AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my front left and right speakers in my home theater setup with a pair of Klipsch VF-35s for about half off on Black Friday (they're pretty good for the value). But now that I've upgraded those, I need to upgrade the rest of my system. I've got some crappy speakers I bought as a 5.1 package, but I do have a very nice receiver powering everything (Onkyo TX-SR606).

Anyway, due to the layout of my apartment and the room, I can't really run surround speakers from the receiver without putting the cable directly on the floor. I'm tired of tripping over it all the time and there's really no other way to conceal it unless I want to go over an entire door frame, which just seems like an ever worse idea.

I'm wondering if it's possible to run two surround speakers wirelessly. I don't know much about wireless speaker setups that are available, but I'm hoping there's a solution to this that isn't too crazy or complex to put together.

Looking for some suggestions. And if wireless is a no go, what are the best surround speakers I should be looking at anyway? I don't really have a price range except to stay under $1000, just as long as it's high quality, works great and hopefully supports an easy wireless setup. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not the most desirable approach but possible. There are a few threads on this forum on the subject, so a search for them might be helpful to you. I recently got the Rocketfish Universal Wireless Speaker Kit from Best Buy.

Works fine for the surrounds in my living room setup, but from reading the threads here not everyone has had a positive experience with it. It was simple to set up and I've experienced no interference from my Linksys (G-band) wireless router which is placed right next to the transmitter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'm going to get one of those Rocketfish kits from Best Buy and I ordered an extra pair of Polk Audio speakers that I can mount on the wall as the rears. Based on all the reviews I was reading for both of these, sounds like I should have a solid wireless setup.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am not a fan of wireless as there can be problems with interference... Do you have carpet? It is really pretty easy to get special wire for it and snake in between pad and carpet. I have done this with great results. I have also run wire under rug to under couch to stands at sides of couch. Another option is to put rug or mat over wire at the doorway so not tripping over (if looks really don't matter, tape it). You can get specialized speaker wire that can be stepped on without damaging. The surrounds are not as important to match, but I suggest matching all the way around.

Edit: I was typing this as you answered above. Hope it works out great, enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19601192

I am not a fan of wireless as there can be problems with interference... Do you have carpet? It is really pretty easy to get special wire for it and snake in between pad and carpet.

Nah we have hardwood floors. I thought it wouldn't be an issue, but I've had cables running on the floor for 2 years now and I would just be vastly happier with a wireless system, even though it's not perfect. I'm just in an apartment so I'm not going all-out with the greatest home theater system ever... yet!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha1822 /forum/post/19601182

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'm going to get one of those Rocketfish kits from Best Buy and I ordered an extra pair of Polk Audio speakers that I can mount on the wall as the rears. Based on all the reviews I was reading for both of these, sounds like I should have a solid wireless setup.

Have you tried this setup out yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.