AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6306 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has gotten discussed before or where, but couldn't find a thread about it... So I thought I would start some discussion...
http://www.svsound.com/CES2007/SVS_AudyessyRelease.pdf



Any thoughts, said to handle up to 2 subs, coupled with Audyessy engineering..

I know it wasn't been released yet, but thought maybe someone in the know would have a bit more info on it or thoughts...

Is there anything else out there that will compete with it, with ease of setup troubles.


thanks


Warp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Velodyne SMS-1 currently available and handles 3 subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Yes, let's get a compare and contrast, b/c the Velo is cheaper and available now.


When is the SVS unit planned for and how does it improve on the Velo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts
I think the SVS unit will be out before summer.


The main difference is Audessey's technology. Whereas the SMS-1 unit optomizes bass for one position, the SVS unit uses logic to simultaneously optomize the bass for up to 8 locations.


Now not all 8 locations will be EQ'd flat, some tradeoffs will need to be made, but the logic creates a best scenario for those locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0


I think the SVS unit will be out before summer.


The main difference is Audessey's technology. Whereas the SMS-1 unit optomizes bass for one position, the SVS unit uses logic to simultaneously optomize the bass for up to 8 locations.


Now not all 8 locations will be EQ'd flat, some tradeoffs will need to be made, but the logic creates a best scenario for those locations.

This is correct. Even though the SMS-1 has 3 ouputs, they are all summed together. It does one eq for the room.


The SVS can take into account 2 subs in 2 different locations and send each one an optimized curve.


-Eli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
It can also time correct the two subs independently
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Also the SVS unit appears to enable additional functionality via connectivity to a PC via the USB port (hmm, custom crossovers etc?).

You can also better customize the settings on the SMS-1 using PC software like the free Room EQ Wizard software. Hopefully, SVS will work with the author of that program to ensure that it is compatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts
If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here . It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.


It is different than the SMS-1, but I don't know if it is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/0


If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here . It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and HK AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.


It is different than the SMS-1, but I don't know if it is better.

I am not sure about the current version of the upcoming offering, but I definitely see the possibility of more potential with the Audessey unit. I am guessing the Audessey will be more upgradable and customizable in the long term via firmware/software updates and changes. It certainly seems like the muc more sophisticated of the two. But, I have been wrong before...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
any idea about a rumble filter on the SVS? I have an SMS1 I am going to sell because it limits my subs (DIY) ability in the 10-5Hz range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0


I think the SVS unit will be out before summer.


The main difference is Audessey's technology. Whereas the SMS-1 unit optomizes bass for one position, the SVS unit uses logic to simultaneously optomize the bass for up to 8 locations.


Now not all 8 locations will be EQ'd flat, some tradeoffs will need to be made, but the logic creates a best scenario for those locations.

That is a significant feature and it will be interesting to see how well it tradeoffs equalization over several seats. A big negative though is it lacks the display feature of the SMS which is essential for fine tuning and manual tweaking. I put away a Behringer DEQ2496 which arguably had more sophisticated features but couldn't compete with the Velo's ease of use. I'm looking forward to a side by side review between the SMS and the Audessey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies /forum/post/0


any idea about a rumble filter on the SVS? I have an SMS1 I am going to sell because it limits my subs (DIY) ability in the 10-5Hz range.

I believe Velo has the firmware upgrade you can download. It let's the Velo EQ down to 5hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeman /forum/post/0


That is a significant feature and it will be interesting to see how well it tradeoffs equalization over several seats. A big negative though is it lacks the display feature of the SMS which is essential for fine tuning and manual tweaking. I put away a Behringer DEQ2496 which arguably had more sophisticated features but couldn't compete with the Velo's ease of use. I'm looking forward to a side by side review between the SMS and the Audessey.

Yes...a comparison of the end result will be interesting. Ease of use I think will be a key feature.


One thing though, the street price of the SMS-1, and the direct price of the SVS/Audessey unit will be fairly different.....but to some, chump change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies /forum/post/0


any idea about a rumble filter on the SVS? I have an SMS1 I am going to sell because it limits my subs (DIY) ability in the 10-5Hz range.

Did you mean 10-15Hz? What subs do you have that go that low with any useable output? Whoops, I just saw they were DIY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 /forum/post/0


I am curious about the cost...has it been mentioned anywhere?

It is mentioned in the PDF file in the first post. It is expected to be $750
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
I have the current software for my SMS that allows the rumble filter to be set at 5Hz. However it's still down 30dB. 25dB at 10Hz. Not sure why they released it like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies /forum/post/0


I have the current software for my SMS that allows the rumble filter to be set at 5Hz. However it's still down 30dB. 25dB at 10Hz. Not sure why they released it like that.

Who wants to pick the code apart?


-Eli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/0


If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here . It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and HK AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.


It is different than the SMS-1, but I don't know if it is better.

I think you are confusing XT with Pro. The latter is only available to professional installers. The XT is used in Denon, NAD and, perhaps, other components but, afaik, no Audyssey in HK.
 
1 - 20 of 6306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top