AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of help from the audio gurus here--

Two semi-related questions that will help me decide on rear speakers for my 5.1 system (room is too shallow and not laid out well for 7.1).

I'm going with the paradigm millenia 20s for LCR speakers due to space constraints and their high WAF. They are going on a wall that used to be a bookshelves and there are still bookshelves flanking the wall where the TV is, and any speaker sticking out more than 7-8" when mounted will be met with severe spousal disapproval.

So the questions are about the rear speakers:

1. The back of the wall is mostly covered in the center by built-in bookshelves and flanked on the outer edges by windows. Will ADP speakers work well with both speakers near the center of the back wall and put within separate bookshelves? Or will there be so much reflection that the sound they produce will just turn into a huge mess?

2. If I don't go with the ADPs, I could use direct-fire speakers in the upper corners of the back wall, which would give me wider separation. However, there aren't speakers in the millenia series that are smaller than the 20s (except the 10 hybrids which don't work b/c there is brick directly behind the back wall). Any suggestions of speakers to pair with the millenia 20s if this is the preferred configuration?

thanks a ton!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm...haven't gotten any bites on this, so I'm uploading a pic of the room setup to see if that helps.

I think I've only got 3 choices here for surround placements (if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know).

A: Dipole speakers on the side walls on either side. The speaker on the right would be within a built-in bookshelf, so it would immediately start bouncing sound off the bookshelf frame, while the left speaker is on a more open wall. These could be at any height.

B. Direct radiating speakers in the top corners of the room, aimed downward towards the listening position. Only problem here is choosing a monopole speaker that acoustically matches the LCR speakers. Along these lines, is it more important that the high or midrange speaker matches the LCR speakers? I'll be using a subwoofer for bass so I'm not as concerned about matching bass output.

C. Dipole speakers on the rear wall, within built-in bookshelves. These would also start to reflect the sound quickly, but may make the sweet spot of the theater limited to the seats directly in center of the room.

Outside of building a new house or room, which are not really options, which of these setups is my best bet for surround sound for movies? Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts