AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are YOUR Top 3 Worst/Favorite Movies of all time?

Survey Rules:

1. You may list only 3 worst and only 3 favorites, so that you really have to think about it.

2. You should give a reason why each of them made your list, if you want to be taken seriously. Any reason is fine, be it bad/great acting, poor/fantastic directing, slow/fabulous story, Peter Jackson slapped/kissed your Grandma, exceeded/didn't meet your expectations, whatever.

3. No crying, whining, bitching, complaining, or putting down other members if they disagree with you or pick a movie you loved/hated. Let's have an intelligent, civilized discussion, not a petty argument! Diversity and debate is a good thing!

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
3 Favorites

1. Eyes Wide Shut--food for the brain, great use of light and color, layers of interpretation make for repeated viewing

2. Vanilla Sky--another well written movie that makes you think and reflect

3. Van Helsing--great effects and really scary, I just wish it had been longer, as I could have sat through another 3 hours.....

Just kidding. A shout out to my man Brent. Couldn't resist when I saw the blank slate. I'll have to think about my real answers for awhile.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
3 Favorites

1. Eyes Wide Shut--food for the brain, great use of light and color, layers of interpretation make for repeated viewing

2. Vanilla Sky--another well written movie that makes you think and reflect

3. Van Helsing--great effects and really scary, I just wish it had been longer, as I could have sat through another 3 hours.....

Just kidding. A shout out to my man Brent. Couldn't resist when I saw the blank slate. I'll have to think about my real answers for awhile.
Number three gave you away.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Favorites (in no real order)

Almost Famous - I fell in love with Kate Hudson watching this. Her performance in this IMO is one of the greatest in the history of film. The whole movie had charm, and just won me over in every way imaginable. I left feeling like I have known the characters my entire life. I rarely feel this good watching a film.

Jaws - I cant believe this film is 30 years old.How it holds up is a true testament to what a great movie it is. This movie just feels so REAL to me, the tension, the characters, the music, everything about this film is perfect.

Jackie Brown - I just love the feel of this film. Makes me want to be a bad ass gangster. The story is great, the characters are perfect, the pacing, the atmosphere, all perfect. I smile like a little kid watching this movie.

Worst (again, not in order)

This is hard because there are so many crappy el cheapo movies that are probably far worse than anything main stream hollywood does. So I will stick to movies that tried to be blockbusters and serious but ended up just plain brutal.

The stepford wives (remake) - What a trainwreck. Awful acting, the story was botched so bad and so full of wholes it made Battleship Earth look oscar worthy. Terrible film any way you slice it.

Birth - Oh my god, what a piece of crap. Unless you are a blossoming pedophile, avoid this steamer. Tried to be artsy and dramatic and came off as corny, twisted, and outright stupid.

The Manchurian Candidate (remake) - Another completely botched re-make. Denzil Washington must have a had a small temporary stroke while doing this film.

Just awful, enough said.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
doing it really quick without a lot of thought:

best 3:

X2 (the best movie of this type ever)

Star Wars (the all-time classic fun space movie)

The Naked Gun (funniest movie ever, although Airplane just about ties it)

worst 3:

Pulp Fiction (i hated the whole thing)

The Mirror has Two Faces (what crap)

Anything my wife likes (my wife only has good taste in men LOL)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Favorites:

1 "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" Unbelievably funny, quirky story. Fantastic direction and role portrayal. The "Lawrence of Arabia" of hayseed movies.

2 "LOTR, ROTK" Epic of all epics. Story combined with effects in a way never before accomplished.

3 "Monty Python, The Search for The Holy Grail" Do I really need to give a reason?

Worst:

1 "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas", modern version with Jim Carrey

Never was there a more poinless film made. Ridiculously bloated to fill 2 hours. Altering the original Dr. Seuss story in unimaginably vile and grotesque ways. This is the definition of bad film.

2 "Anchorman, The Legend of Ron Burgandy"

I'm a little biased here, in that I can't stand Will Ferrell, but the entire cast of this film was turned into a bunch of Will Ferrells. It failed to be funny at every attempt.

3 Wow, there are so many...

Ok, how 'bout "Cool World" with Brad Pitt.

They just don't get much worse. The acting in this film was hideous. The animation looked like it was done by 10 year olds. Just bad...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Top 2 Worst Movies of All Time

1. Howard the Duck - A freaking DUCK outfit, c'mon!

2. Trancers 3 - No plot, no acting, not even decent T&A to make up for the lack of anything good

* I didn't bother with Trancers 4-6, but I'd imagine they'd be right up (down) there on worst movies list

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
doing it really quick without a lot of thought:

)
At first I thought this was either the beginning of a sex therapy book recommendation for couples or a for book on the war in Iraq. ;)

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
faves:

house of flying daggers, the non-english audio is killer and adds lots to the visual storytelling

pulp fiction, set the standard on non linear crime movies

i am sam, makes grown men squall like girls

worst:

elektra, fine garner couldnt save it

the ring, WTF man

buckaroo banzai, only cause there was no sequels

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969
What are YOUR Top 3 Worst/Favorite Movies of all time?

Survey Rules:

1. You may list only 3 worst and only 3 favorites, so that you really have to think about it.

2. You should give a reason why each of them made your list, if you want to be taken seriously. Any reason is fine, be it bad/great acting, poor/fantastic directing, slow/fabulous story, Peter Jackson slapped/kissed your Grandma, exceeded/didn't meet your expectations, whatever.

3. No crying, whining, bitching, complaining, or putting down other members if they disagree with you or pick a movie you loved/hated. Let's have an intelligent, civilized discussion, not a petty argument! Diversity and debate is a good thing!
Now there are rules to these endless top 5, top 10, top 2,000,000 list polls??? I want to blow up the E! channel for creating the desire to have a top this or that lists for everything. : :rolleyes:

And hasn't this poll been done like 5 billion times already??

·
Registered
534 Posts
Favorite

The Quiet Man - Hmmm,.. action, comedy, love story, etc. etc.

Blade Runner - The music, visuals and Rutger Hauer's final scene

Alien - Two generes in one excellent film

Worst

Grease 2 - at a loss for words

Wild Wild West - The spider,... thing

Please don't make me remember any more,.....

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Wind
Now there are rules to these endless top 5, top 10, top 2,000,000 list polls??? I want to blow up the E! channel for creating the desire to have a top this or that lists for everything. : :rolleyes:

And hasn't this poll been done like 5 billion times already??
Why do you care? Don't read it or participate. Imagine...being able to not get angry over something by just not reading it. Wow, that's pretty hard to do. :confused: It's not like the title was misleading or anything. Geesh.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Favorites -

1. My Fair Lady - Astonishing score that moves the story, unexcelled lush photography, sets and costumes, and Rex Harrison who practiced this roll for years. Marney Nixon's voice is a treasure.

2. High Noon - perfect pace, great actors & performances (especially the incomparable Gary Cooper), and that theme song by Tex Ritter.

3. Gladiator - great melodrama mixed with terrific action and staging together with modern film and sound production values. The acting and direction struck me as perfect.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Favorite:

LOTR Trilogy Extended Editions: I consider all three movies to be one long epic film, so for me all three count as one movie. The landscapes of New Zealand are great, the score fits perfectly, the good vs. evil and no way to win story is just terrific with characters that you cared about.

The Ten Commandments: Great epic story with great actors like, Charleston Heston, Yule Brynner and Edward G. Robinson to name a few. Great acting, and directing and good special effects for a time when there really weren’t any special effects. Just an all around well told story too.

Star War: The Empire Strikes Back. A score that includes those famous notes that always mean Darth Vader, kind of like those notes is Jaws that always mean shark. Once again the struggle of good vs. evil with characters that you like and cared about. Special effects look better than a lot of CGI stuff done today and it was done with models back then.

Worst:

Battlefield Earth with John Travolta. Absolutely terrible acting, directing, plot, screenplay etc... This movie just rots on all fronts. I want my money and time back from this film. No redeming value in this film at all.

Titanic: The only thing good about this movie was the ship sinking and even that was lousy. Terrible acting and a love story that almost made me throw up.

Matrix Reloaded: Sure we're all about to face our doom, but lets not prepare for a battle, lets have a rave and all dance. Same old slow motion pause in the air stuff we'd seen in the first Matrix, except to many years had gone by and now every comedy mocks this stuff. This movie relied on the special effects of the first Matrix instead of building on the great story that was started.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
How do you choose such things?

Oh well, for best, the arty sort of stuff:

Lawrence of Arabia greatest color film ever made
Les Enfants du Paradis French Gone With the Wind
The Passion of Joan of Arc Slow but absolutely amazing.

The worst? The worst would be films so bad no one even heard of them. How about bad films lots of people thought were great:

Pulp Fiction people have this delusion that Quentin Tarentino can write.
The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile okay, they're not terrible but still just a bunch of prison movie cliches.
A Beautiful Mind mental illness Lite.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow so many.

Best:

1. Saving Private Ryan - cinematic masterpiece and documented realism

2. Three O'Clock High - Teen bully movie with subtle humor and just a good story

3. Warriors - 80's throwback gang movie where only one gangmember of hundreds

possessed a weapon and the Warriors fight their way home. Awesome.

Worst:

1. Dogma - It's Dog something, just not "ma"

2. Star Wars Attack of the Clones: EVERYONE mailed it in except the computers

3. Anything with Barbara Streisand

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best: 1. Airplane - still laugh when I see it

2. Monty Python and the Holy grail - see above

3. Outlaw Josey Wales - Best Clint Eastwood movie he ever made

Worst: 1. Napolean Dynamite - lame and so so stupid, not funny at all

2. Battlefield Earth - another movie I never made to the end

3. Chariots of Fire - boring, turned it off after 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The Big Lebowski

Goodfellas

Cool Hand Luke

Don't have absolute favorites but these are three of many I liked a lot.

The Fog

Bewitched

The Cave

The worst are all from 05 because Hollyweird should know better by now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.