AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i built two horn speakers for my mains, and thinking of building more horns for surrounds. but that seemed like wasted cash/time, since 80% or so of contents come from the the fronts and 20% from surrounds.

so, what do you guys build for surrounds? something smaller and economical. would any of the kits on madisound work well for surrounds?

thanks

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for pointing out the pi speakers. i were looking at 4pi for mains replacement. not sure why i didn't take a closer look at the 1/2pi.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had a question to Wayne about the differences between the 1 and 2. i like the smaller 1, but te 2 seems to be the more popular choice for surrounds. waiting for his answer.

once i get his plans (either for the 1 or 2), then i can start making dusts.

so, the race is on. lol

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
I use B&C 8CX21 coax and XO-1 crossover

8CXT has better tweeter for ~$50 more but the CX21's sound fine to me.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20798086

the 2's just go a little bit lower, considering you are using them for surround duty, the one's will suffice. I asked wayne the same question

so which one did you end up building beast?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/20798098

I use B&C 8CX21 coax and XO-1 crossover

8CXT has better tweeter for ~$50 more but the CX21's sound fine to me.

thansk Noah, i'll look into those.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20798187

so which one did you end up building beast?

I plan on building the ones. Havent placed the order yet. I gotta get my front stage and amp issues sorted out first then ill work on the surrounds. Im thinkin if I put the aperions up for sale and actually sell them that it will motivate me to hurry and build the new ones

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
those coaxes are awesome, are there any other cheaper coax designs out there? My main concern as yours might be too smokarz, is doing domed tweeters for surrounds while your fronts have CD's I dont know what effect this will get you...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Sadly, there hasn't really been too many DIY coax builds. You missed one of our greatest AVS DIY project failures

In 2009 there was a set of polls to ask the group here to help build a quality HT speaker. Funny stuff because some of us knew it would be a massive failure since there will be always too many cooks in the kitchen even when most of those cooks would never buy anything anyways

Here is some of the coax discussion......

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=b+c+8cx21

fwiw, I would never use Dome tweeters for surrounds in a room that has CD main designs. Its a huge mismatch in gain structure and performance.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
exactly what I was thinking... Im almost back on the jbl 8340a's again. I think they would match up alright with the JTR t12's. I would like to build my own something with a cd, but the size constraints im working with is a huge issue...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Smokars, did you end up building your mains with the DE250 and 12" AE woofer? I'm thinking of building the 4 Pi with JBLs and DE250

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, there don't seem to be much coax designs that i aware of in the diy world.

the pi speakers seems attractive for a few primary reasons for me.

- economical (

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
the higher sensitivity is what has me hooked to thinking perhaps even though they are dome tweets, they would hang with a larger set of CD's its just the type of sound you get from either is so different that it, as penn stated, would not be very congruent.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr /forum/post/20798741

Smokars, did you end up building your mains with the DE250 and 12" AE woofer? I'm thinking of building the 4 Pi with JBLs and DE250

nope i did not, i was highly interested in the DE250/TD12 option due to a potential group buy on the TD12 but that have yet to happen. also, there are just too many variants with the e-wave designs that it's hard to lock down on crossover designs, cab size, port tuning, etc.

right now, i am leaning heavily towards the 4pi with ugpraded DE250 and JBL drivers, but they are costly. i have to save up. i don't think you can ever go wrong with the 4pi, highly regarded and a well proven design. rock solid speakers if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20798827

the higher sensitivity is what has me hooked to thinking perhaps even though they are dome tweets, they would hang with a larger set of CD's its just the type of sound you get from either is so different that it, as penn stated, would not be very congruent.

just to add, that max spl of 115db's is also with just 100 watts of power... that just seems crazy to me, but guess that is where the sensitivity comes in...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20798834

nope i did not, i was highly interested in the DE250/TD12 option due to a potential group buy on the TD12 but that have yet to happen. also, there are just too many variants with the e-wave designs that it's hard to lock down on crossover designs, cab size, port tuning, etc.

right now, i am leaning heavily towards the 4pi with ugpraded DE250 and JBL drivers, but they are costly. i have to save up. i don't think you can ever go wrong with the 4pi, highly regarded and a well proven design. rock solid speakers if you ask me.

Why not the DE250 and Eminence (deluxe Econowave)?? EricH is getting a good price on the Eminence 12" woofers.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts