Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referring to the following post and Bob Rose's comments:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/008749.html

Who in Chicago has successfully found WBBM in 8VSB Air-CH35 on their AT&T Cable system?

I think it would be interesting to know, but there is also a sinister plot here. I am looking for a community to live in, and I want to move where I can get WBBM-DTV.

Bob, said he would try to get a list of zip codes but I really don't think he will pull it off. Cable companies are very reluctant to give any demographic data concerning what services they have.

[edit: I said Chicago, but I meant Chicago Metro Area, which includes any suburbs as well http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ]

Thanks,

Rick

[This message has been edited by wirehead_rick (edited 12-15-2000).]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All,

I'm still waiting for feedback from WBBM (like zip codes)

Maybe today

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vance45:
A scan on my nieghbor's AT&T cable found nothing. Channel 35 is CNN in Elgin.

Vance
I hope to find a neighbor here in Aurora that I can test on today . . .

Justin Thyme

------------------

Yes, we have no ABC, CBS, PBS or WGN HD in Chicago . . .

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the overwhelming response is killing me! That's OK, the HDTV situation in Chi-Town _is_ rather bleak. It's hard to get involved when there isn't much to get excited about. Thanks for the responses up to this point anyway! I appreciate it.

I'm not suprised we haven't heard from Bob Rose, but I still have hope! I tried emailing AT&T cable and got redirected to their website which will only tell you waht is available where you are at. Not what is available where. I'm convinced they are guarding their features vs. demographic data like it was gold (maybe it is??).

Anyway, any new info is welcome. I still have 3 weeks till I have to make my move.

Rick

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Back to top..

------------------

--Sclaws--

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All,

I was promised by the AT&T people a list of cities in the Chicago area that are carrying WBBM-DT.

It should arrive today

Bob Ross

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BobRoss:
Hi All,

I was promised by the AT&T people a list of cities in the Chicago area that are carrying WBBM-DT.

It should arrive today

Bob Ross
Thanks, Bob. Pardon my skepticism.

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bob, do you know if RCN is carrying the signal as well, or has any plans to? I can't seem to find anyone over there who seems to know what they're talking about when it comes to HD. Thanks.

-Andy

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got rid of cable because the picture was absolutely awful. What is the likelihood of getting cable turned back on and have the picture not suck and getting CBS in HD?

My zipcode is 60614. Is that one of the magic zipcodes?

And would I only have to subscribe to basic cable service? I am currently paying DirecTv for Platinum, local channels and service to two extra boxes. I hate the thought of paying even more but in Chicago there doesn't seem to be much of a choice if you want to see HD.

- kim

·
Registered
241 Posts
Damn!!!!!!

Out of luck again!!!!!! I guess most of the south suburbs are out of luck........So much for NFL in HDTV for me.

Chuck De Court,

How is the search for a new transmitter site going???

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow!!!!!

I didn't think it was possible!

Thank you Mr. deCourt (and Bob Ross too!). I sent you a personal email as well, but I just want to publicly say YESSSSSS!

It certainly shows WBBM/CBS commitment to providing HDTV to the masses and I will not forget. I understand how technical issues can get in the way, but it is clear how WBBM/CBS is making the attempt to lead the pack and not let the technical issues get in their way.

Now I have to pick where I want to live!

Super Bowl in HD, here I come!

Rick

·
Registered
241 Posts
Chuck deCourt,

Thanks for the update on the quest for a new transmitter site in Chicago. I am hoping that the new transmitter site will not alienate those of us in the Chicago southland area(Homewood/Flossmoor, Country Club Hills, Chicago Heights, Olympia Fields, etc....)

as we are not in the upgraded cable area and will not be able to receive WBBM-DT over cable.

I do not know when AT&T Broadband will reach our area (if ever), so the only chance is OTA.

Please keep us posted Mr. deCourt.

Tim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, so I still don't understand. But I do appreciate the replies.

I am in the city of Chicago and not a suburb. I only saw suburbs listed and Chicago area 1,4 and 5. Is the city not covered?

What does this mean:

Chicago Area 1 Chicago EIA CHANNEL 86- 597.25

Chicago Area 4 Chicago EIA CHANNEL 86- 597.25

Chicago Area 5 Chicago EIA CHANNEL 86- 597.25

Thank you for keeping us informed. Believe me it is very much appreciated.

- kim

·
Registered
33 Posts
"There are a few drawbacks to this location as the eastern and southeastern

parts of the Chicago market will be challenged to receive our HD signal."

Well this REALLY SUCKS. So does this mean that the NW Indiana Area will be left out? Here's a bit of advice to Chuck, Bob and all those at CBS - THIS WILL BE A BIG MISTAKE! I'd strongly advise you guys to take a look at the population data for your market and see just how big of a chunk of your viewing area you're going to be leaving out. There has got to be another alternative to this. I think that perhaps letting the FCC know that the only solution for staying on channel 3 will be to cut out a HUGE chunk of your market, might make them think twice about not giving you a new channel.

Brian

And one more thing - I just got rid of AT&T cable because I'm investing $55 a month in dishnetwork and I just shelled out $200 for the OTA module, antenna and antenna amp. Now I'm being told that the only way I'm going to be able to get CBS HD is to sign up for cable again??? This Chicago situation is pathetic. CBS should really be ashamed, especially after the great job they seem to be doing in other parts of the country.

And another thing (I'm on a roll now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) - If the FCC gave you the license to broadcast on Ch3 and they won't give you another channel, then just turn it on. If it screws with AT&T cable what do you care, let them go complain to the FCC. Seems to me that AT&T wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on against CBS seeing as CBS has the license to channel 3.

[This message has been edited by Brian M Kuss (edited 12-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brian M Kuss (edited 12-23-2000).]

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
CBS should really be ashamed, especially after the great job they seem to be doing in other parts of the country.
First off CBS should be nothing but PROUD of their leading role in HD! Secondly don't be ragging CBS for any problems in Chicago, you should be going after WBBM Chicago...and even then WBBM has been VERY proactive in trying to get this problem resolved by signing an agreement with AT&T to at least offer the signal through them so we can watch it. The real culprit you should be going after with complaints are the Anal people at the FCC for first off assigning channel 3 knowing full well most VCR's, cables boxes use this channel to broadcast to TV's they are hooked up to!

Quote:
If the FCC gave you the license to broadcast on Ch3 and they won't give you another channel, then just turn it on. If it screws with AT&T cable what do you care, let them go complain to the FCC. Seems to me that AT&T wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on against CBS seeing as CBS has the license to channel 3.
All this would do is put WBBM in a position to be sued by AT&T for interfering with their equipment!

We start getting people from CBS & WBBM who are nice enough to give us their time & information and they have to start getting slammed by those who are not satisfied that the signal is 100% to their home! If you want to rag CBS or WBBM then do it privately and not at these gentlemen who are kind enough to let us in on what is up!

Bob & Chuck... Please don't take the above poster as a sign of what the VAST MAJORITY of us think of CBS, WBBM and yourselves personally! We are almost unanimously in debt to you both for your gracious time you have given us to find out what is going on here locally and understand totally how this situation has come about because of the inept people running the FCC who just don't have a clue!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 12-23-2000).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Although the list says I should be getting CBS HD programming on AT&T cable channel 58, I am getting it on channel 115. The picture is great! What a terrific Christmas present. Let's hope this continues and that a way can be found to expand delivery to include all Chicago area communities. A few months ago I didn't think we would be seeing any network HD in Chicago until well into 2001 or even 2002, and now many of us are receiving NBC (OTA), ABC (OTA), and CBS (cable) before the end of 2000.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Forgot to mention, in answer to several earlier questions, that I am receiving WBBM HD on AT&T cable channel 115 with only a basic service subscription.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Howdy Frank -

First, let me re-phrase: "CBS should be ashamed of their affiliate WBBM for the HDTV situation in Chicago."

Second, "and even then WBBM has been VERY proactive in trying to get this problem resolved by signing an agreement with AT&T to at least offer the signal through them so we can watch it." Hey I've got an idea! How about being a little proactive in broadcasting HD OTA, like you're supposed to. Sorry Frank, I may have a decent job but I'm not about to subscribe to satellite AND cable just so I can get one channel (which according to the FCC I'm supposed to get for free). Let's not over-glorify this temporary patch-up job WBBM has done with AT&T cable. Besides, even that's not availble in NW Indiana.

Third, you are absolutely correct - CBS is the lone shining star in HDTV as of this moment.

Fourth, "The real culprit you should be going after with complaints are the Anal people at the FCC for first off assigning channel 3 knowing full well most VCR's, cables boxes use this channel to broadcast to TV's they are hooked up to!" You are right on again.

Fifth, "All this would do is put WBBM in a position to be sued by AT&T for interferring with their equipment!" Now this is where you don't make any sense. Hypothetical situation follows: I am on a road construction crew. I just recieved a contract from the mayor's office to build a road. However when I get to the site I notice that the road goes right through somebody's front lawn. I go back to the mayor's office and say, "geez - you know, this road goes right through Joe's front lawn." The Mayor says, "I don't care - build it anyway." Then I go back and start building the road. Now when Joe calls the cops over I flash my city building permit and that's it - I'm in the clear. If Joe want's to take if further he sues the Mayor's office, not me.

If WBBM has a FCC license to broadcast on channel 3, how in the world could AT&T have ANY basis for a lawsuit?

Next, "We start getting people from CBS & WBBM who are nice enough to give us their time & information and they have to start getting slammed by those who are not satisfied that the signal is 100% to their home! If you want to rag CBS or WBBM then do it privately and not at these gentlemen who are kind enough to let us in on what is up!" Stop being such a brown-noser! I think that since Bob & Chuck are here, they would want to hear all opinions, not just the ones that paint a rosy picture. Chuck or Bob, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Look don't get me wrong, I think it's great that somebody is listening, but come on - Chicago is the #3 market in the US and until last month we had no HD at all! Forgive me if I'm a little upset, but I've shelled out over $10,000 for equipment over the past year and still can't see the super bowl in HD!

Brian

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.