AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the non-SE version of Suspiria based on comments about the film that I've read here and elsewhere. My understanding is that the transfer of the film is the same on both the SE and non-SE versions.

I remember one poster claiming that this was "the scariest movie of all time". Did we see the same movie? Granted, I'm a little critical of a lot of horror fair, but I thought this one was a real stinker. I didn't find it the least bit scary.

It seems to me that people often critique foreign films to a lesser standard than American films. After almost 3 attempts, I have been unable to even sit thru "Life is Beautiful" (Am I the only one who can't stand Roberto Begnini?). Don't get me wrong. I enjoy many foreign films and often find them refreshing, since most don't follow the "Hollywood formula". Some recent ones I've seen that come to mind are the original "The Vanishing", "Run Lola, Run" and "With Friends like Harry...".

The effects looked incredibly fake and the acting, directing and storytelling left much to be desired. Since when is blood orange? Although I was never a film student, it did seem to me that the composition of many/most of the shots was quite good.

A few comments about the DVD: At first look, transfer did look fairly good for what is no doubt an obscure film. The sharpness and detail looked as good as many of my DVDs of more recent films. The sound quality was also quite good (Why would anyone want the soundtrack of this film on CD?!). However, this may sound contradictory to my statements above, this transfer shows compression artifacts a plenty. Many scenes (especially dark ones) exhibited bad posterization to the point of distraction. Note that I'm using JVC G15 on a 8 foot wide screen. I don't how noticeable this will be on other's setups. Also, the last twenty minutes of the film, my HTPC starting skipping on this DVD like crazy. Perhaps I was just unlucky and have a defective copy.

Unless you are already a fan of this film, I'd think twice about evening renting this DVD.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I have big problems with the alterations made to the film's soundtrack, but I think you ae way to harsh on this DVD. The transfer is astonishing. Yes, I see some artifacting in some darker scenes, but no more so than many major studio releases. :(

Any film made at the time had orange looking blood. Why, I do not know.

You either love or hate this film. I love it, despite the flaws. First 20 minutes are, of course, vastly superior to the rest of the film.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have the sound track of Suspiria in Dolby-Pro Logic Surround amonst others. In movie sound tracks I have about 475 Horror and Sci-Fi soundtracks on CD. I have my favorites one of is called "Come To Me" from movie "Frightnight". My earliest movie 1933 "King Kong" movie with Robert Armstrong.

The name I chose Hob for Hobby and goes in 3 formats 1. DVD 2. Compact Discs 3.Older Vhs not in DVD yet and will probably never will be. Movie watching and movie sound track listening are my hobbies. If I would say Hob for Hobble it wouldn't be me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only incredible thing to come out of Suspiria is Argento's use of the Three-Strip Color process. Pinks, greens, and yellows dominate the frame.

The film itself is horribly dated now- diminishing its nonexistent plot to nothing- but the visuals are definitely a treat for a "technical" film junkie.

BTW-Argento rips off Lucio Fulci in every film (notice i didnt say pays homage too, rather steals). In suspiria- its the dog ripping out the blind mans throat sequence. This was lifted from Fulci's The beyond (or seven doors of death--the US crap version)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DVDFile.com has what I would consider a fair review of this film at:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...spiria_le.html

I was surprised the compression artifacts weren't mentioned. I would guess that these are more noticable on a digital projector than a CRT projector or CRT RPTV.

TheDigitalBits.com( http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/suspirialtd.html ) also has a review of the film, although awarding this film a grade of "A-" is, IMO, outrageous! This was the review that convinced me to check out this lame flick.

·
Registered
946 Posts
As Matt says, Suspiria is a movie you either love or hate. Most movie viewers demand a plot that takes them from point A to point B in a straightforward, logical manner. To them, movies are classified as "entertainment" more than "art". If you sit back and watch this movie for its "mood" through the way it uses sound, color and composition this truly is a work of art. It's not unlike sitting through one of Tarkovsky's great films where plot is second nature to the image on screen.

BTW-it's Fulci that rips off Argento... Suspiria was first.

As for Life is Beautiful, again I guess you either love it or hate it, but I've watched it at least 7 times and find it touching every time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
JayF--

My bad. You are correct. Beyond came out in 81- Suspiria came out in 77.

I guess i should have check the dates before i have made a bash criticism.

Foot planted firmly in mouth...

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.