AVS Forum banner

There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco

• Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole)

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speake

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design)

Votes: 52 20.5%
  • Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woof

Votes: 57 22.4%
  • Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole)

Votes: 28 11.0%
  • Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable)

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! )

Votes: 22 8.7%
1081 - 1090 of 1090 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Thanks... interesting. What channels were you using the Paradigms for before you ditched them?
And what did you replace them with?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do have a pair of Energy RVSS (Dipole).

I wonder if I could turn off one side in order to fire the sound as a monopole.

Does someone know?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Has anyone ever used the Polk LSIM 202 surrounds? Expensive now but they go on sale every so often. They have an odd speaker placement and are actually monopole but don't look it. Wonder if anyone has any feedback on using these on stands rather than wall mount?

·
Registered
138 Posts
For my 12X10 open basement area w full size 30 X 40 basement, my suspended Polk S-20's with their tweeters 20" above ear level, are just great, as surrounds.. Other specs in my below signature.

I sit 8' from the 55" 4K UHD HDR screen. The F/L speakers are 6' apart as the surrounds are too.

F/L speaker tweeters are at ear height, and angled at my head, w the center at head level. The Polk S-20 SURROUNDS are angled down at my head, and a bit behind the ears.

DD sound from the S-20's are perfect......for me, in my small size room. I vote for Polk! :D

Reactions: mattg3

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I do have a pair of Energy RVSS (Dipole).

I wonder if I could turn off one side in order to fire the sound as a monopole.

Does someone know?

Thank you.

If there’s no switch, then swap the polarity on one side of the tweeter and woofer .... dipole becomes bipole

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Thanks... interesting. What channels were you using the Paradigms for before you ditched them?
And what did you replace them with?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tried as Rear heights , I also recognized their limitations as side and rear surrounds in discrete mixes.
They are ... old school ... work for 5.1 and 7.1 in un-treated room ... if your 9.x.4 with acoustic treatments monopole is way to go.
I went DIY route, HTM-8’s.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,087
Noted! Thanks.

Though I still can't help but feel that in some cases - like in our 3.4m-wide room - having bipoles for the side-surrounds only will help to reduce localisation and distraction for those sitting too close to the side walls. Hmmm...

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sold something once to a fellow member on this forum and they suggested something like an Ohm speaker. As a stopgap, they recommended putting my direction surrounds on their backs pointed up - haven't looked back since. I run RTi4's so with their wall mount they conveniently sit flat and stable on as table when placed on their back. Since they are placed pretty close to a wall, and are placed at either end of a sofa, the sound is still well localized, but more diffused. It was a very handy tip! Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
If there’s no switch, then swap the polarity on one side of the tweeter and woofer .... dipole becomes bipole

I'll do it.
What do you think, would it be possible to leave one side off to be more like a monopole one?
Thanks for helping me.

1081 - 1090 of 1090 Posts