AVS Forum banner

What is your preference for audio on Spiderman 1 & 2?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Insider's Thread, "paidgeek" from Sony Pictures suggested a thread be started so that he could gain feedback on what we want for the audio on the Spiderman 1 and 2 releases (no dates are set yet, but they're "inevitably" coming to BD sooner rather than later).

I didn't see that anyone started it yet, so here's my attempt.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I would prefer dtsHD MA lossless, but since it's a Sony studio release, please include DD EX 6.1 or dtsES 6.1 in addition to uncompressed LPCM 7.1.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

I would prefer dtsHD MA lossless, but since it's a Sony studio release, please include DD EX 6.1 or dtsES 6.1 in addition to uncompressed LPCM 7.1.

You responded before I could get the poll going.

What can I say, it's my first poll and I'm old and slow.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya /forum/post/0

Well, I voted TrueHD and LCPM... I'm really fine with either.

Not sure why someone would want [email protected] instead of either one of those, but hey whatever...

I agree, but paidgeek had mentioned the THD 20/48 possibly in lieu of the standard Dolby Digital track so I put it on there for the sake of completeness.

This is where I get a little fuzzy, but if they do put the THD 20/48 track on there, can't a core legacy dolby track be extracted anyway?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 /forum/post/0

You responded before I could get the poll going.

What can I say, it's my first poll and I'm old and slow.

Yeah, I was confused as to why the poll choices weren't there

With my non-HDMI PS3 setup, I really pay attention to lossy audio option as well as lossless audio choices. I would want full bitrate 1.5Mbps DD+ or dtsES tracks in addition to whatever Sony decides on for lossless audio. Has there been DD+ option on BDs so far?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya /forum/post/0

Well, I voted TrueHD and LCPM... I'm really fine with either.

Not sure why someone would want [email protected] instead of either one of those, but hey whatever...

Same for me, I'm fine with either LPCM or Dolby TrueHD as of *now* so I voted for both. If PS3 gets the update for DTS-HD-MA before the title ships, then I'm fine with that option as well.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I voted DTS, it has to be, but then again I love DTS, it is amazing, and if they put DTS-HDMA on all PS3s then there would not be a problem as that makes up a large percentage of the installed base, and hopefully all the next gen players come readily equipped.

Having said that my player wouldn't do any lossless other than PCM, (damn you Samsung) I would rather get the best disc possible and wait for the inevitable hardware upgrades.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

Yeah, I was confused as to why the poll choices weren't there

With my non-HDMI PS3 setup, I really pay attention to lossy audio option as well as lossless audio choices. I would want full bitrate 1.5Mbps DD+ or dtsES tracks in addition to whatever Sony decides on for lossless audio. Has there been DD+ option on BDs so far?

DD+ will not pass through SPDIF, and there is no re-encoding to DTS on BD players like with HD DVD players.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts

Quote:

I agree, but paidgeek had mentioned the THD 20/48 possibly in lieu of the standard Dolby Digital track so I put it on there for the sake of completeness.

This is where I get a little fuzzy, but if they do put the THD 20/48 track on there, can't a core legacy dolby track be extracted anyway?

according to the bd spec, the way bd deploys dolby lossless is to include BOTH an independent MLP track AND a standard DD track...there is no core like in dts-hs ma which uses extensions in addition to the core...to this extent what paidgeek said is a bit confusing since dts-hd ma would provide 100% compatibility with ALL bd players...of course you would only be getting the core and the only player that has indicated they would provide a firmware update for dts-hd ma is panasonic.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Either PCM or Dolby TrueHD. The PS3 can decode the latter, right?

Just please don't ditch the extras, Sony. Whether it requires MPEG4 or a 2nd disc, port over the features.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Why aren't there any 24/48 options?

Anywho, I went with TrueHD for the higher resolution. Though DTS-HD MA would be just as good.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou /forum/post/0

Why aren't there any 24/48 options?

Anywho, I went with TrueHD for the higher resolution. Though DTS-HD MA would be just as good.

Paidgeek didn't mention 24/48 as an "option" in the insider's thread so I didn't put it in the poll.

That said, I'm sure he'll see your post on the matter in this thread.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'm fine with PCM and DTHD.

To people who asked why not DTS-HD MA: PS3 already decodes DTHD. Although core lossy streams can be extracted from both, there are more people out there that can readily use DTHD lossless than DTS-HD MA. Hence preference for DTHD, I think.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

Paidgeek didn't mention 24/48 as an "option" in the insider's thread so I didn't put it in the poll.

Oh, whoops, I didn't realise that.

Quote:
That said, I'm sure he'll see your post on the matter in this thread.

Cool. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure it will be good. Some of the most highly praised audio tracks are 16/48 after all. Now 24bit is all the rage though.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

dts-hd ma is the best choice until the receivers handle it. The core DTS alone @1.5Mbps is quite compelling and will suffice until the AVR that can handle them show up for me.

Amen to that. This is will give the best audio option to the largest number of BD users.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

dts-hd ma is the best choice until the receivers handle it. The core DTS alone @1.5Mbps is quite compelling and will suffice until the AVR that can handle them show up for me.

DD is more efficient than DTS (think AVC vs MPEG2) and at 640kbps is better solution, plus the nice options like late night mode available.

Why anyone would prefer DTS-MA over D-THD is puzzling. There is NO MA hardware out there (yet). The PS3 is D-THD ready. It can readily pass the core 640kbps track out thru optical.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

In thinking for the future I will say DTS-HD all the way. Its the best choice once all the hardware is available. And until then we can still extract a 1.5Mbps core DTS track from it.

2nd that. Fox seems very committed to DTS HD Master Audio.

-------------------------

For many it would be nice if someone produced a small add-on HDMI box for advanced audio decoding. It would need to pass thru the HDMI signal and have 8 analog audio spigots.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.