AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to this thread and have been looking at building a home theater for my basement living space.

I have a room that is approx. 350 sq. ft that opens up into a hallway / stairwell. It is a concrete floor with carpeting over it

I have been researching and auditioning many different makes and models of home theater speakers for about a year.

I am not looking for anything super large, since we use the room for entertaining guests as well.

My listening preference seems to lean more toward B&W, my budget allows me to invest in their 600 series, primarily either the 683 towers or the 686 bookshelf. I have been looking at this possible configuration for while.

I have not yet auditioned the SVS SBS-01, but based on research, it seems like a popular choice.

I am wondering, if anyone can provide me with a comparison of the SBS vs B&W 600 series, and what would be the better choice. Though I do have the budget for B&W, saving money to put toward a better receiver is enticing,

Thank you for your input

Jim

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hrmmm I'm pretty sure comparing the B&W 600 series and the SVS S series isn't really fair. Now the SVS M series you might find to be much more of a comparison. I do love my SVS S Series. FWIW

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhall5150 /forum/post/18241048

Hello All,

I am new to this thread and have been looking at building a home theater for my basement living space.

I have a room that is approx. 350 sq. ft that opens up into a hallway / stairwell. It is a concrete floor with carpeting over it

I have been researching and auditioning many different makes and models of home theater speakers for about a year.

I am not looking for anything super large, since we use the room for entertaining guests as well.

My listening preference seems to lean more toward B&W, my budget allows me to invest in their 600 series, primarily either the 683 towers or the 686 bookshelf. I have been looking at this possible configuration for while.

I have not yet auditioned the SVS SBS-01, but based on research, it seems like a popular choice.

I am wondering, if anyone can provide me with a comparison of the SBS vs B&W 600 series, and what would be the better choice. Though I do have the budget for B&W, saving money to put toward a better receiver is enticing,

Thank you for your input

Jim

B&w is a nobrainer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'd use the money for better bookshelf/monitor style speakers and sub vs. receiver upgrade or floorstanding L/R speakers.

For instance, B&W CM5 is *around* the same price as the 683 and is a significant step up in quality, also has a much better matching center.

If you do go with the 600 series I would recommend 685s over 686s for fronts.

Speakers that I think are strongly worth comparing to B&W are Dali (Mentor or Ikon, I can never remember..) and ERA D5s.

This assumes that you like the B&W sound for music, if that's the case I don't blame you, I'm a fan myself.

For a more HT oriented system I would recommend listening to Monitor Audio RX1 or PSBs Image line - these are both also good with music, but probably excel a bit more with HT than the others.

I haven't heard the SVS so can't help there.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts