AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my main TV connected over a digital link so all is well there.

Now I would like to use a secondary computer to feed DVDs over a standard def. distribution system to HD LCDs. Video is an ATI X300 with CCC 8.12. Testing is being done with PowerDVD 6. No matter what I try the image is being sent with the wrong vertical resolution. I can get the width using theater mode, but not the height.

How can I match that of my set-top DVD player so I can pull it?

Perfect picture quality is not the goal here
......only DVDs on-demand.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote:
Now I would like to use a secondary computer to feed DVDs over a standard def. distribution system to HD LCDs.

Are you using some kind of distribution system black box and feeding it by svideo or are you going straight to a TV with svideo? If you are using a black box, it is probably scaling the svideo to something that your tvs don't like. There was recently a thread where this issue cropped up.

svideo is 480i and all LCD tvs can scale this to their native resolution. You can then adjust the picture to whatever you like zoom, stretch, pillarbox, letterbox etc.

BB

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
video,

whatr aspect is your PC desktop resolution set to? If it is not set to a 4:3 aspect ratio then your 480i S-video output will not be correct since it is just a scan converted video image of your desktop?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried resolutions of 800x600, 1024x768, and 720x480.

I also went back and forth with setting 4:3 or 16:9 in PowerDVD.

Testing is going through an AutoPatch matrix unit; so no scaling there. The actual connection is SVideo from PC->Composite Adapter->AutoPatch->Composite->LCD

The results were the same when using SVideo direct.

The goal is to send the signal to multiple 720p LCDs.

Also, I was not able to get the video width without setting CCC to use theater mode in full screen on the secondary display (SVideo).

What resolution should I use for a 720p set and go with from there?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you make the primary display the TV does it help? Or try setting the desktop to 800x600 on the monitor and set the tv as clone?

BB

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, tried that.

It has to be some setting between the driver and video renderer.

My desktop never fills the screen even in a stretch mode, but the video is played with an even lower vertical resolution

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It appears that your PC DVD player software thinks it is talking to a 16:9 display so it is adding sidepillars to the 4:3 aspect ratio video that your dektop is set to before sending the video to the primary display.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure that that was the issue in the other thread I mentioned. The "black box" screwing up the video card. How does it work if you connect svideo directly to one of the LCDs.

I have tried to find the thread but I can't. Anybody else remember this?

BB

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BB:

What is the purpose of this "black box" you keep mentioning?

Walford:

I'll look into that more, thanks for the tip (though I'm pretty sure I've been through all the settings).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I mean the autopatch switcher. If you get a proper picture when hooked directly to your TV, then maybe the switcher is the problem.

BB

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picture is the same either way.

I did see something that I'm going to mess around with though when I get a chance.

Although CCC is set to use clone at a standard resolution, my display properties shows the TV ouput at 720x480. I'll look to set that manually and check if there is any difference.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
720x480 is a standard DVD recording resolution which is sampled to 640x480 for display on a 4:3 display.

I suggest that you try to get everything working without any intervening boxes/patch units with over S-video with your PC desktop resolution 800x600 to one of your HD LCDs.

I am curious as to why you are S-video to these units instead of an interface capable of better PQ and higher resolutions such as component.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's definitely not the matrix unit as I originally had it connected to an LCD directly and now brought a different LCD into my office for further/easy testing. I want this as I already have a composite matrix unit in place and the TVs I want to receive this are only bedroom sets and I only care about feeding DVDs (HD is not required at this time). My main set has a dedicated PC with a DVI/HDMI connection.

Attached is a pic of the screen with the standard desktop. What you can see is how it doesn't fill the vertical height (the same space is at top too). There is also a 1.85 movie playing in the standard 4:3 mode on the TV and the Full viewing mode (which, of course, it should be). When set to full, the vertical height does not change.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Humor us, hook the svideo directly to that test LCD and mess with the TV's zoom, etc. settings and post a picture of the display. It appears to me to be a settings issue on your TV or in the CC overscan settings. If you get a proper picture without changing settings, then it is an issue with matrix unit. All we are asking is to eliminate it from the equation, then after you get the proper settings for svideo direct to the tv, you can get the matrix working.

BB

BB

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BB-

Those are direct connect pics

The "space" pic shows how the vertical resolution is not sent or received correctly for the desktop (doesn't matter what view mode the TV is in) and there are bars at the top and bottom. The other 2 show how changing the view mode from 4:3 to full 16:9 makes no difference in the vertical resolution of a video when, of course, setting to 16:9 should show that 1.85 video with no bars.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Let me take a crack at this and see if it makes sense-(I don't have a solution, but I can see the problem)

First off "full" mode only stretches horizontally, which is why it doesn't fill the screen.

What is happening is that the image is being sent from the PC to the TV as if it were 4:3-hence the black bars on all four side. This is a letterboxed image, not a widescreen image-therefore there is nothing you can do to remove the black bars on the top/bottom using just the tv remote. It may be that the S-Video output on your card will only feed 4:3 resolutions (?)

- does your tv have a "zoom" mode - that's what one uses to get rid of the bars on letterboxed (as opposed to widescreen) dvds. Sure the picture is poor because you're losing resolution, but using S-Video you'll have to take what you can get.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your input, rockytt.

However, the issue lies somewhere in the video output as even my desktop doesn't fill the vertical resolution of the TV while in 4:3 mode.

At this point, I'm going to try a different PC with a different card and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Some TV-outputs have excessive overscan compensation - i.e. they reduce the size of the output video and surround it with black borders. If you don't get full vertical resolution - this could be because it is adding more overscan compensation than you need - as your display is not overscanning as much as expected...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has to be something along those lines, sneals. It's just that the same results were with 3 different LCDs. I tried a different PC and was able to get it to fill the screen with a lot of overscan. However, the only resolution that looked good was 800x600. 1024 had waaaay too much overscan and 640 produced an underscaned image. Still, no matter what I did, widescreen movies would not play correctly.

I don't have time to keep playing with this. What sucks is all I wanted was to feed DVDs to the bedrooms so we could pick movies while in bed. A streamer costs way too much money for DVD viewing only and the new WD device, while great in price, to me is useless without a network connection. I guess I'll have to scan ebay for a used D-Link DSM or something along those lines.

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help out

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
In CCC monitor properties there is a screen where you can adjust (move the picture to center and or expand it). That shoulld get rid of the empty space at the bottom.

In CCC make sure that the underscan is set to 0 it is 5% by default. I think the vertical "squeezing" is caused by your TV settings. Depending on the TV ther will be many options 4

BB

BB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts