AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 20-39CS SVS Sub, with the intention of purchasing the second in the near future. MY theater room is approximately 14'x19'x8'.

My question is which amp would work best driving two SVS subs cost compared to performance)?

Samson S700

Samson S1000

Crown K1

Carvin DMC1000

Carvin DMC2000

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Being as you would get the S700 for about $350 if you purchased it with a single 20-39cs(and about $300 with dual 20-39s)...AND get a very nice bettercables interconnect with the amp...that might be the best cost/performance ratio.

TV

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with TV. I have dual 20-39CS's with the Samson S700 and for the price and performance it can't be beat, IMHO. Unless you already have an amp available to drive the subs, this combo is awesome. My room is about 15' x 30' x 10' and the bass shakes the whole house, including parts of the neighborhood. Just call SVS and put in your order you won't regret it.

Pride9

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Of course the K1 is more efficient and has no fan. The Samson is a deal, but realize why the K1 can be worth a little more. The efficiency can be of value in reducing the chance of popping breakers too. I think TV will agree it is a great amp as well.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Not to muddle up the posters thoughts:)

but how about 1 cs-ultra,

i`m just thinking with a room 14x19,it might be a bit tight,

TV,1 cs-ultra vs. 2 20-39cs,any thoughts.

ts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I went with the single CSU/S1000 on the theory that it would give me something to play with while saving up for the second CSUltra.

Also, If I needed to go further down in freq I could always block one of the ports and with (eventually) a pair of them would still have the ability to scoot the picture frames around!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I picked up a couple of the 39s and the s700 a few months back. I also dl'd a couple of bass test mp3s. Anyone who has heard this has said it is the most unbelievable sounding bass they have ever heard. I love this setup.

-maynard

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, one "Ultra" instead of two "20-39cs's". Does anyone know if how would one Ultra stand up to two 20 -39's?

I understand that the crown($1100) is a very efficient amp, but I have heard that the carvin($300) is very efficient also.

Any comments?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Static Wick
Interesting, one "Ultra" instead of two "20-39cs's". Does anyone know if how would one Ultra stand up to two 20 - 39cs

Any comments?

thanks i thought so:)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Static Wick
Interesting, one "Ultra" instead of two "20-39cs's". Does anyone know if how would one Ultra stand up to two 20 - 39cs

Any comments?

thanks i thought so:p

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
1 ultra vs. 2 20-39cs anyone,

12x19 room:)

ts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
In terms of clean output capability, the single CS_U/S1000 combo would be roughly equal to twin 20-39s/S700 in the 16-32hz range. >32hz, and the twin 39s would have a bit of an edge..maybe 2-3dBs.

In terms of sheer SPLs with no regard to distortion issues...the twin 20-39s would gain about 2-3dB across the board compared to the above scenario.(so the 39s would be about 3dB ahead in the first octave and about 5dB ahead >32hz(ish).

Extension: Both would extend to the 16-19hz range in your room.

If there's little chance of adding a second CS_U in the future...I'd go with the twin 20-39s/S700.

TV

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
care to weigh in on the question of 2 20-39 vs single CSUltra in mercury's scenario.

I've always had great response e-mailing SVS directly with questions. If you really want to know just send them a question. Or wait, and one may notice the thread again.

I went with the CSU because I knew I would end up with a pair. For me it was not between a single CSU or dual 20-39's. I am space constrained in the 2500 Cu. Ft. room at the moment. The new room will be approx 4000 Cu. Ft.

EDIT - TV we posted at the same time - thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, sorry for the delayed response, spent the better part of the last several days in SVS *board meetings*...it's all good though...:)

TV

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the info, it is all very interesting. My front speakers are fairly good size. I have NHT vt2.4's up front , so space is a concern. Is there minimum distance between sub and mains?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
No, no minimum distance rules really. But the performance of the subwoofer will be dependent on it's placement in the room to a large degree.

TV

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard that normally best performance is obtained when the sub is placed in one of the fwd corners. Is this normally the case?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Corners will excite the maximum number of room modes. This almost always leads to the flattest response over a VARIETY of listening positions. Corner loading also maximizes boundary reinforcement effects which lead to lower distortion produced by the subwoofer at a given output level.

I don't think front corners have any important advantages over a rear corner...I'd definitely try the corner nearest the key seating too.

TV

·
Registered
904 Posts
TV,

I have read or been told many times that subwoofer corner placement is good for getting the most SPL from a given sub, but that it sacrifices much of its accuracy. I'm not trying to be combative, I've read many of your posts and you certainly seem to be a respected expert in this area. Could you help explain this?

thanks,

jake

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
As TV have used the term VARIETY of listening positions. It does not mean it will have a flat response for any listener, but it will prevent that unlucky seat from having massive nulls and peaks.

But if you have your listeners along the horizontal axis (e.g. on a sofa,) you would not have to worry much different positions in respect to the front-back distance. In this case, placing the sub at different position along the length of the room migh give a better response.

If you have a mini-theater that has seats all over the place, then an easy bet is the corner. But with careful placements, you will likely find a better position for most, if not all the listeners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.