AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very much would like to buy the Diva 2.1s for my front speakers (I'm limited by the wife to a bookshelf speaker for the front channels), paired with a C3 in the center. However, my wife has vetoed the R3 surrounds because they are simply too large (18 inches wide). And, I do not want to use another set of 2.1s for the rears because I prefer the enveloping effect of dipoles or bipoles for what will be primarily a TV and movie system. This raises the following question:

--Does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller dipole or bipole surround that has sound characteristics that will blend well with the Diva 2.1 and C3 combination in the front?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Blue:

I feel for you, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've asked the question of what would best match divas and the answer that I got back was Atlantic Technology speakers . I am in the process of determining what would work best for me but I may end up getting the 374SR because of my liited horizontal space but I think the 274SR would be another option

One other thing is that Farscape66 (do a search on the diva thread) has recently ordered some axiom speakers for rear surrounds. You could pm him and ask what he thought of the timbre match

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had this sampe problem and found the Axion QS4 to be my solution. They sound great and fit in a nice compact space. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Axiom's give great sound dispersal and help with room enveolpment also.

___

I also suggest that you email av123 and complain about the lack of a product in the Diva line that fits this need for a small speaker. I have done so on many occasions. It is good to know that I am not alone. There are many people with space limitation who need other options for rear surrounds.

___

Let our voices be heard, maybe someone will listen.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Farscape, I do understand your need for smaller speakers. A few things come to mind...one, new models take considerable time to design. The Diva's were worked on for *quite* some time before they were where they are today. Even if work was started the day you asked, they still would be a ways off.

Also, we are not in the business to make 3" cube speakers. There are significant losses in performance by doing so, and we choose not to market these speakers as an acceptable alternative. It would dimish the quality Diva is known for and I just can't recommend going that route.

Sean

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sean,

I totally understand that it's not worth Diva's hard earned reputation to put out what would necessarily be a lower quality speaker if it were as small as 3 or even 6 inches cubed. However, what about 10 to 12 inch wide surrounds? Is there any dipole or bipole in the works at Diva that is in that medium sized range? That would be significantly smaller than the R3 by my wife's standards. It would work great for those of us with spouses who plan to make us do things like put 2.1s in the front on a wall unit instead of getting the 6.1 towers I really want. It would also work great for people like farscape who have space limitations. (By the way, farscape, thanks for your reply.)

Blue

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ditto, to Blue's post above. I never wanted a 3 inch cube. But why cant I have something the size of the MUltimedia speakers Diva make, that can be used for home theatre. That is the real question.

If Diva's multimedia speakers really sound that good, then we know they can do smaller enclosures.

So do it!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The R3's are only 18.2" wide...would 6" shorter make that big of a difference?

Just wondering...

Sean

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sean,

It really does matter to the final decision maker -- my wife -- who doesn't want a large speaker in her family room. Plus, 6 inches narrower would likely mean a little shorter as well. That is why she has agreed to certain speakers I've pointed out in the store, but vetoed the R3 based on a cut out of the dimensions I showed her. I guess she had to draw the line somewhere. I would think that other people who are limited by a spouse to bookshelf speakers for the fronts aren't going to be able to get approval for something as large as the R3 on the sides or rear. I'm not offended by Divas decision not to serve this niche needing smaller surrounds; I just think you're missing out on some potential sales. I just have to decide whether to mix and match Diva fronts and center with another, smaller surround, or whether to go with another manufacturer entirely.

By the way, Sean, as the official Diva expert, do you have any recommendations of a smaller surround by another manufacturer that will sufficiently timbre match the 2.1s and C3 up front?

·
Registered
290 Posts
We need a "find a new wife" section in this forum!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Look into the Axiom's they work for me. Can't recommend them enough. The Cherry sort of matches the Diva's.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Blue, I am sorry but I do not at this time. I just have not heard enough different dipoles to make a good recommendation.

I have noted the need for a smaller speaker and I will certainly post if something is in the works.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks anyway, Sean. As it turns out, it has all become moot because I can't fit the the 2.1s in my wife's new wall unit (note the new thread I started last night on which small speakers can sit horizontally in a wall unit). I was really hoping to get the 2.1s, but she won't budge on the placement limitations. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for when I can scrape together enough money to do a basement theater, where I'll have free rein to get 6.1s and R3s!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Have you considered hiring a hyptnosis expert to change her mind. Where there is a will there is a way!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes you gotta pick your battles and know when to surrender -- I gave in on the set up for the great room on the main level in exchange for her agreeing to let me do a basement theater in 1 to 2 years once we have saved a set amount of money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.