AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning... I have downsized the system in my apartment and the new setup will not allow for rear surrounds. (Both wiring and placement are a problem).

And so..i started thinking...if Yamaha can make me think that there are speakers behind me, why can't I??

Any tricks out there to bounce rears to the back of the room from the front wall?

Take 5.1 speakers.. and an AR 10" sub. Processor has delay setup options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nono..

The Yamaha YSP things are array speakers..I believe Polk now makes one as well..

I am trying to recreate a similar effect with 2 conventional surround speakers (Energy TAKE 5's)

Wanted to know if it is possible to bounce sound to the back of the room with some delay (possibly) and make it seem as though the surrounds are in their intended places.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You would already have a delay if the sound traveled from the front of the room to the rear and back to the listening area.

Try pointing them at the front wall, with them mounted as high as possible.

This might help create the null that you are trying to get.

It's worth a try, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will do some experimentation with white noise gen tomorrow.. post results Friday.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I though maybe there was already a guideline as to how to use rear surrounds mounted in front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.