AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to disable the SVM on the h81 series tosh's? On the previous models there was a single board in the middle of the set that had jumpers to each gun. Now, the single board is gone and each gun has 2 boards attached to it.

I think I disabled it, but I was wondering if anyone was sure on which wires to disconnect.

I found a set of wires on each gun that were orange and white. These wires went from one board to another. I disconnected them and it seemed to help SVM, but had no negative effect on anything else.

I'm still seeing some ringing on the AVIA test patterns. My sharpness is all the way off. It seems like everything has a shadow like appearance to the side of darker objects.

I hope that I disconnected the SVM and not something important. I've owned 2 previous models of the Tosh TW series, I was sure of the fixes on these, but haven't seen any info on the new ones.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The best and probably safest way to disable SVM on these sets is to the pull the plug on the power supply board.

It's a small, white, 4-connector, 3-wire plug with white and grey wires, almost in the middle of the board. It's the only plug like it, so it's not easy to miss.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to be obtuse but...what is SVM and why do I need to disable it?

I just got a 57H81 and I am still learning the ropes. All I have done so far is crank contrast down to 50.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Scan Velocity Modulation. Its an electronic trick that comes into effect as the gun sweeps across each scan line. It emphasizes transitions from dark to light, giving them a kind of 'edge' that some folks feel gives a more detailed image but its really very artificial.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The Charmed Quark Controller
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to a posting on Theaterspot, the SVM wires are yellow and white, and can be unplugged from each CRT board fairly easily. I have a 57H81, and have verified the wire setup, although I haven't unplugged them yet.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
One item that the post above leaves out is the 40,000 volts going to the CRTs, which can kill you. This is very irresponsible. I no longer detach SVM in Toshibas because it is disabled in the "theater" or "movie" mode. I forget which name at the moment. I also looked at the instructions on the link. It say to turn off the TV. Turning a set off does not kill power! It must be unplugged. Even after unplugging there is power stored in the TV which could take up to one hour (I've been told) to totally dissipate.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi ya folks,

The terms of use at the site addresses strong cautionary warnings against working on any tv. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Let's not cast aspersions, shall we?

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I really must take some pictures of the power supply board, pointing out where this connector is. Really though, it is THE best and THE safest method. I can't understand why anyone would want to mess around with the neck of their CRTs.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.