AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time I use my DVD player w/ component to watch movies on my dvd player. However, I'd like to be also able to use my computer in a pinch if the movie can't play on my DVD player.

My question is: how do I set the resolution of my ATI RAdeon 8500 to 848x480 (to match the projector). Is this the way I should approach the problem/

What should I have my projector AR set to, 4:3, 16:9, or letterbox, or native? Native I would imagine if I can set my resolution correctlly..

Thanks in advance,

Matt Lawson

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a ati 9600 and the best way to use s-video out is to set 848x480 @60hz you can go to advanced settings under the display control panel and then add a custom resolution, but it should already be in their, 848x480 seems to be the standard for computers in 480p, i have done this for a while to watch movies and play games but the quality is pretty bad, BUT your 8500 is like my 9600 in terms of outputs, the specs i saw you have a dvi-i dual link output, for $30 at ati's online store you can get the dvi to component adapter and then either switch it through a reciever or use a component ab switch to run your computer at true 480p.

From my experience with my x1 vga (almost same as component) is far better for the computer than svideo.

hope this helps,

Maurice

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am almost positive you should be in 16x9 but i thought your projector is 16x9 so native would be the same thing ; but check if your ati sofware lets you specify if it is a fixed ratio timing or not, you want to get the full resolution (no black bars) through the svideo (component from my ati is always squished with no bars) then the projector stretches it back to the correct shape (16x9)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.