AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room that is about 4,680 cubic ft. in size and believe the PB2-ISD will be enough power but am drawn toward the PB2-Plus ("my precious"). It must be because of the great reviews I have read and my fear of not getting the most sub that I can. I know it is easy to get caught up in "buying more than you really need" so I am not sure what to do.

I like action movies and play it loud on occasion but don't want the basement theater shaking the whole house either (at least not when I am not down there). For the most part we keep it at a reasonable volume since there are always others to consider that are not watching the movie. I suspect that with the PB2-Plus I would be setting the volume at 2 or 3 and not 7 or 8 if you know what I mean.

I imagine most of you with new subs have recently gone through this. Other than power, is there that big of difference between the two to warrant the added expense. Financially I could swing either one but I also don't want to spend money foolishly when there are so many other things I can upgrade. I want to get a little more sub than I ever will need so I don't have to upgrade in a couple of years. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. I have already talked to SVS. I am just looking for your thoughts too. I want to get this ordered asap since I know I will have to wait to get it anyways.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The question you have to ask yourself is this... is it worth $300 to KNOW you got the most for your money?

For me, when it comes to my home theater, I've learned the answer is "Yes". Having said that though, I'd do exactly what the guys at SVS told me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Quote:
You sure that's ft^2 and not ft^3? 3,800 ft^2 would be one heck of a large HT room!
I would have guess it cubic ft, heck if it is 3,800 ft^2 his HT is bigger than my house! (3,100 SF)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Bigger is better! That's not such a small room. I'm of the opinion that you really can't have "too much" sub. After calibration, even an "overkill" unit will be tamed, but you'll have the headroom to really drive home the impact when it's called for. Good subs with low extension like SVS are not really even heard when pulling the low-low stuff - mostly felt, and that's where extra power is needed IMO.

Have fun with whichever you get!

Gordon

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right, its cubic foot and should be about 4,680 cubic ft. Thanks for the help. Anyone have the smaller sub and think its plenty big enough for a similar size room?

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Troy,

My dedicated HT is over 4,000 cubic ft too. The guys over at SVS recommended dual ultra's or dual 20-39PC+'s and since i was on a budget i went for one PC+ then added another 20-39PC+ later. This of course was due to my listing habits YMMV. One 20-39PC+ does a great job in my HT, but two really takes me there! They are incredible performers music/HT wise.

3C is right give SVS a holler and they will give you the best fit based on your info.

·
Registered
367 Posts
FWIW, in the original post he says he has already talked to SVS about this. They probably said he would be OK with the PB2-ISD but like the rest of us he wants a little more just to be sure. Am I right, Troy? ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you are dead on. SVS was helpful but I keep going back and forth on the decision since it seems that all of the subs I am considering will work. the fact that I will have to wait for it anyways doesn't help either. They did say something along the lines of:

"These subs will perform in very similar ways. The PC+ will tend to go a bit deeper, the PB2-ISD will tend to have more volume or headroom capacity, but these are gray areas that will be largely dependent on your room size, if it?s open or close, and your playback habits (that is, do you like it loud and powerful as in a theater)? Two woofers (even if the less capable ISD woofers in comparison to the Plus) will usually trump a single. But you have cost, floor space, weight and form factor (looks) that might weigh in here. Ultimately you might find even a PC+ to be more than enough subwoofer, most do, and rightly so for all but the very largest rooms.

Either sub will require some patience on your part. Component flow is just catching up from a staggering holiday period. I?d expect either sub to ship during the first week of February."

(different e-mail)

"Given you do have high school age kids (me too), and your stated preferences and largish room (the sub ?sees? all that space of course)? then the PB2-ISD is your sub for sure. It?s nearly indestructible, both in performance and finish, and as you noted, if you determine you don?t need all its tremendous headroom you can always drop in one port plug, flip to the interactive 20Hz tuning position and marvel in even deeper bass. I?d encourage you to start with the most efficient 25Hz ?all port open? tuning config for calibration and go from there."

(end)

Now I am considering the PC-ultra. Although it doesn't have the biggest amp, which I may not need anyways, it has the better driver. I am just not sure I would be able to tell the difference between it and a less expensive driver. Also, would two lesser drivers actually be better than one better one? Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well you have a pretty big room and I know the younger ones are gonna love to push that thing when they see what it can do, you will too. PB2+ all the way. After getting a PC+ and bottoming it in a 3000^3ft room, I was going to upgrade to the PB2-ISD, which would give me a little more headroom in stock tune. I ordered it, and mulled my decision for a couple days before I changed my order to a PB2+ because I wanted the assurance it could handle my room and listening volumes, I don't regret it one bit. $300 is not petty cash, but it's kinda like your up at $1000, might as well push to $1300 for complete peace of mind. I don't think the driver sound quality should differ that much to the average user, and SVS says the PCU is comparable to the PB2-ISD in output, so then it becomes asthetics in that decision. Good luck choosing, it's tough.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tuskenraider, I think that is the safest choice. I hate spending more than I need but I like to get something a little better than I need as well so I won't be buying again in a year. I would expect this sub to last me a very long time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My HT is 3300 cu ft. PC+ was good in 25Hz tune on everything at -12dB except matrix reloaded...

My PB2+ is good too...I don't know how far it will go but, I put it in 20 Hz tune and can play everything at any level I want, and that is with EQ taking out the peaks where it is effecient (but inaccurate) due to room interactions.

So the sub is absolutely amazing...going all the way to 20Hz in a 3300 cu ft room with two openings and a fair amount of eq, at -10 dB with everything I have tried (I can't stand any louder).

My PC+ at 25 Hz to the PB2+ at 20 Hz went from wow that is one of the best subs I have ever heard to...the whole house is shaking, my pants are flapping holy $hit! All that while sounding great integrated into my multichannel hirez music experiance as well.

If you have the space, a PB2+ at $1200 has to be the best thing going.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a similar sized room to yours and went with a single 25-31 PC+ (mainly due to placement issues). I was amazed at how well it filled this room. It never bottomed even when I was getting pretty crazy with it. Then I completely lucked out and scored a used one to go along with it. I think the volume control on both of them is set to like 1.5 or something. It's WAY more sub than I need.

I can't imagine a PB2-ISD disappointing you but, anything worth doing is worth over doing in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hey Dammit!,

I see you are running duals, so am i. Do you have them co-located or seperated?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Co-located. I haven't even tried seperating them. Don't really have anywhere else to put the other one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shaking the whole house is lots of fun but I don't want to spend more than I should just to do that a couple times to scare my wife and friends. Would it be wise to get a sub as powerful as the PB2+ or will I end up never using half of what it offers. I would think that a sub that is 2/3 the way up and as loud as you would ever want it (assuming it has the other features that the SVS subs are known for) without bottoming out is the sub I would need or is the impact of the bass significantly better with the PB2+ even at the same volume as a cheaper SVS sub because there are two drivers? Its easy to get caught up in the PB2+ club and want to be a member knowing you will never be wanting for bass but would the PB2-IBD or the 20-39 PC+ do just as well and be a little more practical and less expensive? Has anyone else gotten one of these subs for a similar size room (4680 cu ft)and regretted it? I am not sure I want my kids cranking it up when I am not home and shaking the whole house. I also have 8 Aura Pro Bass Shakers that I have partially installed and I don't really need to shake my pants leggs with the sub but I probably would enjoy a good low frequency punch now and then. I guess my current sub is so lacking that I don't really know if going crazy over bass is going to improve my theater that much or not. At $1300 plus with everything included, this will be one of the more expensive purchases I have made for my modest FP home theater, well at least for any single item other than my projector. I have built it on the objective of "just staying a step above average but never lacking" so everything does what it needs to do but is not the best of the best. When the improvements are less noticeable but the price keeps going up I draw the line. I sincerely appreciate all your input. I realize that its a personal decision with many right answers. I am definitely going to bite the bullet and get it ordered soon because I know it will be several weeks before it arrives anyways i want to enjoy it soon. It was suppose to be my Christmas present but I got side tracked with the shakers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, if I remember right, dual 25-31 PC+ subs have a very slight edge in output over a PB2+. I have a roughly 4500 cubic foot room with muliple openings and the dual 25-31's are having absolutely no problems whatsoever in this room. I'm barely having to push them at all. One filled the room quite comfortably at the default tuning and I probably would not have gotten a second one if it hadn't fallen in my lap.

After reading everything you're saying, I'm pretty confident a PB2-ISD will completely satisfy you, as would a single PC+ cylinder model for that matter. The PB2-ISD should have an edge over a single cylinder model though.

Bass can be kind of an addiction in that some people always want more. You don't really strike me as being that type so I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, SVS does have a return policy so if you find whatever you get to be lacking, you'd just be out return shipping if you wanted to upgrade.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice on the 25-31 and PB2-ISD. I guess I could always get one, and if that didn't cut it or I developed a stronger "taste for bass", then get a second one down the road.

If I returned a sub I would be out shipping both ways, which would be a couple hundred dollars, would it not?

I have got to decide this weekend and get on with it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.