AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Direct Radiating.

I really think dipoles worked great and were really needed in the days of Dolby Pro Logic, with mono surrounds. They diffuse and de-localize the speaker very well.

But now I much prefer direct.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts

I'm using Bi/Dipole with them set on dipole right now and really like them. Then again I'm running a 7.1 setup so maybe my opinion isn't valid here. 

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't really care for direct radiating speakers doing surround work. The sound becomes way to localized to me.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. With a 5.1 system and direct radiating speakers, is the Dolby recommendation still the best? About 2' above your head, and slightly behind you?

Where is the best spot to mount Bipoles in a 5.1 system?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC  /t/1521137/surrounds-what-type-do-you-prefer#post_24445742

Thanks guys. With a 5.1 system and direct radiating speakers, is the Dolby recommendation still the best? About 2' above your head, and slightly behind you?

Where is the best spot to mount Bipoles in a 5.1 system?

When using 5.1 - go with on the sides of the listening position between 90 and 110 degrees. I have 7.1 and use biplolar for all 4 surrounds. Love it. 

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/home-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppsDeacs  /t/1521137/surrounds-what-type-do-you-prefer#post_24447815

Does vertical position matter much? In relation to a person's head at ideal listening position.

It is recommended that the surround tweeters be at ear level while standing (but not over 6 feet).  Front and center tweeter level recommended to be at ear level while seated. 

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC  /t/1521137/surrounds-what-type-do-you-prefer#post_24447887

Thanks for the link. I thought bipoles used different mounting locations than direct speakers.

My bipolars are wall mounted using their keyhole bracket and sit flush on the wall. I use Definitive Technology SR8040BP's. I could have used stands as well but with kids I wanted them out of the way. 

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg  /t/1521137/surrounds-what-type-do-you-prefer#post_24447899

My bipolars are wall mounted using their keyhole bracket and sit flush on the wall.

Thanks. I meant the bipoles height and angle to listener when mounted. This follows the same Dolby guidelines as direct speakers, correct?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I do not prefer direct radiating either for same reasons mentioned above.

Seems too localized for me. And pulls my attention too much from the front stage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts