AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a sub that will not kill my WAF. What do you guys think of the SVS Cylinder Subwoofers?

Left wall: 11.5 feet long

Rear wall: 9 feet long

Front wall: 19 feet long

Back wall: 9 feet (then opens into the kitchen)

Ceiling: 8 feet

The TV area is all to the left side of the room. I only care about the sound filling the left 12 feet. The room then opens into a fireplace area and Kitchen on the right. The sub will be place in the front left corner.

Would you guys recommend the SVS Cylinder Subwoofers? Also, which one do you think I would need for the room my size? The PC12-NSD, PC12-Plus or PC13-Ultra?

I am thinking about going with these speakers:

InWall Bronze/4 LCR

InWall Bronze/4 LCR

InWall Bronze/4 LCR

InWall Bronze/4 Surround

InWall Bronze/4 Surround
And a Denon AVR1910.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i personally think cylinders look cool, but imo, the box version would probably have a higher waf... they DO look a bit like a black water heater sitting in your room...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wife seems to like the cylinders better. A lot of the box subs are as big (or bigger) than the table it would be next too. Also, I think it would be easier to put a plant or something in front of it.

I think the only way she would be happy with a box is if I could match the furniture.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ /forum/post/17043494

Wife seems to like the cylinders better.

ah, you left that part out of the original post...

i can't directly comment on the subs in question, as i haven't owned them, but from all reports, the cylinders performance is essentially the same as their equivalent box version... i know that's not real helpful...

i will say that there are many people here who swear by svs subs... some of them are irrational fanboys (as with any product)... however, there are many who are not, and anecdotal evidence would suggest that svs makes a really good product at a very attractive price... that's always a good sign...

there are several very capable subs with furniture grade finishes out there, but they do come with a price premium...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I've had the 20-39 in the past which is a previous model Cylinder sub. Excellent sub and as said above the cylinder models are essentially the same performance wise as the equivalent box models. If the form factor fits your preference and criteria best then I would recommend them.

Some benefits are, they are easier to move around and get placed, take up less floor space-which can sometimes give more placement options, pricing and shipping charges are a little less and are a definite conversation piece..whether that's good or bad. On the other side when you get into the plus series you have more finish options with the box versions...at a higher price of course. I will add that the cylinders form factor can be a love or hate relationship to some, they look big and black regardless of the smaller footprint....the black water heater gets referred to many times but I personally like the look.

You're statement of "I only care about the sound filling the left 12 feet" doesn't work with subwoofers. Subs don't know boundaries if the aren't physically present so essentially it's going to be trying to fill the entire space that is open to it...no way around it. There are things with placement you do do to help that situation but for all general purposes that holds true so take it in consideration.

As far as which model to get that's an easy question. The biggest one your budget permits. You'll wind up better off and with more money left in your pocket in the future by going with the most capable sub possible now, trying to save a buck can and in most every case will leave you wanting more at some point in the future so get it now and get it over with. If your budget permits the PB or PC13-Ultra then go for it. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17043484

i personally think cylinders look cool, but imo, the box version would probably have a higher waf... they DO look a bit like a black water heater sitting in your room...

I agree. What your wife says now and when the sub is actually in the room may change.....and when and if it does, you know who often wins that fight

Anyways, here is a pic of my old set-up when I had my Velodyne sub comfortably squeezed under my end table. It may be worth upgrading to an end table that can fit a sub, or taking the max measurement of what your table can hold. One big tip is that positioning is everything. If you don't want to get a massive sub, placement can yield a lot better room results. When I have this sub placed in the corner (as it is now), I swear that it has 50% more room gain in comparison to when I have it at the other end of the sofa. If you had your eyes closed it would probably be like comparing a sissy Bose Bass modulator to a 12" SVS....just based on positioning.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Call SVS and they will help you determine which model you will need to do justice to your room. Of course, if you can swing it without any pain, the PC-13 Ultra will hold you for a long time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheader /forum/post/17043978

Hey BankZ, I have to of the PC-Ultra cylinders and I really like them. They are great performers with a small footprint.

Did you put it behind something? Or just leave it out? The sub is what I am having the hardest time with WAF.

We *may* be buying a new end table in a year or two where a box sub could sit. right now I have an open corner that I can fit anything in but I am really worried about looks. I'm installing InWall Cabinets and InWall Speakers. I looked at InWall subs but they seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I love my PC-13Ultra... though it is definitely not a small sub. Probably easier to hide/blend in than the PB, though.

My wife probably would not have approved of the sub had it gone into our living room permanently instead of being hidden behind an AT screen wall in a dedicated theater room. The look on her face was priceless when she came home to see it for the first time.

The PC-13 Ultra is approximately 46" tall and 16" in diameter. I went with the cylinder do to limited depth behind my screen (18")... there were very few good sub options that were under 18" for a foot print.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
the cylinders are fairly limited in placement to some extent in that you can't put them under a window sill (unless you have very high windows !!) - which can really reduce placement options depending on your room-layout

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You can put cylinders on their sides if you want, however (think; behind a couch, under a long coffee table/side board, or under the screen behind an acoustically transparent panel).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.