AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I have the Onkyo TX SR602 (Rated 85 watts 8 ohm to 7 channels) and want to purchase a new set of rear speakers.

I currently have a full Klipsch front (Center / R / L) and wanted to get the S-1 (Synergy) to match these. However, these are rated only 50 watts continuous. Would I still be OK with these? I won't be blasting these - only use them for movies, etc.

I figured it was important to stick with klipsch since they are all horn-based? Does this seem reasonable?

any other recommendations in the sub $250 range for a rear pair?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
You probably would not damage 50w speakers back there, unless you listen pretty loud.

Larger speakers will give you more presense in back though

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnejo3
Hey all - I have the Onkyo TX SR602 (Rated 85 watts 8 ohm to 7 channels) and want to purchase a new set of rear speakers.

I currently have a full Klipsch front (Center / R / L) and wanted to get the S-1 (Synergy) to match these. However, these are rated only 50 watts continuous. Would I still be OK with these? I won't be blasting these - only use them for movies, etc.
Good choices IMHO; I have an Onkyo TX-DS777 with Klipsch References.

Don't worry about over powering the speakers. As long as you have them set to small, I doubt you'll get near their limits. Given their frequency response, however, you should cross them over at 100Hz or above, if possible. What speakers do you have in front? New Synergy's, I assume.
Quote:
I figured it was important to stick with klipsch since they are all horn-based? Does this seem reasonable?
Yes, ideally you should stick with the same line of Klipsch all around for proper timbre matching. This would be more important for multi-channel music; you can usually get away with mis-matched surrounds for movies if you're not too picky, but this is a trade-off.
Quote:
any other recommendations in the sub $250 range for a rear pair?
If you like a diffuse surround soundfield (I do) the S-1 is a good choice; the S-2's, with a larger driver, are well worth the extra money if you can swing it. The S-2 is the Synergy equivalent to my surrounds, the RS-25, and I love them. If you prefer direct radiating surrounds, you might consider a pair of B-2 bookshelves. They will match your fronts, but won't give you as an enveloping soundfield.

Hope this helps,

Lee

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot - this makes sense.

I might try and find the S-2's on a deal - I live in the Bay Area, so perhaps I can find a deal somewhere.

My fronts are the older, large floor standing models (got them from an open box special 3 years ago at Hifi Buys (Tweeter) - Not sure the models. They ran like 800 for the pair. I have the RC-25 center.

So sounds like I should stick with the Klipsch for best sound matching - and I would prefer the wider dispersion of sound.

Any wire recommendations for the rears? Can i get away with smaller wire (as I will have to run the wire through carpet, etc.)

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot - this makes sense.

I might try and find the S-2's on a deal - I live in the Bay Area, so perhaps I can find a deal somewhere.

My fronts are the older, large floor standing models (got them from an open box special 3 years ago at Hifi Buys (Tweeter) - Not sure the models. They ran like 800 for the pair. I have the RC-25 center.

So sounds like I should stick with the Klipsch for best sound matching - and I would prefer the wider dispersion of sound.

Any wire recommendations for the rears? Can i get away with smaller wire (as I will have to run the wire through carpet, etc.)

Thanks
I have the same center, and with your large mains, I do think the S-2's are the right choice for you; the rest of your system 'deserves' more than the 4" woofer in the S-1 ;) . For a discusion on speaker cable, check out:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You will be OK with 16 or 18 gauge. For the length of run you'll probably need for the surrounds, I wouldn't use 20 gauge or thinner. For my surrounds, I use 16 gauge white flat speaker cable from Acoustic Research. This cable is quite unobtrusive and affordable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.