Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm curious as to how everyone has their screens set up, if using an HTPC. With a 4:3 digital projector there are many different options to use a 16:9 screen, so how do you have yours aligned?

1. Using a 4:3 screen.

2. Top-aligned 16:9 screen and 4:3 Windows desktop. Windows spills off the screen and on to the wall. YxY used to shift image up.

3. Centered 16:9 screen and 4:3 Windows desktop. Windows spills off the screen and onto the wall.

4. Bottom-aligned 16:9 screen and 4:3 Windows desktop. Windows spills off the screen. YxY used to shift image down.

5. 16:9 screen and 16:9 Windows desktop. Either using DILARD to modify projector settings to take a 16:9 resolution, or increasing the front & back porch setttings to "pad" the 16:9 resolution so the projector sees 4:3.

6. 16:9 screen and anamorphic lens.

I think that covers all the cases. If there's a different layout which you use, let me know.

Cheers!

Dave.

[This message has been edited by David Panko (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
5.5 1.78 screen and 1360x768 windows desktop. Mark Foster modified so 1.78 is top aliened (bottom of D-ILA panel) for all 1.78 resolutions. 1.33 resolutions are centered in the 1.78 screen at 1024x768.

------------------

William

·
Registered
855 Posts
Number 1 - 100" inch diagonal

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Soon to be #6 (come to me Panamorph!) at ~100". I do nothing except gaming (mostly racing) and DVDs for the kids when my HTPC is connected to the projector.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
#5 on a 96"x54" Grayhawk.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Complete mix up for me... I use the zoom to have 4:3 pillarboxed and use this mode to see the windows desktop correctly position all computer gaming, audio applications and my TV usage (I could be using dScalers AR features but as I watch TV in the daytime having full panel brightness helps)...

For widescreen material I then zoom out and use YxY to top align on the panel to compensate for the image shift...

Best of all worlds for me... I am unsure how much the Pannie is going to mix this all up but if I end up with too much image shift down (and I can mount my PJ higher very easily) to still have 4:3 and Pannie shifted 16:9 on the same screen then I will probably just do everything 16:9 and live with compressed PC games and applications..

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

Use YXY only to bottom align 2.35:1 material, and then mask the top for no black bars.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
#1 but with 16:9 content top aligned using DVDsubber.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Impressive, Phil. You and Alan are the only two I know of using constant-height, variable-width. Not easy to do with a 4:3 projector.

Is your Windows desktop also 2.40:1?

Next you'll need a Panamorph or another ISCO to get full use of the panel!

Dave.

·
Registered
94 Posts
David,

I'm using #'s 1, 2, & 3!!! (Well, kind of...)

I've got a Stewart Horizontal ScreenWall ElectriMask. See, http://www.stewartfilm.com/engineeri...ns/hzswem.html

I still view some 4:3 material, so I wanted multiple formats. The bonus is: you get 4:3, 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1.

The only downside is the cost! (Good thing my wife doesn't know what I paid!!!)

------------------

Evan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.