AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My existing set up as Energy RC-10 as mains and RC-LCR as center. I also want to add the side surround speakers. Can someone suggest me on the below points?

1. a pair of best surround speakers for my existing set up. I watch 80 - 90% of movies and so I am looking for some real good surround sound like a movie theater :)

2. I also own 4 energy rc-micro satellite speakers and 1 center. Can I use them any where in my current set up? for example, as a surround back or front heights etc.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Look at getting a pair of the Boston E60 - however be careful - because they sound

real good - and for me too good to be used just as surrounds. They can take a lot

of power and are good with dynamics.
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-E60-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B001H9O1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386308147&sr=8-1&keywords=boston+e60

A better picture of the E60
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=19933&picture_id=309993

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=19933&picture_id=309923

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The proper surround speakers are then Energy RC-R, but they are impossible to find new and difficult to find used. Probably the next closest would be the VS-surround from the Veritas line. Same story although slightly more easy to find on the used market perhaps. The four RC-mini speakers that you have should do an adequate job - doesn't hurt to try them at least. You may also consider moving the RC-10s to be your surrounds and then look for a pair of RC-70s or even another pair of RC-10s

·
Registered
28,911 Posts
Get another pair of RC-10s if you have space for them. RC Micro are fine for now.

What receiver do you have?

·
Banned
2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24038702

The proper surround speakers are then Energy RC-R, but they are impossible to find new and difficult to find used. Probably the next closest would be the VS-surround from the Veritas line. Same story although slightly more easy to find on the used market perhaps. The four RC-mini speakers that you have should do an adequate job - doesn't hurt to try them at least. You may also consider moving the RC-10s to be your surrounds and then look for a pair of RC-70s or even another pair of RC-10s
Are those surround need to be place on the side wall or they will be fine if they put on the stands?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24044498

Are those surround need to be place on the side wall or they will be fine if they put on the stands?
Either. Wall is probably best, but I have my surrounds on stands.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24038654

Look at getting a pair of the Boston E60 - however be careful - because they sound

real good - and for me too good to be used just as surrounds. They can take a lot

of power and are good with dynamics...

Assuming you can't find another (used?) pair of RC-10's, then +1 the E60. Another, lower priced option would be Cambridge Audio S30's ( http://www.accessories4less.com/ ).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24045214

Assuming you can't find another (used?) pair of RC-10's, then +1 the E60. Another, lower priced option would be Cambridge Audio S30's ( http://www.accessories4less.com/ ).
Will Cambridge Audio S30 as surrounds match the front RC-10s and RC-LCR set up? I saw S30s are more forward sounding speakers as compared to RC-10s in other threads out here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24039516

Get another pair of RC-10s if you have space for them. RC Micro are fine for now.

I basically have my rc-micros in my home country. I am trying to expand my HT setup to bookshelf and so far settled with the fronts (RC-10) and center (RC-LCR). RC Micro may be okay for surrounds but only thing that bothers me is their low frequency (150 hz). However, I have not tested that set up yet.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Achilles2205 surrounds from the same brand are not extremely critical .you can use any speakers as surround ,the surround should be way off axis ,away from your ears, if you place the surrounds pointing directly at your ears it will distract you from the movie and it will totally destroy the front soundstage.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles2205  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24051050

Will Cambridge Audio S30 as surrounds match the front RC-10s and RC-LCR set up? I saw S30s are more forward sounding speakers as compared to RC-10s in other threads out here.

To my ears "out of the box" the S30 is a little more neutral while the RC-10 is a little warmer (I've owned both). But if your AVR has room/EQ correction software (such as Audyssey) they should work fine together.

(Mind you I think another set or RC-10's or the Boston E60 would be better, but the S30 is a good, solid budget speaker for surrounds. Surrounds typically don't carry a lot of sound/volume, but IME it's nice to have a speaker with good mid-range and respectable low's, instead of satellite speakers, as surrounds.)

Reactions: Achilles2205

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles2205  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24051050

If budget is tight, then the Cambridge S30 is a nice option - it is possible that you may not want

to play with the E60 speakers - they have lots of resolution, with good detail, definition and depth,

and in reality would be under-used as surrounds. >> However, the Boston E60 are solid neutral

speakers, that throw a wide and deep soundstage with good bass, that is not artificial or mushy

boom sounding.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I used to have a RC LCR + RC10 set up and opted with the Cambridge S30s for surround duty and found that it worked pretty well for my taste!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24039516

Afrogt, Do you know how the RC-LCRs sound as mains instead of rc-10s? I mean 3 LCRs as front speakers so that I can use my RC-10s for surrounds. If three LCR front set up is a best set up for HT, I will invest in buying another pair of LCRs. If it is not that significant, I will use my RC-10s for fronts, LCR for center and buy another pair of RC-10s for surrounds. Appreciate you in advance!

·
Registered
28,911 Posts
I only have one RC LCR so can't say I've tried 3 across the front but should sound great. There have been posts in the Energy owners thread in the past stating that it works very well.

Finding two LCRs might be pretty difficult.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

RC-LCR has two woofers, two midrange and 1 tweeter. If the LCR is used for mains, will the mid ranges be utilized there (I mean in movies)? I read the mid range is mostly useful for center channel (dialogues etc.). For music, 2.1 stereo set up the mid ranges should be used by the mains. If we are only considering the movies, the mid range wont be used in the LCRs as mains. Am I correct?

I was thinking about RC-10 versus RC-LCR. Will two 5 1/2 inch woofers in LCR (as mains) sound better than a single 5 1/2 inch woofer in RC-10? My exact question is, will the two woofers in LCR be utilized by the AV receiver when it passes on the low frequency sounds to the woofers?

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles2205  /t/1503938/surround-speakers-for-energy-rc-10-and-lcr#post_24118539

RC-LCR has two woofers, two midrange and 1 tweeter. If the LCR is used for mains, will the mid ranges be utilized there (I mean in movies)? I read the mid range is mostly useful for center channel (dialogues etc.). For music, 2.1 stereo set up the mid ranges should be used by the mains. If we are only considering the movies, the mid range wont be used in the LCRs as mains. Am I correct?

I was thinking about RC-10 versus RC-LCR. Will two 5 1/2 inch woofers in LCR (as mains) sound better than a single 5 1/2 inch woofer in RC-10? My exact question is, will the two woofers in LCR be utilized by the AV receiver when it passes on the low frequency sounds to the woofers?

That's not the only difference between those 2 speakers. Many users have found everything to be a step up when they switched from Rc10's to the RC-LCR's. This includes better lows, mids, and the highs had a larger sound stage and just sounded more detailed. If you heard 3 LCR's, you wouldn't want to go back to your RC10's. If you can successfully find 2 more, then I would highly recommend it. 3 LCR's in the front with two rc10's in a 5.1 setup would be a nice step up from what you have.

Now I do own the Boston E60's that zieglj01 recommended, and I've actually used those in the front with the RC-LCR. Now they didn't match perfectly, they were just slightly different. I'm sure you couldn't tell if they were surrounds. If you heard them you'd probably throw them in as your L and R's though

1 - 20 of 44 Posts