AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm living at home where we have a Pioneer/Polk Audio 7.1 system that I love. However I'm going to away to college in a couple of months and I want to be able to have surround sound there (mostly for surround music).

It's not practical for me to buy a receiver and passive speakers so I'm looking for a powered 5.1 channel system (like the Logitech ones) I can hook up to my computer. Does anyone have any recommendations? You can't really test these out and I don't know which ones sound good. Anyone have any opinions on the Logitech systems?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only powered Type 5.1 system that I know of is the Logitech speakers. You budget is super low for a 5.1.

For you, I would not buy a Home theater in a box because that will not support your music needs.

What I would probably do, is find a set of 2.1computer speakers. If you want a 5.1, Your going to have to up your budget a bit and start off with a 2.1.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What is your budget range? Logitech has $80 to $350 surround setups.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you get the Gemini RS-412 speakers , which have a 12-inch woofer and have built-in dual amps. They run about $200, and go low enough that no subwoofer is needed.

I would forget about getting a 5.1 system and just go with two real good speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers1  /t/1417066/surround-system-for-college-recommednations#post_22159321

Right now I'm living at home where we have a Pioneer/Polk Audio 7.1 system that I love. However I'm going to away to college in a couple of months and I want to be able to have surround sound there (mostly for surround music).

It's not practical for me to buy a receiver and passive speakers so I'm looking for a powered 5.1 channel system (like the Logitech ones) I can hook up to my computer. Does anyone have any recommendations? You can't really test these out and I don't know which ones sound good. Anyone have any opinions on the Logitech systems?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts