AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of CS Ultras in my HT. I have one of the ports plugged. I am courious as to how others with Ultras have theirs configured. I think it's interesting that the manual that comes with the sub dosen't explain the use of the plugs. I called SVS to find out how to use them. I'll appreciate any thought others have. They really sound good by the way. Thanks

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have one port plugged on my PC-Ultra. I find that with both ports plugged, total output is too diminished for me. But the one plug gives me a little more extension, without affecting total ouput enough to bother me. Also with only one port open (two ports plugged), you can have issues with not enough port area and resultant chuffing.

No plugs gives you 20Hz tune, one plug gives 16Hz, two plugs gives 12Hz tune. At least with the PC line you need to adjust the subsonic filter to suit the plugs you are using, to avoid possibility of damage.

http://svsubwoofers.com/manuals/Ultraportplug.pdf

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My 16-46 PC+ manual has plenty info on port plugging, subsonic filter, etc.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
NetThomas,

I had two CS Ultras. As others have mentioned you will get more spl with all the ports open (20 Hz tune) but the subs won't go down as deep (the comprimise / tradeoff). I use mine in the 16 Hz tune (one port plugged). I found the sound much more refined even at levels above 20 Hz. To "correct" the spl loss, I got two more CS ultras - also using the 16 Hz tune. You will need a subsonic filter cut off for the tune frequency otherwise you could cause the sub to be more easily over driven by it trying to handle freq / driver movement it can't really get any benefit from. The Marchand Interface box from SVS is such filter and other things. There are three tune positions if I remember correctly 25, 20 and 16 Hz. However, I no longer use the SVS interface box. Why? It uses unbalanced connections. The Behringer FeedBack Destroyer (used as EQ), my prepro and power amps all use balanced connections. I didn't like using the converter cables and losing out on the balanced connections. So I ended up buying a Symetrix 551E Parametric EQ to replace the BFD and SVS interface box because the 551E has an adjustable low shelf filter. All is good now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.