AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some advice on what speaker set-up to buy.

I am buying a Samsung 56" 1080p DLP, along with a Pioneer VSX 1016 AV receiver. I am stuck on the speakers though..

I have a 13'x15' living room, and I am debating whether to go with a Klipsch C-2 center, S-2's up front and S-1's in the back along with a 10" Klipsch sub.

Or to go with C-2 center, F-1 (possibly F-2s) floor speakers in the front and the S-1's in the back.. my question if I go with this setup is will I even NEED the sub if I get the two F-1s? Will they provide enough base?

My only concern is that I live in an apartment complex.. anyone think either of these setups may be overkill and I should just go with the Quintet III speaker system and the 10" Klipsch sub?

edit - just some more info. I will use the TV mostly for DVDs, sports and the Xbox 360.. won't be used much for music. Also, I am going with the Klipsch because my girlfriend works at BB and she gets a really good discount.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Can't speak for the Quintet III's never heard them but I love athena for a budget speaker.

Even the best floorstanders won't handle the low frequencies for HT like a good setup with a sub. They aren't made for that. For music you could probably get by with the bass response of the F1s or F2s up front and be happy but for HT Movies you won't get the low freqency effect a sub will provide. You said you live in an apt and even though you have a sub in the setup you don't have to set it where it'll rattle the complex. If you can possibly place it near your seating position you'll be able to calibrate the sub to a much lower level and still get the effects.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

Can't speak for the Quintet III's never heard them but I love athena for a budget speaker.

Even the best floorstanders won't handle the low frequencies for HT like a good setup with a sub. They aren't made for that. For music you could probably get by with the bass response of the F1s or F2s up front and be happy but for HT Movies you won't get the low freqency effect a sub will provide. You said you live in an apt and even though you have a sub in the setup you don't have to set it where it'll rattle the complex. If you can possibly place it near your seating position you'll be able to calibrate the sub much lower and still get the effects.

Will I notice a big difference if I go for the F1s or F2s compared to the S-2s? Sorry, I haven't had much experience with surround sound setups. The price difference between a pair of both are only about $90 after the discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyjosh /forum/post/0

Will I notice a big difference if I go for the F1s or F2s compared to the S-2s? Sorry, I haven't had much experience with surround sound setups. The price difference between a pair of both are only about $90 after the discount.

The S-2's are surround speakers. You will notice a BIG difference between the floorstanders and the surround speakers. I would look at F-2's, B-3's, or B-2's for the front channels. Also seriously consider a subwoofer. The Klipsch Sub 12 is MUCH better than the Sub 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.