richard

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've read through a good percentage of the 36 pages, and I think I have a unique situation. I have a new Marantz SR 5013 winging its way, (slowly), to me. I have, and want to continue using one Rear Surround. It is a Cambridge S305, and can be either Bipole or Dipole, but there is just one pair of wires that will go to the receiver. I'm wondering about doubling the + & - wires and inserting them in both the L & R rear surround channels, or if merely inserting in either L or R might work and the rcvr. will figure it out. Incidentally, does anyone know if the L & R rear channels are truly discrite?
Thanx,
Richard

I think you'll have to connect it 'normally' using one speaker cable for either Rear Left or Rear Right. Both channels are discrete. You can't add a second one?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you, exm; I appreciate your opinion, but due to WAF, (and mine), we don't want a multi-use room to look like a used speaker sales shop. I just got notification that the new receiver should be here later today. Hopefully, there may be some way to contact Marantz/Denon tech support to see if there is an alternate way to just receiving L or R surround.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, it turns out that my original question is moot. During set-up it asked if I had one or two Rear Surrounds, & it was perfectly happy with setting up one. However - - - there are two sub. pre amp out puts, and I plugged my two subs in, but it only recognized one. I still have my old Y connector, so I reused that, but after I have gone through some more thorough understanding & set-up I can try to figure out that one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been through the thread, but I'm still not 100% sure about the right choice. I'm upgrading to 4.0 setup in a small bedroom. Front LR is finalized; JBL Stage A120. Now for the surround speakers, which will go directly 2 feet above the listeners' ears on the back behind the bed, what would be preferable;

Using the same speaker set for optimum timber match; JBL Stage A120

Bipole speakers; Wharfedale WH-DFS

Down-firing speakers; Dali Alteco C1

Side wall placement not possible. However, there will be a small segment of wall right next to speakers on both sides, which should bounce and diffuse sound. Both the JBL and Dali seem to have good horizontal directivity.

Now from what I have understood, placing the speakers above the speakers in such a situation is done to reduce directivity of sound, right? So would placing Dali Alteco C1 firing down to listeners be counter productive? If yes, and they are ruled out, what would be better between the other options; different brand's bipole or matching monopole?

Speaker choices will remain these only, as I'm from India, with limited choice.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Been through the thread, but I'm still not 100% sure about the right choice. I'm upgrading to 4.0 setup in a small bedroom. Front LR is finalized; JBL Stage A120. Now for the surround speakers, which will go directly 2 feet above the listeners' ears on the back behind the bed, what would be preferable;

Using the same speaker set for optimum timber match; JBL Stage A120

Bipole speakers; Wharfedale WH-DFS

Down-firing speakers; Dali Alteco C1

Side wall placement not possible. However, there will be a small segment of wall right next to speakers on both sides, which should bounce and diffuse sound. Both the JBL and Dali seem to have good horizontal directivity.

Now from what I have understood, placing the speakers above the speakers in such a situation is done to reduce directivity of sound, right? So would placing Dali Alteco C1 firing down to listeners be counter productive? If yes, and they are ruled out, what would be better between the other options; different brand's bipole or matching monopole?

Speaker choices will remain these only, as I'm from India, with limited choice.

Since it's a bedroom system and doesn't have to be really "pretty," I would just get another pair of A120's for the rear surrounds for timbre matching. Nothing is going to be perfect with a setup like this compared to a living room or dedicated home theater, but at least the sound will stay consistent.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since it's a bedroom system and doesn't have to be really "pretty," I would just get another pair of A120's for the rear surrounds for timbre matching. Nothing is going to be perfect with a setup like this compared to a living room or dedicated home theater, but at least the sound will stay consistent.
Ah! Thanks for the response. So if I go for the JBL only, should I tilt them down or would that defeat the purpose mounting them above the listener?

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Ah! Thanks for the response. So if I go for the JBL only, should I tilt them down or would that defeat the purpose mounting them above the listener?

You can tilt them down a bit if it ends up sounding better. I would experiment. You could also get the matching Stage center speaker and shelf mount it below your TV depending on your layout.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
With the back of the sofa only 10 inches from the back wall, the Classic Twos are too directional as rear speakers (see pic). I would like to replace them with bipoles or tripoles. This 5.1 system is used for video-gaming (ie, Animal Crossing on Switch) and netflix/plex streaming. No music listening.

NHT doesn't make any bipole or tripole speakers. What brands or exact models would be work best in this setup and placement? M&K? Polk? Paradigm ADP? Mirage? Def Tech? Other?

I don't mind buying used.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
With the back of the sofa only 10 inches from the back wall, the Classic Twos are too directional as rear speakers (see pic). I would like to replace them with bipoles or tripoles. This 5.1 system is used for video-gaming (ie, Animal Crossing on Switch) and netflix/plex streaming. No music listening.

NHT doesn't make any bipole or tripole speakers. What brands or exact models would be work best in this setup and placement? M&K? Polk? Paradigm ADP? Mirage? Def Tech? Other?

I don't mind buying used.

Ricky, before you buy another pair of speakers I have a suggestion you may or may not like, but testing is easy.

I have a similar set up in my living room and someone suggested I place my surrounds on the floor facing up for a more diffuse sound. I like it, it's more diffuse, not firing right in my ear. My rears have rear ports so I made some 1 foot stands to give some port room. I think your speakers don't have rear ports?

Your left rear may get more reflection off the side wall than the right rear, but it would be a cheap test. You'll likely need to raise the rear levels.Worst case scenario is you don't like it, but no money lost if so.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ricky, before you buy another pair of speakers I have a suggestion you may or may not like, but testing is easy.

I have a similar set up in my living room and someone suggested I place my surrounds on the floor facing up for a more diffuse sound. I like it, it's more diffuse, not firing right in my ear. My rears have rear ports so I made some 1 foot stands to give some port room. I think your speakers don't have rear ports?

Your left rear may get more reflection off the side wall than the right rear, but it would be a cheap test. You'll likely need to raise the rear levels.Worst case scenario is you don't like it, but no money lost if so.
Great idea! Many years ago, when Circle Surround added a matrix rear center for 6.1, I had NHT 2.9 tower rears and did the same. I placed a single NHT bookshelf on the floor, upward firing behind the couch. It worked well for 6.1.

My NHTs are too big to fit comfortably on the floor without risking damage. I have 4 Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro speakers in the closet. They are 4" spheres. I just tried them as upward firing rears (placed at the sides of sofa) and they sound nice and diffused. I will next try the other 2 as upward firing rear centers (behind the sofa)...why not, I have them, extra speaker wire and 2 open channels on my Denon 5200W receiver.

https://galloacoustics.com/micro/

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
Hard to believe I started this thread 13 YEARS AGO !!!

I'll be moving from 7.1 to Atmos 7.2.4 soon, and am keen to hear from anyone who's using bipoles or quadpoles for their height channels...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now see that there is a separate thread for my problem:

I am planning to buy 2 concept 300's with a concept center speaker. But I am still doubting about the rears.
First i thought of the kef t101's but after making a mock up with my sonos one's on stands I find them too big.
The couch is in the middle ca 50cm from the wall and behind it is a large acoustic jungle wall. The kef's are too high.
So my options are now:
Kef T101
B&W M-1
CA Minx Min22
QA 7000Lri
QA 3010i

I am now leaning towards the min 22 as they are nice and small but the B&W should have better sound characteristics.
The thing I hate about them are that the stands are absurdly priced, they cost almost as much as the speakers.

I am searching for a solution that has the same size as my sonos one's. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts

I'll be moving from 7.1 to Atmos 7.2.4 soon, and am keen to hear from anyone who's using bipoles or quadpoles for their height channels...?
i'm in the same boat. Looking at Difinitive tech for the rear four, and monoprice alpha for atmos.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts

I used bipoles, well Paradigms spin on the ADP-390’s for 7.1 side and rear surrounds 2008-2018. I tried to use them when I went to 7.2.6 but their off axis differences were too much.
I settled on monopoles

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk

1061 - 1080 of 1089 Posts