AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to purchase the SBS-01 5.1 system from SVS. Is the PB-12NSD worth the extra 150.00. I have a Yamaha HTR-5960 in a 12 x 25 basement with carpeting and a drop ceiling. I guess the question is do I need the upgraded sub. This setup will be used mainly for movies. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I think for your sized room, the SVS PB12NSD will be worth the extra $150. You can never have enough headroom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've never listened to the PB10 but have the PB12 and love it... I like it for how it handles the lower frequencies, you really feel it ... it's kind of subtle, it really pulls you in and after the scene is over you realize you've just gotten off a great ride... so far the first canon scebne in Master and Commander is my favourite... my basement room is 10 X 14... I wouldn't consider switching to the PB10 (although I've heard great things about it) only because I've become so addicted to the lower extension of my PB12... it makes want to go and buy more movies... to me, I don't think a sub with better output in mid-base would have the same effect...

cheers,

martin

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
110% worth the extra

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sounds like the 12 is the way to go. Is everyone happy with the SVS system speakers as a whole package? Ive been listening to my sisters Polk Floorstanders Rt8's I think with small JBLs for rears and a Polk center and a "free" polk Sub they threw in. It sounds awesome. I'm wondering if SVS with the 12 will compare to the polks at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
never listened to the Polks... I've got the svs 5.0 and couldn't be happier... I'm mostly movies ... there's tons of threads in the speakers forum present and past... maybe look through there and post the same question... hopefuly someone chimes in for you who moved from a PB10 to a PB12...

cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampos /forum/post/0

never listened to the Polks... I've got the svs 5.0 and couldn't be happier... I'm mostly movies ... there's tons of threads in the speakers forum present and past... maybe look through there and post the same question... hopefuly someone chimes in for you who moved from a PB10 to a PB12...

cheers,

Martin

Come on...steer the guy correctly. I've auditioned both extensively. The SVS bookshelves are very nice and matched with an SVS sub it will be a wonderful HT and great musical experience. The Rti8s are a heck of a lot of speaker for the money, better for HT than music, but still damn good and cost more than the 5.0 SVS package. There is a big difference in the soundstage and imaging. Tweets are a bit bright on some content, but overall it's apples and oranges. The two speakers shouldn't be compared. However, Polk entry level subs are awful and their top of the line sub still doesn't touch the overall capability of the PB10 costing twice as much. This will make a huge difference in your overall HT experience. I'm a big fan of the SBS package, but if you want to build a system with capable floor standers (Polk or other), in front, for more money, you'll get an better experience...even better monitors/bookshelves (until SVS releases their MTS and higher end lines).

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Sorry kampos,

I thought I read something else. Anyway, OP, you won't be unhappy with the SBS system compared to your sisters, rig vs. rig. You'll be smoother at the top with a big advantage at the bottom.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I think the SBS speakers may be a little light for your room unless you are placing them closer than 25'. This is why I have been patiently waiting for the larger MTS line up. But my patience is wearing thin. I may go with a set of Ascends. But they are more expensive than the SBS speakers. The SBS speakers are also not the most efficient speakers at 85db. This means your amp has to use more power to get the same volume levels as speakers in the 93 db sensitivity range. You could ask for a package deal on all SCS-01 speakers.

You could also look at the HSU HB line of speakers. These are horn tweeters. Horns are usually brighter in the highs as are metallic dome tweeters. SVS and Ascend use soft dome tweeters which give a warmer, more subdued sound.

At my age I should probably look at the HSU or Axiom (metal tweeter) speakers. As we age, we start to loose our high frequency hearing, so a bright speaker might be better for me.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Just ask SVS for a package price and see what kind of deal they will offer. There's no real difference between the center channel of the SBS line and other dual driver mains. If you wanted to stand them up, you may need to rotate the tweeter 90 degrees to keep it on axis (simple task). Again, ask SVS about this.

Since they knock off about 5% for a 5.0 system, then 2 SBS-01s and 3 SCS-01s should run about $735 ($780 list). Add a PB10 or PB12 and get even more of a discount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.