Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm seeing seeing a ringing effect around vertical white to black transitions when I used the VE test DVD. It appears as multiple vertical lines around vertical white to black transitions. Am I seeing the effects of SVM?

It's not clear to me how much effect this will have on a typical picture - it looks bad on the test patterns, but a typical movie does not have many transitions that are this sharp.

Equipment: 56H80, Toshiba 6200

Settings: Sharpness=0;Brightness=50;Contrast=50

9 point convergence set

------------------

wayne-o

[This message has been edited by wayne-o (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
To be blunt and to the point: SVM SUCKS!

It can make a stunning HD source look cartoonish and NTSC-like. It looks exactly as Wayne-o described. I would never consider purchasing a monitor or RPTV with SVM unless it could be defeated. Fortunately, my SAMPO allows me to do this by using the RGB input. This is another example of a technology provided by engineers/marketing people -- not because it is needed but because they could.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
wayne-o,

Last summer, after buying my Philips HDTV, I spent some time investigating what I assumed was SVM defects on my screen. The defects looked identical to those pictured on the keohi site mentioned above, and even appeared faintly in the Avia band that tests for the problem. Then I discovered my set doesn't have any SVM.

It appears I was seeing edge enhancement, most often by networks during sports broadcasts. Near the end of this thread are some photographic examples of edge enhancement (as links) and an explanation of what it is by engineer Lee Wood. Recently I was surprised to read in the DVD forum about folks also having edge enhancement problems with some DVDs. All this isn't to say you're not having SVM problems, which was nicely outlined by Chuck Williams here , but it might be, from my experiences, a combination of factors. I should add I haven't seen any such problems with HDTV programming. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 04-20-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.