AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With tax refunds coming it's time for an upgrade.

Since I can't do everything I'd like, choices must be made. I'll have about $600 to play with, so would you...

Get my 46" Sony RPTV ISF callibrated-

or

Upgrade my Energy Take 5.2 speaker system with the 8" Energy Sub to an SVS 25-31 PCi-

Which do you think would make the better upgrade?

Is ISF or SVS more important to the home theater experience. Understand I'll probably do the other choice down the road, but which would make the biggest wow. Bear in mind I'll have to justify this expense to the wife- so which upgrade will she notice more is also an important question.

I'm posting this in the RPTV forum too just to get the feelings from that group as well.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you have an Avia or other calibration disc? If not, you need one. If it were me I would get the SVS and spend some time with the calibration disc properly adjusting both your audio and video. It won't be ISF quality but will likely be better than what you have now.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Tuff Choice - add 300 and do both!

Since I discovered what a good cal can do, I'll never live without it again.

The same could be said about a nice punchy 12 inch sub.

Needful Things!

e

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used Avia- and calibrated everything outside the service menu.

thedeskE, yes both will be done eventually, but which should be done first?

thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClutchBrake
Do you have an Avia or other calibration disc? If not, you need one. If it were me I would get the SVS and spend some time with the calibration disc properly adjusting both your audio and video. It won't be ISF quality but will likely be better than what you have now.
Avia/VE are just band-aids. I'd spend the money on an ISF Calibration.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Both are worth doing but the sub would definitely be the most obvious improvement. ISF is more of a subtle improvement but the sub will make itself noticed right away.

Sub first, then ISF when you can but definitely do it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd probably go with the sub as well. I just had my my rptv isf calibrated by a professional and the difference is definitely subtle. My set needed some extensive geometry work (i'm a bad tweeker) and as a result the calibration took very long and was about $600.

I am much happier with my set now, but when guests come over who are unaware of the calibration none of them ever comment that the set looks good. They just watch it blind to the benefit of the calibration. It makes me wonder if its better or just different.

If someone showed me the before and after picture and then asked if i would pay $600 to have it done i would say "no". But now thats its done i'm glad and don't neccesarily regret it. Whether it's worth it is all in the eyes of each individual... but i think it would be hard to convince most wives it was worth it...

Get the sub...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.