AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on this is it still a good eq for subs with whats out there now?
One let down I see is there isn't a house curve that can be implemented. Is there any work around?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Do you currently own the unit? If not, I'd suggest you get a Minidsp 2x4 HD:)

Reactions: darthray and Sorny

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you currently own the unit? If not, I'd suggest you get a Minidsp 2x4 HD/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Yes I do out of setup currently. I believe there strengh was dual setup.
Not sure if this version of Audyssey was regarded as good for subs?
I will have to buy new cable to trial again.
I have dual subs currently.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
One let down I see is there isn't a house curve that can be implemented. Is there any work around?

Thanks in advance
Do you currently own the unit? If not, I'd suggest you get a Minidsp 2x4 HD:)
The AS-EQ1 has the same filter resolution as MultEQ XT32, which had not been released yet at the time of the AS-EQ1 launch.

If you have an AVR with XT32, that would basically supplant the AS-EQ1.

If your AVR doesn't EQ the sub channel (and there are still plenty that don't) - then it would be worth keeping, provided it's working normally and still supported by the current version of Windows on your laptop.

The original AS-EQ1 directions are a bit convoluted - and we have shorter and more direct guidance which works equally well:

• Connect the AS-EQ1 to the subs.
  • Run set-up including the subwoofer level match step - but skip the satellite level match step.
  • Ignore the subwoofer distance recommendation at the end.
  • Save the results and disconnect the laptop.
  • Then connect the AS-EQ1 to your AVR and run auto-set-up in your AVR.
Your AVR will do final distance (which includes the AS-EQ1 latency) and level matching.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Thanks in advance
Do you currently own the unit? If not, I'd suggest you get a Minidsp 2x4 HD/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
The AS-EQ1 has the same filter resolution as MultEQ XT32, which had not been released yet at the time of the AS-EQ1 launch.

If you have an AVR with XT32, that would basically supplant the AS-EQ1.

If your AVR doesn't EQ the sub channel (and there are still plenty that don't) - then it would be worth keeping, provided it's working normally and still supported by the current version of Windows on your laptop.

The original AS-EQ1 directions are a bit convoluted - and we have shorter and more direct guidance which works equally well:

• Connect the AS-EQ1 to the subs.
  • Run set-up including the subwoofer level match step - but skip the satellite level match step.
  • Ignore the subwoofer distance recommendation at the end.
  • Save the results and disconnect the laptop.
  • Then connect the AS-EQ1 to your AVR and run auto-set-up in your AVR.
Your AVR will do final distance (which includes the AS-EQ1 latency) and level matching.
Hi Ed thanks for your reply.

I have a old XP laptop not very powerful at all would this be OK to use? Other laptop blew up, yep went bang.

Can you send me the link to the software please?
Was there a update from original.
Is Audyssey current version the same as the SVS as-eq1?

I don't need to connect the aseq1 to the receiver for calibration?

My receiver is a Yamaha Z9.
Subs, Velodyne Digital Drives 15 & 12.
They are located, DD15 inside left speaker and DD12 diagonally behind couch.
Will the Aseq1 be better than the Digital drive eq?

Thanks for your reply appreciated.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

I have a old XP laptop not very powerful at all would this be OK to use? Other laptop blew up, yep went bang.

The XP laptop should be fine.

Go to our document library under Accessories and you'll find the AS-EQ1 with several links including firmware updates.

MultEQ XT32 has the same filter resolution as the AS-EQ1. Lesser versions of Audyssey have lower filter resolution.

Follow the steps I provided earlier - you connect the AVR to the AS-EQ1 after you are done with the AS-EQ1 set-up. Then run the AVR set-up.

I couldn't know if the Digital Drive will provide better results than the AS-EQ1 - that would need to be determined empirically using REW or similar software.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

The XP laptop should be fine.

Go to our document library under Accessories and you'll find the AS-EQ1 with several links including firmware updates.

MultEQ XT32 has the same filter resolution as the AS-EQ1. Lesser versions of Audyssey have lower filter resolution.

Follow the steps I provided earlier - you connect the AVR to the AS-EQ1 after you are done with the AS-EQ1 set-up. Then run the AVR set-up.

I couldn't know if the Digital Drive will provide better results than the AS-EQ1 - that would need to be determined empirically using REW or similar software.
Thanks Ed.
Can I download the update firmware onto a flash drive and update offline. I will load onto the computer which is not connected to the Internet?

With the firmware do I have uninstall the old firmware before in install the new firmware?

How many measurements is recommended, seems to be different thoughts on this. Some say 8 per seat?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Thanks Ed.
Can I download the update firmware onto a flash drive and update offline. I will load onto the computer which is not connected to the Internet?

With the firmware do I have uninstall the old firmware before in install the new firmware?

How many measurements is recommended, seems to be different thoughts on this. Some say 8 per seat?

Thank you
The documents found in the link I provided have instructions on how to perform the firmware update.

The laptop does not need to be connected to the internet to run the firmware update from a flash drive or to run the AS-EQ1 program.

Opinions on measurements vary widely - my personal recommendation is one measurement at head level at each commonly used listening position and then an additional measurement at the primary listening position (i.e., sweet spot) where you sit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts