AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this kind of post has been played-out (especially with SVS vs HSU), but I was wondering what people's opinions are on each of these subwoofers.

I'm mostly interested in hearing from people that have auditioned more than one of the above-listed subs.

Here's my situation. I'm kinda short on $$ and I've been waiting for a couple months now to buy a sub for my HT setup. I'm fairly confident that if I wait and save up for an HSU or SVS (~$500) I'll be quite happy and may deter upgrade-itis for a few years at least.

Now, my big question. Because I've never bought a stand-alone sub before (I've owned several pre-packaged 4.1 and 5.1 systems), I think I may be satisfied with my less expensive subwoofer options. I can get both the JBL and BIC subs on-line for about $200-$250 which is half the SVS/HSU price. At any rate, my only limiting factor is $$ and my most important criterion is Sound Quality. If any of these subs are unacceptably muddy or boomy, please let me know and they will be forever removed from my list :)

Here's the breakdown of what I know about each sub:

SVS PB10:

10" - 300w RMS - down to 20Hz - 60lbs - $470

Most likely plays the deepest and loudest of all these contenders. From what I've read, it also performs fairly well with the subtleties of music. I (obviously) cannot audition this one myself.

HSU STF2

10" - 200w RMS - down to 25Hz - 44lbs - $426

From what I've read HSU's are very musical and can hold their own in Home Theatre applications as well. I cannot audition this one.

JBL E250P

12" - 250w RMS - down to 25Hz - 43lbs - $250 or less on E-bay

This is the only subwoofer (of the 4) that I have had the chance to audition. Of all the subs sold at Best Buy and Circuit City, I tend to like this one best. Because of my limited control of the playing material, all I could discriminate is that the sub does not sound "boomy", there is little perceivable port noise, and it can play loud! I was wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to try some more rigorous music material on this sub to better determine sound quality? The Velodyne DPS-12 also sounded nice, but at $550 I may as well go with HSU or SVS.

BIC Acoustech H-100

12" - 150w RMS - down to 24Hz - 38lbs - $160 on E-bay

My 5 channel HT setup right now is made up of 4 BIC dv62-si bookshelf speakers and a dv62-clr center channel. I did some online research on BIC's classic subwoofer offerings and found very few reviews (which most likely means that they're unimpressive). I even auditioned the v1220 in a Hi-Fi shop by my home. I liked it more than my HTiB Onkyo subwoofer that I've used for about a year but I wasn't "blown away" like the SVS and HSU advocates say. So, once I found out that BIC had a new line of speakers, I did some research and found that supposedly, the H-100 was tweaked by Dr. Hsu. I also found a forum post by someone who owns both the H-100 and a PB10 who honestly said that of course the H-100 is not in the same "league" as the PB10, but it's a formidible subwoofer nevertheless. With this sub costing the least out of the 4 I'm considering, I would really like to know if it sounds good with music (not slugish and boomy).

So, this brings me to my final question. I am extremely interested in auditioning the SVS, HSU, and BIC subs, but I can't demo them anywhere because no B&M stores sell them. I live in Chicago, IL and would be infinitely grateful if someone in the area that owns any of these subs (heck, even the JBL) would be willing to give me a listen sometime.

Let me know your thoughts on these subs and if anyone living withing 30 miles of Chicago has these subs, let me know!

Thank You,

Chicago Dan

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
I mostly build subwoofers, but I recently bought myself the SVS PB10 and I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance. Deep, clean, loud; it can pressurize the room quite nicely and belt out low frequencies with conviction.

Out of the four listed subwoofers, the PB10 should outperform them handily in the lowest frequencies. A much lower tune, bigger cabinet, deeper bass extension, higher linear one-way excursion; all these things will contribute to it's performance edge. I have not heard the other subwoofers you mentioned, but just in terms of clean output, it will win hands down in the deepest frequencies.

--Sincerely,

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
The PB10 often makes me think:"Who needs more?", it's almost as if SVS built them to good :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMiner
The PB10 often makes me think:"Who needs more?", it's almost as if SVS built them to good :)

OK that takes it a little too far :) I for one need much more. It's a great design but it doesn't cure cancer...

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
seconded...
Third.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I personally prefer the HSU STF-2. In most average size rooms it will compete with the PB10 but it's size won't over whelm your HT space. For the money I think the H-100 is a better choice then JBL, but then again I'm not a big JBL fan and most of their subs don't extend low enough for their price range.

Ian

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Quote:
The PB10 often makes me think:"Who needs more?", it's almost as if SVS built them to good
Well, okay. On demanding bass passages at very high output levels, the PB10 will compress. Heavily. Even at reasonable levels, like -15 from reference, the subwoofer will audibly compress on certain demanding dvd's. Try playing back the LOTR ring drop scene at -10 from reference. Then up the volume to -14. You'll notice a heck of lot of output compression on that scene.

In order for me to reach uncompressed output at -10, I would need roughly two of them corner loaded. But then I don't use them for my main theater so I need to worry about it. :)

--Sincerely,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten
Well, okay. On demanding bass passages at very high output levels, the PB10 will compress. Heavily. Even at reasonable levels, like -15 from reference, the subwoofer will audibly compress on certain demanding dvd's. Try playing back the LOTR ring drop scene at -10 from reference. Then up the volume to -14. You'll notice a heck of lot of output compression on that scene.

In order for me to reach uncompressed output at -10, I would need roughly two of them corner loaded. But then I don't use them for my main theater so I need to worry about it. :)

--Sincerely,
I never play above -13, and that is just for testing. So I'll rephrase :"Why would anyone with normal hearing ever need more" ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
goneten: Your link doesn't work for me.

Personally, I didn't like the JBL E250 - it *did* sound boomy to me, but the Best Buy demo experience is so bad that I probably shouldn't judge it only on that. Your H-100 price keeps getting higher, all the talk here has really driven up the price. The last couple have sold for over $150, plus the $50 shipping. I'm in California, so I would also need to tack-on another 8.25% for the govenator. Since the H-100 can be had from an authorized dealer for around $260 shipped with no tax, the ebay deal is looking less attractive to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
goneten: Your link doesn't work for me.

Personally, I didn't like the JBL E250 - it *did* sound boomy to me, but the Best Buy demo experience is so bad that I probably shouldn't judge it only on that. Your H-100 price keeps getting higher, all the talk here has really driven up the price. The last couple have sold for over $150, plus the $50 shipping. I'm in California, so I would also need to tack-on another 8.25% for the govenator. Since the H-100 can be had from an authorized dealer for around $260 shipped with no tax, the ebay deal is looking less attractive to me.
I agree w/billybob. Between $200+ from the liquidator and the $260 shipped from an authorized dealer, it's probably safer and less hassle to get it from an authorized dealer (in case something is wrong w/the sub).

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
goneten: Here's the message I'm getting from AVS:

"Invalid Attachment specified. The post or the thread may have been moved into the archive.

Please try clicking HERE to read the archived post or thread. (If not found, it was removed.)

If you need further help, please notify the administrator."

When I clicked on the HERE link, it was just another message telling me the thread attachment was invalid. I tried from two different computers using two different browsers (firefox & IE) with the same error. If I had to guess, I would say you have that page cached locally and your browser may not be actually requesting it from the server. Just a guess, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I was pretty much already aware of mostly everything said here.

I've done as much research as I possibly could (dozens of hours of google searches) on all subwoofers that sparked my interest. I've read most of the articles on the PB10; the same goes for the HSU line. So many people here love these subs that I trust that they're great. I know that people at this forum are pretty qualified to give advice b/c most likely they've experience many different brands of speakers in their lifetime.

I'm a college student that works part-time. I have a money problem right now because I got in a car accident (-$1000), was a groomsman in two consecutive weddings (-$400), and have to go to Michigan this weekend for another wedding (-$75). That pretty much ate up most of my checking account and I'm really pissed b/c before the car accident, I was planning on buying the PB10. Now I kinda have to rethink my spending habits.

I guess what I'm really trying to squeeze out of you guys is an endorsement for the cheaper subs. I just want to know if either the BIC or JBL will be "good enough" to keep upgraditis at bay for a year or two. If I wait another 3 months, I should have my bank account to a level where I can be guilt-free about purchasing a $500 dollar sub.

I would assume that everybody is of the mind "save up and get the better sub" but I'd first like to be absolutely certain that the JBL and BIC are not a worthwhile investment.

I really, really, wanna hear these subs. Does anyone own one of them and live in the Chicago-land area?? Drop me a line. I'll bring over some beer!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. However, I was pretty much already aware of mostly everything said here.

I've done as much research as I possibly could (dozens of hours of google searches) on all subwoofers that sparked my interest. I've read most of the articles on the PB10; the same goes for the HSU line. So many people here love these subs that I trust that they're great. I know that people at this forum are pretty qualified to give advice b/c most likely they've experience many different brands of speakers in their lifetime. I've read hundreds of near-perfect review of the JBL sub at audioreview, but I figure that the subs are sold at Best Buy and the people that shop at Best Buy are... well... the people that shop at Best Buy. So I really can't put too much stock in those reviews.

Here's the problem: I'm a college student that works part-time. I have a money issue right now because I got in a car accident (-$1000), was a groomsman in two consecutive weddings (-$400), and have to go to Michigan this weekend for another wedding (-$75). That pretty much ate up most of my checking account and I'm really pissed b/c before the car accident, I was planning on buying the PB10. Now I kinda have to rethink my spending habits.

I guess what I'm really trying to squeeze out of you guys is an endorsement for the cheaper subs. I just want to know if either the BIC or JBL will be "good enough" to keep upgraditis at bay for a year or two. If I wait another 3 months, I should have my bank account to a level where I can be guilt-free about purchasing a $500 dollar sub.

I would assume that everybody is of the mind "save up and get the better sub" but I'd first like to be absolutely certain that the JBL and BIC are not a worthwhile investment.

I really, really, wanna hear these subs. Does anyone own one of them and live in the Chicago-land area?? Drop me a line. I'll bring over some beer!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I own the Bic and think its more then worth the money, it goes down to 24 hz with no problems and hits pretty clean, i like the way it looks too. I tried the Jbl and i thought it sounded good, just not as good. Alot of people rip on the jbl and i think its because of the model before the e250 which sucked horribly, however they fixed the e250 and ive taken one apart and the construction is pretty sound and i haven't heard of any that have broken down. I definitely don't agree with mailing who says it doesn't go down far enough for the money its the least expensive sub i've found that hits 25hz i've found it for $220 shipped.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.