AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been banging my head going for one place to another. the room is 16 x 24. I have martin logans in the front.

Do I go In wall (Polk Audio RC85i) or mounted or large dipole (Klipsch Reference RS-41) on the wall.

In my small room I had Elan's inwall with same set up with kuro tv.

Or do the surrounds really mater? Thanks I could use your help.

·
Registered
10,708 Posts
If it were me, I would go on-wall. Typically, they sound better than in-walls, and they give you more flexibility with positioning. Take a look at Def Tech Mythos and Mythos II. There are a number of options and price points to choose from.

A friend of mine has the Mythos Gem speakers as his surrounds. They are amazing little speakers and highly recommended.

You might also look at what Golden Ear has to offer. The tweeters they use may be a better match for your fronts, however, their dispersion characteristics (horizontally fine, vertically, less so) could be problematic, depending on the positioning options of the seating and speakers. A speaker bracket with some vertical play could easily solve the problem. I would seriously consider these, in any case. Supersat 3 is their entry point.

Lastly, be sure to experiment with the positioning of the seating and the subwoofer first, to get the best bass response at your seat. Once you have done that, then experiment with surround positioning. Small differences in speaker position can have major effects on the quality of the sound at your seat!

And, if you haven't seen it yet, you might want to get some opinions here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499602/7-2-mates-for-motion-40-mains

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have had many surround speakers (energy, axiom, AV123 dipoles, polk, Sonus Faber (current) and I'm probably leaving some out.

Of them all the Axiom QS8 surrounds were by far the best. I don't really care for Axiom speakers, but they do surrounds right.

I have also had Axiom QS4's....but for you sized listening area I recommend the QS8's.
http://axiomaudio.com/qs8-surround-sound-speakers

My 2 cents

vardo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts