AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know that surround sound for HT is not supposed to be too obvious but I'm afraid that our surrounds are just too subtle.  Right now we are running 5.1 driven off our Denon 5420CI.  The fronts and center are Kilpsch Reference bookshelf speakers about 10 years old (RSX4/RCX4 IIRC); the surrounds are Niles ICS 7 inch in ceilings (a choice driven by the open concept design of the space.)  There doesn't seem to be much surround at all as just about everything seems to be coming from the front soundstage (which sounds very good).

I'm concerned that the surrounds will suffer even more when my new speakers arrive - Philharmonic 3's for the front L/R and a Philharmonitor used as a center.

FWIW, the in-ceiling surrounds are about a foot behind and a foot to either side of the main listening position.  I'm not sure if this is 'curable' with adjusting the levels to the rears or if it's indicative of the surrounds being 'over-matched' (which will only get worse with he new speakers).

·
Registered
54 Posts
An SPL meter might be helpful in your situation.I have a calibrated,MCACC, system but I also did an SPL calibration in another optional audio setting.I brought my surrounds up a little to where I like it.I find I use the calibrated setting more often but every once in a while I switch to my SPL setting.I am continually thinking my surrounds are to low,until I stand up.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not sure if that reciever has room correction software, but when I ran audiossey with my denon 1613, it really boosted my surround output.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Sometimes it depends on the source being played

Also, making sure the receiver is set to the proper surround format

Also the Klipsch is more sensitive, and will play louder with less watts

Check the volume level, and bring the surround level up higher, to match

the front level with test tones - even if you do it by ear to begin with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hadn't thought about the sensitivity so that makes sound.  The AVR is set correctly.  It does have AudessyXT32 but the cord wasn't long enough from where the AV closet is to where the main position is.  I'll check the volume level and see how that works out.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I recommend you get an extension cord for your calibration microphone and use it.  It should be fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Deff play with the levels either with Audessey or by ear of SPL meter. You want to be immersed by the surrounds. Not the the point where they make no affect or overbearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts