AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been looking into getting a new sub for a few months now and I'm not sure which way to go. Every time I start to think about which one I want, someone points me in another direction!

I'm been looking at the Rythmik LV12R, PSA XS15SE, and the SVS PB-2000.

I don't have anywhere near me to try any of these units...

Based on what I can see, the SVS and PSA should perform better than the LV12R. The PSA is the best looking to me. It is also $50 cheaper than the SVS, and slightly smaller.

I have a designated area for it, with in wall cables already, so I want to keep it in the same physical location.

Does anyone have experience with all 3, or even just 2? Is there something else I should be looking at that I'm not taking into account?

The room size is 19x10x9.5

There is an opening leading to a large room, that is behind my couch. The sub placement will be in the corner of the room (see attached).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
PSA and SVS offer free shipping both ways. Get both and try them out then send one back.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,868 Posts
Yep try em both. And don't be married to one location for a sub. Where you put it will make a bigger difference on how they sound than which sub you choose(to an extent..i.e. an orbit shifter will be better no matter where you put it)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did not know PSA offered that as well.
I ordered a PSA XV15se. I felt it was excellent down low, but in the mid range or perhaps at slightly lower volume levels, it didn't acoustically blend in my room or with my speakers very well. Also, my wife hated how it looked. I chose to send it back, and I found that Tom made the process very easy. While I didn't end up being a PSA customer, I was still impressed with their service.

Before I sent it back, I ordered a SVS PC-2000 (sounds the same as the PB-2000, just a different form factor). Aside from it passing the WAF test, it acoustically blended with my speakers and room much better. In every back to back test against the PSA, I preferred the way it sounded. The biggest difference for me was at moderate volumes, the SVS was much smoother and blended better. Cranked up to reference they both sound amazing, and the PSA hits a little harder. However, at every volume level below reference, the SVS won for me in my room.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a PSA XV15se. I felt it was excellent down low, but in the mid range or perhaps at slightly lower volume levels, it didn't acoustically blend in my room or with my speakers very well. Also, my wife hated how it looked. I chose to send it back, and I found that Tom made the process very easy. While I didn't end up being a PSA customer, I was still impressed with their service.

Before I sent it back, I ordered a SVS PC-2000 (sounds the same as the PB-2000, just a different form factor). Aside from it passing the WAF test, it acoustically blended with my speakers and room much better. In every back to back test against the PSA, I preferred the way it sounded. The biggest difference for me was at moderate volumes, the SVS was much smoother and blended better. Cranked up to reference they both sound amazing, and the PSA hits a little harder. However, at every volume level below reference, the SVS won for me in my room.
So the sealed PSA hit harder than the ported SVS at moderate volumes? Generally I listen at moderate volume. I plan to do a side by side test with both.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. I spoke to Tom. There is a deal going on right now for $749 for the XS15SE.

I'd like to compare it to the SVS PB-2000, but then I wonder if I need more than the PB-1000...

I guess I could compare the PB-1000 vs the XS15SE, but that really isn't a fair comparison, however I would then know if the PB-1000 is enough for my needs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't speak of a comparison of the subs you mention, but I have an elemental designs a7s450 that has a Dayton ultimax driver in it. This is a sealed sub with a 1300 watt RMS amplifier and an 18" driver. It is a beast of a subwoofer. And an output monster. I ordered a PSA xv15se and in my system the xv outshined the 450. It hit harder, sounded and felt more powerful, and was more satisfying to my ears. That is saying a lot!

I also ordered a v1500 as I figured it was everything the xv was and more, but ended up sending back the v1500 to get the xv again because I just could not seem to get the v1500 integrated into my system in my room. I have no idea why because its louder, plays deeper and has a smoother FR. I tried about 6 different locations but just could not get it to have the impact and power that I immediately got with the xv. So for me, the xv15se is an amazing sub and the one for me. And it is ridiculously awesome coupled with the 450!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Don't assume your new sub will sound best in that spot. It might, but probably not. A subwoofer crawl will help you place the subwoofer in the optimal spot.

As of the wires? Get a wireless transmitter. That'll give you the flexibility of putting your new subwoofer in its best place.

·
Vendor
6,322 Posts
I can't speak of a comparison of the subs you mention, but I have an elemental designs a7s450 that has a Dayton ultimax driver in it. This is a sealed sub with a 1300 watt RMS amplifier and an 18" driver. It is a beast of a subwoofer. And an output monster. I ordered a PSA xv15se and in my system the xv outshined the 450. It hit harder, sounded and felt more powerful, and was more satisfying to my ears. That is saying a lot!

I also ordered a v1500 as I figured it was everything the xv was and more, but ended up sending back the v1500 to get the xv again because I just could not seem to get the v1500 integrated into my system in my room. I have no idea why because its louder, plays deeper and has a smoother FR. I tried about 6 different locations but just could not get it to have the impact and power that I immediately got with the xv. So for me, the xv15se is an amazing sub and the one for me. And it is ridiculously awesome coupled with the 450!
Folks sometimes try to judge a subwoofer based only on one performance metric. Even worse, we something make assumptions based on overly simplistic considerations like driver "xmax" or amp "power". We can see this trend now with products that have never even been built or measured by anyone. "Oh, product YU343UY is going to have a 2000 watt amp *rating* and a 50 pound driver....that's all I need to know...I now claim its the greatest subwoofer ever built. Well, not actually BUILT yet. But it's still the greatest product ever...;)

I think some would be surprised that due diligence and proper engineering can have "half the amp power" and "half the driver weight" fairing well. Then again, the due diligence part is expensive and time consuming so its not for everyone I suppose.

The V1500 not working as well as the XV15se for you is interesting. I know we;ve had some email discussion on this. I wonder if the V1500 isn't 100% or perhaps just the down firing aspect of the XV15se just works that much better for your specific room environment. Once we get the V1500 we'll know more.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah that's the only thing I can come up with Tom. Either my room likes that down firing woofer or my ears do. Or both. Because I know the v1500 is the better sub. It goes to show everybody has there own specific expectations and perceptions. I'm still blown away by the fact that the xv15se outperforms the gargantuan 450! You make some unbelievably awesome subwoofers! And your customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the great responses. I specifically need a sub that is no wider than 17". The area in the room is literally the only place I can put it w/o it becoming obtrusive.

If I put it any other place, it will just be in the way of other things that would have no other place in the room. It is a livingroom, not a dedicated theater room (yet). Once I get to that point, I'll be tearing walls open and placing power outlets all over the place!

I realize only the PSA XS15SE, Rythmik LV12R and the SVS PB-1000 work in that space.

The XS15SE is the most expensive of the 3, and I don't know if it will provide me the bang/impact for the scenes. I'm sure it is excellent for music, but I'm 90% movies/tv, 10% music.
Brand ---------- Model ---------- Price
PSA ---------- XS15SE ---------- $749.99
Rythmik ---------- LV12R ---------- $569.99
SVS ---------- PB-1000 ---------- 499.99

The I don't need to shake the room, but I do want to feel something with some good impact for movies.

The XV15SE is too expensive and it is also 23" tall...
I don't have to worry about depth, but I do need 17"w X 20" max.

I may order the SVS PB1000 and the XS15SE for a side by side comparison, probably today or tomorrow, however the LV12R is tempting too...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I don't need to shake the room, but I do want to feel something with some good impact for movies.

The XV15SE is too expensive and it is also 23" tall...
I don't have to worry about depth, but I do need 17"w X 20" max.

I may order the SVS PB1000 and the XS15SE for a side by side comparison, probably today or tomorrow, however the LV12R is tempting too...
It really won’t matter much which subwoofer you get if you cannot locate it properly. The quickest way to do this is via the subwoofer crawl test (minor adjustments are usually necessary). You need to look around your room and determine several possible locations. If the sonic gods are with you (and usually they aren’t), you’ll find a spot that provides great bass at the listening position that isn’t too conspicuous.

If you have only one listening position (a couch or a couple of chairs near each other), a single sub could work out for you, but be prepared to add a second if you can’t get good bass over that listening area. And yes, it’s a good idea to compare subwoofers in your home (I compared 3 different subs).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ordered the SVS PB-1000 and the PSA XS15se.

I know these aren't in the same price range, and not apples to apples, but if I go for a sealed sub, I want the PSA.

The PB-1000 will probably hit pretty hard, and if it sounds good to me, odds are I'll keep it and save $250.

In regards to the 2nd sub, I may consider that in the future. I am coming from a Polk PSW505, which I feel doesn't get low enough.

For a 2nd sub, I may purchase a wireless kit for it. 2x PB-1000 might provide more coverage, but I have only two seating areas. The main, hopefully, will be covered by the new sub. I believe it is the best position for the current sub, but I understand it may not be for the new one.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
For a 2nd sub, I may purchase a wireless kit for it. 2x PB-1000 might provide more coverage, but I have only two seating areas. The main, hopefully, will be covered by the new sub. I believe it is the best position for the current sub, but I understand it may not be for the new one.
A position that's good for your Polk, should be just as good for any other subwoofer. Since you have the Polk, do the subwoofer crawl test to confirm that your current location is the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just ordered the SVS PB-1000 and the PSA XS15se.

I know these aren't in the same price range, and not apples to apples, but if I go for a sealed sub, I want the PSA.

The PB-1000 will probably hit pretty hard, and if it sounds good to me, odds are I'll keep it and save $250.

In regards to the 2nd sub, I may consider that in the future. I am coming from a Polk PSW505, which I feel doesn't get low enough.

I was in a similar position to you. The difference is I live in an apartment and didn't want to seriously piss off my neighbors with a ridiculous sub, yet still wanted something that would be adequate when I buy a house in a few years. I'm definitely size- and location-constrained as well. I was comparing the PC-2000 to the PSA XS15se. I decided to go with the PSA based off of recommendations and the fact it's an American-based, American-assembled product. Just to give you an idea of what you can expect, I'm sitting in a 3300ish cu.ft. open room watching Avengers with the gain at noon (usually 2 o'clock position is recommended) and with the sub level dropped 3dB from Audyssey's setting. My table and couch (about 12-15ft. from the sub) clearly shake/vibrate. It's pretty fantastic. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was in a similar position to you. The difference is I live in an apartment and didn't want to seriously piss off my neighbors with a ridiculous sub, yet still wanted something that would be adequate when I buy a house in a few years. I'm definitely size- and location-constrained as well. I was comparing the PC-2000 to the PSA XS15se. I decided to go with the PSA based off of recommendations and the fact it's an American-based, American-assembled product. Just to give you an idea of what you can expect, I'm sitting in a 3300ish cu.ft. open room watching Avengers with the gain at noon (usually 2 o'clock position is recommended) and with the sub level dropped 3dB from Audyssey's setting. My table and couch (about 12-15ft. from the sub) clearly shake/vibrate. It's pretty fantastic. :)
Hearing how awesome the XS15se is, is very cool. Can't wait to receive my test unit. It should ship on Friday, so maybe I'll have it Monday or Tuesday next week.

The PB-1000 should ship today.

I'll be testing with scenes from Hobbit trilogy, LotRs trilogy and definitely the Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Rises.... and I'll throw in some Avengers, Iron Man/2/3....

I think those are some good movies to test with.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Only 1800 cu. ft. - I'd say a single XS15 should do you just fine. :)

Looks like the corner you are planning on doesn't look too bad:

But midwall is slightly better:

These were done with the REW Room Sim. Download REW and play around with it. ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts