AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I'm debating. I kinda know what the obvious pros and cons of these two set-ups are. Just want to get some other opinions on this. The only two options we have are bookshelf on stands and in-ceiling speakers. Now the in-ceilings would be 6' and 7 1/2' from ear-to-speaker. The bookshelves would be on stands next to the couch. We have it down to this two speakers if this matters. The bookshelves would be M/A's Silver 2's and the in-ceilings would be Sonance's 831's.

Her debate is the look of the speakers right there on stands and having to remove them when kids come over to the sound quality between the two. Now there is price also. The Silver 2's can be had for $640/pr and the 831's for $750/pr. Listening to speakers in the store is different than at your own home. So would the bookshelves sound that much better for it to be worth the hassle?

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Would I be correct to assume that the fronts and center are Monitor Audio? If so, my vote would be the Silver 2's. People tend to use in-ceiling speakers because the room layout makes it difficult to have speakers on a stand, or because of the spouse approval factor. How often do kids come over and how old are they? Are they that mischievious that they just can't be told not to touch?

I think the MA's sound and look great, but I am biased as I own them myself!

·
Registered
784 Posts
htrob,

My strategy would be to drive relentlessly hard for the MA Silver's, understanding the WAF is very low. Be just like a dog on a bone.

Then, at the last minute, concede to the in-ceiling speakers...... but not before extracting significant additional system upgrade clearance. Think big. :p

If the couch is going to be your primary listening spot, it may actually be more engaging to have the rears in the ceiling, farther away and more difficult to localize. Most of the rear channel info, even in movies with aggressive soundtracks, is ambient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.