AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a sub and am looking for some opinions. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the SVS SB1000, or the Sunfire SDS-12. I'm pretty much a n00b with audio stuff. There is tons of info and opinions out there on the SVS SB1000, and for the money/size/performance it seems to be what I'm looking for. I've not found too much about the Sunfire SDS-12 (at least not compared to the SVS) but it seems to be in a similar class to the SVS. I'm guessing that the Sunfire has potential for more output because of the dual drivers, and the SVS is maybe tighter?
They are at the same price, and similar size (the small size is a selling point for me), and similar powered amps, so what would be the benefits of a single driver vs dual driver if the overall wattage is the same?

It's going into a room that's 13x24, with 8ft ceilings, and on one end it has a 6x8 opening into a large room (24x35) with vaulted ceilings.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a sub and am looking for some opinions. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the SVS SB1000, or the Sunfire SDS-12. I'm pretty much a n00b with audio stuff. There is tons of info and opinions out there on the SVS SB1000, and for the money/size/performance it seems to be what I'm looking for. I've not found too much about the Sunfire SDS-12 (at least not compared to the SVS) but it seems to be in a similar class to the SVS. I'm guessing that the Sunfire has potential for more output because of the dual drivers, and the SVS is maybe tighter?
They are at the same price, and similar size (the small size is a selling point for me), and similar powered amps, so what would be the benefits of a single driver vs dual driver if the overall wattage is the same?

It's going into a room that's 13x24, with 8ft ceilings, and on one end it has a 6x8 opening into a large room (24x35) with vaulted ceilings.
That's a really big space. Is there a reason why you are looking at small sealed subs? A ported sub would work better in such a big space.

Of those 2, I'd go for the SVS. It will have more output below 30hz. Above that they will be similar in output. That and SVS has their 45 day trial period with shipping both ways and a 1 year trade up program and 5 year warranty.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Sunfire doesn't have dual drivers, it has one driver and a passive radiator. The Sunfire should have an output advantage at the tuning point of its PR, and the SVS will have more output below the tuning point of the Sunfire's PR its output below that point would be so negligible that it isn't likely to be audible except perhaps as distortion. Neither are going to bowl you over with tremendous output. I would lean toward the Subfire between the two, but neither is powerful enough to give you more than a mild bass sound in your room at best. I would encourage you to increase your budget and make room for a larger subwoofer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately for me both size and budget are limitations. The $500 for the sub is already stretching my budget past what the wife is happy with. My hope is that in another year or so I could purchase a second if I wanted more bass (who doesn't?)
I've got a passel of little ones running around so I'm not looking for anything earth shaking at the moment, just a good full complete sound. We will be listening to music mostly which is another reason I've been leaning toward a sealed box vs ported. I am getting a pair of klipsch rb 61 ii's, and was originally thinking of adding in the 12" klipsch sub, but heard that for marginally more $$ the SVS was worlds better. I had been completely sold on the SVS until a ran across a review of the sunfire which was pretty impressive, but I can't find much out there on it. I definitely appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Sunfire doesn't have dual drivers, it has one driver and a passive radiator. The Sunfire should have an output advantage at the tuning point of its PR, and the SVS will have more output below the tuning point of the Sunfire's PR its output below that point would be so negligible that it isn't likely to be audible except perhaps as distortion. Neither are going to bowl you over with tremendous output. I would lean toward the Subfire between the two, but neither is powerful enough to give you more than a mild bass sound in your room at best. I would encourage you to increase your budget and make room for a larger subwoofer.
the sunfire sds isnt nearly as powerful as the xteq12 (true subwoofer signature). If you want more bass than you know what to do with, get the xteq12 from sunfire. Just off hand, at its resonance freq the 2 12 inch woofers are moving from end to end about 3 inches. So max volume of air moved will be 3.14 x r^2 x height x 2 woofers. So 3.14 x 6^2 x 3 x 2 = about 600 cubic inches of air moved. Compared to an svs pb 16 ultra (8^2 x 3.14 x 2 = 400 cu. in. ) you get the picture. You can literally destroy your house with a sunfire xteq 12.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
4,000 Posts
You're 5.5 years to late.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

I would consider the Monoprice Monolith 10 inch ported THX Certified sub for $500 delivered. It is on sale for $449.99 for a limited time only. Make you get it
while it's on sale for $449.00. It's an absolute bargain. Hurry up and get it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts