AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep .. same here .. wondering if the name Hantz must somehow be marked by Burnett as a name that has to be on the winners list sometime .. I just don't understand it myself ..

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have to assume that the Hantz kid knows not to use his last name or his connection to Russel. This is a ploy to get an audience. The franchise probably thinks that they can't get enough of an audience without throwing some known names/personalities in to the mix. The background scenery has been less of an issue and those are being recycled now.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta agree .. oh, for the good old days when the whole cast was new .. at least they did not bring Russell back for what, a 4th time .. ??

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to admit I'm glad to see Ozzy on the show ..

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/20884881

Soo looking forward to this. Ozzy was awesome on this show and was an animal in the water challenges, I swear he was like part dolphin or something. Can't wait!

That was back when they actually had water challenges....and I'm not talking about catching a bean-bag while jumping into a pee pool.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock /forum/post/20885072

That was back when they actually had water challenges....and I'm not talking about catching a bean-bag while jumping into a pee pool.

Right. And IIRC the reason they purportedly have not had real water challenges on the recent seasons had something to do with supposedly dangerous water conditions at the location in Nicaragua? Since it's back in Samoa again, maybe they will get back in the ocean this time. I also read that they have made a change to redemption island so that they will not [sarcasm font]stash the entire cast of evictees there[/sarcasm font] like they did last season, and instead will be sticking to one-on-one duels only, with the loser leaving.

Quote:
And while the Redemption Island twist is back, there will be one major change to it, with the elimination of group duels — meaning each competition will truly be a win-or-go-home situation (as opposed to last season, in which players often simply did not have to come in last to stay alive). “We’re not having multi-person duels,” says Probst. “That was part of the experiment [last season]. We wanted to see how many people we could keep in the game until the end. And that’s why we let more people live out there. But we felt like it’s too many people and now we’ve got half the group still in it at the end. So it will only be a one-on-one situation. Loser’s out, winner stays. Otherwise, we’re playing it the same way.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/22/su...ific-new-cast/

If they insist on RI at least this is the better way to do it IMO.

ron

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't know why this show won't go back to what made it more interesting, having actual real people instead of almost all models and people from previous years. I thought Coach was hilarious but still won't watch this season because nobody should have 3 chances to win or even 2. They get lots of audition tapes, there's plenty of regular people they could pick!

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Good, I was tempted to start this thread.

Since I've been traveling a lot this summer, I've watched every episode of Survivor that's available on DVD, i.e. before the the ratings collapsed in season three in Africa and after they picked back up in the Pearl Island season until they went back down in Guatemala. Here are some things I liked about the older seasons (no spoilers for the two people who haven't seen them).

1. Surviving. People who said things were worse for the contestants in the old days were right. Lord, the Outback was floods, fires, rain, and trading shelter for food. I liked the first season when they were given the option to eat dog food.

2. Better introductions of the cast. Palau was brilliant by dumping everyone on the beach for a couple days with no clue who would belong to what tribe allowing alliances to form before tribes. Pearl Island started with contestants running around buying stuff. Vanuatu started with the natives scaring the hell out of the contestants. What's more boring than already being divided into tribes and quietly walking off to their camps?

3. Physical challenges. Some of the swimming challenges looked incredibly dangerous. I lost count of how many involved diving down twenty feet to untie something. I don't think contestants even swim now. They just throw coconuts at tiles.

4. No Jeff sportscasting. In earlier seasons we were allowed to watch the challenges without Jeff giving us (and the teams) a second-by-second play-by-play of what's happening on the screen. They would put on the screen "Colby in the lead" or something not distracting.

5. The Outcast tribe. This Redemption Island stuff is a revamped version of the Outcast tribe. The major difference: the Outcast tribe had a huge difference in the game. Redemption Island made no difference in last season.

6. No secret immunity idol. Amazingly the show was entertaining without contestants wasting their time and our time with this.

7. No purple rock tie-breaker. I liked the consequences of previous votes sticking with them instead of something random. This was somewhat critical when the tribes merged in the Outback since certain contestants would go if there was a tie, yet the other tribe didn't know which ones.

8. Construction challenges. In some challenges they had to use their brains to build things instead of solve puzzles. I liked the one where they had to make a treasure chest impenetrable by the other team in Palau. One of the funniest challenges was when a beloved popular contestant used his slow brain to turn their shelter into a swimming pool.

9. Reward challenges. In at least two seasons, the winner of a reward challenge made a critical mistake by taking the wrong person on the reward with them making someone mad or leaving a majority back at camp to conspire against them. I had no idea how important this was.

As I've said before, they haven't had much luck casting black men. Ibrehem was ripped and athletic in Palau was totally clueless during challenges. Cory in Vanuatu was grouchy and overconfident. But Osten in Pearl Islands was unbelievable. The guy looked ripped but couldn't swim, was frightened of birds and snakes, and even druggie computer programmer Christa was able to hold twenty more pounds on her shoulders than he could. He said he signed up to win a million bucks but didn't know much else about the show!

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar /forum/post/20886011

I don't know why this show won't go back to what made it more interesting, having actual real people instead of almost all models and people from previous years. I thought Coach was hilarious but still won't watch this season because nobody should have 3 chances to win or even 2. They get lots of audition tapes, there's plenty of regular people they could pick!

exactly ...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl /forum/post/20886185

1. Surviving. People who said things were worse for the contestants in the old days were right. Lord, the Outback was floods, fires, rain, and trading shelter for food. I liked the first season when they were given the option to eat dog food.

In the early seasons, food was not as plentiful and the role of provider for the tribe was very important. One of the reasons Richard Hatch was not booted off in season 1 was that he was really good at spearing fish.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva
They have way too many reward challenges.
The Redemption Island gimmick got rid of most of them if not all of them. The format is now a RI challenge and an immunity challenge in each episode.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva
That certainly was not true last season, they still had plenty of rewards
Burnett seems to have combined the reward in many cases with immunity .. I don't care for RI and I prefer the separate reward / immunity .. oh well, what can you do ..

1 - 20 of 803 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.