AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, I was watching Overlord and noticed that my sub was making a buzzing sound along with the base from the movie. This was about 23 minutes into the movie. I put my ear right to the driver and its definitely coming from the driver. I have the Denon AVR-X3400H and had the master volume at around -12 and the sub was at +3 but it even happens at 0. the gain on the back of the sub was at the 1 o'clock position, so a little past half way. I went to http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ and played a sine wave test tone at 40hz and it also happens to that. I played Star Wars 9 during the scene where Ray fights Kylo Ren at the old death star and it was also making that buzzing sound. I'm playing the movie from a windows 10 machine using Plex. The PC is hooked up to the AVR using an HDMI cable. This is not normal right?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they want to ship me a new driver, I remove the current one and install the new driver. I can't ship them back the entire sub cause I don't have the boxing for it. Is it difficult to replace the driver? Will the sub sound the same after that? And why does this happen, I thought SVS subs were rock solid.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
velocci said:
they want to ship me a new driver, I remove the current one and install the new driver. ...
Sounds right.

... I can't ship them back the entire sub cause I don't have the boxing for it. ...
Hence the driver swap.

... Is it difficult to replace the driver? ...
Should be as straightforward as unscrewing the driver, easing it out of the cab and disconnecting the attached wires. Reverse the process to install the new driver.

... Will the sub sound the same after that? ...
It should sound exactly the same.

... And why does this happen, I thought SVS subs were rock solid.
Why? Because sometimes things break. The only thing more rock-solid than an SVS sub is their CS.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they gave me instructions and it seems straight forward, but I just know i'm going to get stuck with something unexpected and not know what to do. I'm not an audiophile. I've never done this before. Can this be done by a noob like me? :)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
they gave me instructions and it seems straight forward, but I just know i'm going to get stuck with something unexpected and not know what to do. I'm not an audiophile. I've never done this before. Can this be done by a noob like me? :)
Yes. Watch a video on swapping out a subwoofer driver. They're all pretty much the same. 8-10 screws, ease it out (can be heavy, can be stuck to the paint or sealed in tight). There will be a couple wires connected to the amp. Unpinch them from the amp terminals and they come loose. Reverse to put in the new driver. It really is easy.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
velocci said:
they gave me instructions and it seems straight forward ... Can this be done by a noob like me? :)
Yes.

... I'm not an audiophile. ...
"Audiophile" has nothing to do with swapping a subwoofer driver.

Anyway, I'm very un-handy and if I can assemble a couple of sub you should have no trouble swapping out a driver. The key is patience: Take your time, don't rush any part of the process and all will be well. :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so it looks like i'm getting a new driver. but what does it mean if the sub is making a buzzing sound along with the normal base from a movie? did I put it too loud? is it even a problem with the driver or could it be the amp?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not really qualified to say other than being an owner of one myself however I did a quick search on Google and there is a lot of chatter regarding swapping between different power outlets and RCA cables. Just throwing that out there if you haven't already done so. Hope your able solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plugged my other BIC F12 subwoofer using the same RCA and power cable and it was fine. so it has to be a problem with the SVS subwoofer. I can only assume I put it too loud at one point. But I never heard any distortion or clipping. plus, doesn't SVS subs have a mechanism to prevent any damage to to excessive volume?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I didn't install a replacement driver yet. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me. But in the meantime I brought down my BIC F12 sub downstairs to where the SVS sub was and plugged that in instead and it was fine. so that confirms that its a problem with the SVS sub itself rather than any cabling issues or any other issues elsewhere.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well if you have already ruled those out its likely the driver then. Especially if that's what SVS suggests. Once you swap it with the new driver that should solve it. Your settings in the AVR are fine. I've pushed my PB-2000 beyond that without any problems.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
doesn't SVS subs have a mechanism to prevent any damage to to excessive volume?

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
velocci said:
No I didn't install a replacement driver yet. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me. …
Oh.
… I brought down my BIC F12 sub … and plugged that in instead and it was fine. so that confirms that its a problem with the SVS sub itself rather than any cabling issues or any other issues elsewhere.
Which would explain why SVS is sending you a replacement driver.

Once you install the new driver - a straightforward process - you shouldn't hear any buzzing, and the new driver should sound exactly the same as the old driver. Why did the old driver start buzzing? Hard to say. Sometimes things break. The only thing more rock-solid than an SVS sub is their CS. :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
does SVS subs have a mechanism to prevent any damage to to excessive volume?

·
Registered
326 Posts
does SVS subs have a mechanism to prevent any damage to to excessive volume?

I believe it's mentioned somewhere in the manual but there should be an auto shutoff protection feature built into the amp to prevent the user from blowing the speaker. I don't have all the details but if you contact Ed Mullen over at SVS he can fill you in on all the details. He is usually very good at responding back fairly quickly. Make sure you ask for by name.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts