AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have two Audiofile towers setup as my surrounds. Now I understand that surround channels dont' put out much sound. BUT i do like when you can hear foot steps coming from the side or behind. Or a bullet flying by and I can hear it on my surrounds. Having said all that.

I sometimes cannot hear the side sounds. the footsteps. the bullet flying by. Or the japanese planes flying by in Pearl Harbor. Why? I have them on 80hz XO. My Onkyo HT-R590 only has the option to set a general XO. I cannot set up the XO for individual speakers. I have the level at 8.5db. What can I do? thx.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Do you mean you can't hear them at all or they are just too quiet? You need to balance the volumes on all your speakers. You have the surrounds turned way up, but maybe your mains need to be turned down. An SPL meter is the best way to balance them or your receiver may have an auto setup feature with a mic that can balance them for you.

Also keep in mind some movies are not heavy surround movies so you may hear them more for some films than others.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have you done the proper setup for your receiver telling it how many speakers you have, and the distance to each one from the listening position? If so, and you still don't hear the surrounds as you should, then feel free to make adjustments and increase the output on the surrounds.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Yup, like DP sez...run Audyssey on your AVR (page 24 of your manual). This will set the speakers to the correct levels. After that, if the surrounds seem subdued, it's the way the movie was mixed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx. Yes I can hear them. I came to the conclusion last night some movies are better at surround then others. I bought Interstellar yesterday and it sounded great and I could hear the surround really well. Depends on the movie i guess.

On another note. I started the movie on DTS HD MASTR AUDIO within the movie settings. My family and I noticed we could barely hear the voices in some parts of the movie. I switched the listening mode to PLIIx and that fixed the voices problem. We could hear them much better.

I also tried Rambo (the newest one) and the surrounds sounded awesome. thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts